The Student Room Group

Is anyone thinking of going Newstead Wood sixth form 2023?

Hi, I’m an internal at Newstead and I’d like to meet / get to know some externals when the academic year begins. Generally our school has a chill atmosphere and the teachers in sixth form accommodate to our courses and learning well from what I know…. ^-^
Reply 1
Hi there

I'm an external from Weald of Kent Grammar (Sevenoaks site) and I've been offered a place this year at Newstead to study Biology, Chemistry and Spanish. I've been offered a place at quite a few schools such as Judd and Olaves but I've managed to shortlist a top 2 schools being Togs (Tonbridge grammar school) which studies the IB and Newstead. Both seem like great schools but I'm really not sure which to go to. I've heard Newstead is a very high stress environment would you agree with that? Is the pastoral and mental health support good? It's been a while since I last visited the school even though I live really close but the facilities seemed pretty decent. Is the sixth form area good and well equipped? I'm not entirely sure on what carreer I want to do yet but at the moment I'm thinking dentistry or Vet med. I've heard carreer and uni support at Newstead Newstead great, do you agree? Also have you done any of the bridging work yet because what I've done is very little...

Sorry to absolutely bombard you with questions even though you haven't actually started the sixth form! I'm just a little nervous as moving sixth forms is such a big decision. What A levels are you doing?

I'll see you maybe in a few weeks :")
Reply 2
Oh also I just wanted to ask are there many external sixth formers at Newstead? Lol sorry I promise there are no more questions
Original post by Caotica
Hi there

I'm an external from Weald of Kent Grammar (Sevenoaks site) and I've been offered a place this year at Newstead to study Biology, Chemistry and Spanish. I've been offered a place at quite a few schools such as Judd and Olaves but I've managed to shortlist a top 2 schools being Togs (Tonbridge grammar school) which studies the IB and Newstead. Both seem like great schools but I'm really not sure which to go to. I've heard Newstead is a very high stress environment would you agree with that? Is the pastoral and mental health support good? It's been a while since I last visited the school even though I live really close but the facilities seemed pretty decent. Is the sixth form area good and well equipped? I'm not entirely sure on what carreer I want to do yet but at the moment I'm thinking dentistry or Vet med. I've heard carreer and uni support at Newstead Newstead great, do you agree? Also have you done any of the bridging work yet because what I've done is very little...

Sorry to absolutely bombard you with questions even though you haven't actually started the sixth form! I'm just a little nervous as moving sixth forms is such a big decision. What A levels are you doing?

I'll see you maybe in a few weeks :")

Glad I got a response, I'm happy to answer your questions! :>

Hello and no, I think as a whole Newstead is known for being quite a chill sixth form (I'm not sure who said it was high stress... A-Levels would be a stressful time in any school, but Newstead has a relatively high amount of chill-er teachers, timetable, etc.). Personally, I'd agree that it is a more relaxed environment than Olaves for example but I'm not sure about Togs. Also yes, we have a careers team / advisors / general teachers or staff who support you through your career decisions. I believe you can also switch your A-Level choices at the start of the year if you feel you've made the wrong choice. I was struggling with personal issues in year 11 and the teachers were on the whole supportive and understanding, and gave me suggestions on how to go forward, whereas in some other schools it may not be the same. We have a student support room which is great, but my only criticism would be that they only give you 10 minutes time-out from class when you're stressed (but it's fine for most people depending on their situation). If you found the facilities decent, you could think about coming! Our sixth form block is more modern-looking than the rest of the school and the classrooms there are spacious + general atmosphere among sixth formers seems good. Many sixth formers use our library during study periods which was recently redesigned and it is looking pretty amazing, large and modern with over a dozen computers. In sixth form, we can also use our phones at breaks and lunch, and I was told we will have one free period and one study period per day. There is also an enrichment period once a week for electives. I'm doing physics, maths and computer science so I wouldn't be in any of your classes, but I haven't finished the bridging work myself for any of these subjects so don't worry. It's understandable to be nervous, I am too!

From past observation I think about 30-40% of sixth form were externals (but my observations could be wrong lol). You could private message me if you have more questions, if not that's fine too :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending