The Student Room Group

Sixth formers! Assemble!

How many free periods do you have per week?
Can you go out of school during free periods?
Is sixth form life bliss?
Can you go do some volunteering during free periods ? (out of school)??
Yes, I love free periods!

I know it probably varies from sixth form to sixth form, but just wanted to know anyway
So I'm no longer a sixth former, but I will answer what I remember:

1) Not sure how many I had each week.
2) We were allowed to leave my sixth form during free periods, which I did a fair few times. That said there's not a lot you can get done in an hour once you factor in travel to and from your destination, unless your free periods are at the end of the day or you have consecutive free periods.
3) I enjoyed sixth form, but I'd be careful about getting unrealistic expectations.
4) Maybe? This depends on your sixth form's policy on leaving, and on you being able to find suitable volunteering opportunities.

I think a lot of places tend to refer to them as "study periods" rather than "free". Although it's fine to use the time for administrative tasks and some extracurriculars, I think there is an expectation that you try to get some actual work done in those periods.
(edited 3 years ago)
No longer a sixth former. I guess you could say I'm a former sixth former (I'm sorry)

Of the 5 hours I had between 0 and 3 of them being free/study periods, so about 7 a week, we had to study for most of them, unless the teacher was away or if we got a free room. We had forced RE as I went to catholic school, we also had games/PE (but I usually snuck out of skl for that).

We could not do volunteering during free periods, i did them after school for an hour (teaching year 11s).
If our year group was well behaved we could leave after lunch if we only had free periods.

Imo sixth form life was "bliss"
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by gyuigygh
No longer a sixth former. I guess you could say I'm a former sixth former (I'm sorry)

Of the 5 hours I had between 0 and 3 of them being free/study periods, so about 7 a week, we had to study for most of them, unless the teacher was away or if we got a free room. We had forced RE as I went to catholic school, we also had games/PE (but I usually snuck out of skl for that).

We could not do volunteering during free periods, i did them after school for an hour (teaching year 11s).
If our year group was well behaved we could leave after lunch if we only had free periods.

Imo sixth form life was "bliss"

AHHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You had forced religious education!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
Original post by coolchem
AHHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You had forced religious education!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Yes, it was such a pain, although usually we went onto random crap like sexual consent and climate change.

No one cared for most of the year and our teacher reported the class coz she felt bullied, so idk, it wasn't completely boring, but i definitley wouldn't have done it if I didn't need to
Reply 5
Original post by coolchem
How many free periods do you have per week?
Can you go out of school during free periods?
Is sixth form life bliss?
Can you go do some volunteering during free periods ? (out of school)??
Yes, I love free periods!

I know it probably varies from sixth form to sixth form, but just wanted to know anyway

1) we had 10 per week
2) nope no way lmao we were only allowed out for lunch but we did have this thing called home study where if your grades were good you’d be able to like go home during some of your free periods. the better your grades are compared to you target grades, the more home study you get. it was a little unfair tho because people with target grades of C’s could get D’s and still get more home study than someone with target grades of A’s getting B’s.
3) i had loads of fun but it was also really stressful esp with maths. i miss it so much.
4) nope unless you have home study

Quick Reply

Latest