The Student Room Group

mental illness in academia

do you think there should be considerations taken for people with mental illness in gcses, a levels and even uni applications and exams?
i think its so important - it needs to be incorporated immediately, BORIS
its approched so poorly, the dofe, shcools and unis claim to care but if they are trying - they need to try harder.
whats your thoughts and experiences? x

Scroll to see replies

There is a system for considering this type of thing for uni applications.

What considerations in particular would you want to see?
Reply 2
Original post by _gcx
There is a system for considering this type of thing for uni applications.

What considerations in particular would you want to see?

fr? what are they thinking? and i really think there needs to be circumstances where if students cant sit exams due to mental illness, their predicted grades are given as an alternative to sitting exams... basically the covid situation
People with diagnosed anxiety etc are allowed to take breaks in the exams, and teachers can write about the student’s mh issues in their reference for university which could get them more consideration
Original post by Anonymous
fr? what are they thinking? and i really think there needs to be circumstances where if students cant sit exams due to mental illness, their predicted grades are given as an alternative to sitting exams... basically the covid situation

I really don't know what you're looking for.

This already happens in exceptional circumstances. If a student for example is hospitalised or similar and not in a fit state to take the exam - they can receive a calculated grade given enough of the GCSE or A-level has completed. The mark is estimated using this process: https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration/other-documents/estimating-the-missing-mark-when-a-candidate-is-absent/
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
What are you asking for?
do you think there should be considerations taken for people with mental illness in gcses, a levels and even uni applications and exams?
i think its so important - it needs to be incorporated immediately, BORIS
its approched so poorly, the dofe, shcools and unis claim to care but if they are trying - they need to try harder.
whats your thoughts and experiences? x

There should be help and support, and allowances for a limited number of issues. However, given that a qualification is meant to indicate your level of achievement, it isn't academically honest to adjust grades.

As an employer, I want to know the level of work that an individual can produce, on a regular basis, and without taking significantly more time than other candidates. As a human, I want people to get better.
Reply 7
Original post by _gcx
I really don't know what you're looking for.

This already happens in exceptional circumstances. If a student for example is hospitalised or similar and not in a fit state to take the exam - they can receive a calculated grade given enough of the GCSE or A-level has completed. The mark is estimated using this process: https://www.jcq.org.uk/exams-office/access-arrangements-and-special-consideration/other-documents/estimating-the-missing-mark-when-a-candidate-is-absent/

wasn't for me
wasn't for me

It's worth reading into what support systems exist.

The system for extenuating circumstances in exams doesn't raise the grade that much (after all it has to be an honest reflection of their exam performance) - it would be up to you and the referee of any uni application to contextualise this disappointing grade.
I believe it is honest, you cant comprehend how much ones mental health impacts their ability to sit exams.

Actually, I do. That point is that an employer needs to know an individual's typical ability, under pressure.

I am the most academically capable student in my year in my subjects - said by heads of subjects. Yet, I cant sit exams due to my inability to cope with academic pressure.

In industry, you have to work well under pressure. This is not a judgement on people with mental health issues, it is reality. Many people have these at some point in their life, and everyone deserves help to work through them. However, they can impact a person's ability to perform a job.

Employers must be free to hire the most efficient employees. They are not charities, but should support their employees through temporary issues.
Original post by RogerOxon
Actually, I do. That point is that an employer needs to know an individual's typical ability, under pressure.

In industry, you have to work well under pressure. This is not a judgement on people with mental health issues, it is reality. Many people have these at some point in their life, and everyone deserves help to work through them. However, they can impact a person's ability to perform a job.

Employers must be free to hire the most efficient employees. They are not charities, but should support their employees through temporary issues.

As a professor of mine said on the first day of class: "You don't get extra time in the workplace".
There are already systems in place for those with mental health issues but unfortunately some universities still operate under the Fit to Sit policy which isn't the best. My uni's extenuating circumstances policy meant that when I failed an exam in second year, it was condoned and I was still able to graduate with the rest of my class. Now I'm doing an MSc, extenuating circumstances have enabled me to receive an extension and a deferral if the worst comes to the worst.
(edited 3 years ago)
As an employer, I want to know the level of work that an individual can produce, on a regular basis, and without taking significantly more time than other candidates. As a human, I want people to get better.

I think this point is widely misunderstood and I find your comments some decades out of date.

From the point of view of the employer and business, some employees with mental health problems make fabulously good employees. Managers have exploited this for thousands of years. Everyone is different and some are more visible than others. You seem to be focussing on the negatives here.

From the person's point of view though even if they are fabulous employees and exploited, it doesn't necessarily mean it's good for their health.
Original post by marinade
I think this point is widely misunderstood and I find your comments some decades out of date.

Care to explain exactly what you take issue with? Note that I didn't even mention mental illness in the text that you quoted - it was a general point that qualifications should indicate ability, including under time constraints.

Original post by marinade
From the point of view of the employer and business, some employees with mental health problems make fabulously good employees. Managers have exploited this for thousands of years. Everyone is different and some are more visible than others. You seem to be focussing on the negatives here.

The context of this thread is making allowances for reduced performance. I answered in that context.

You're clearly discriminating against those with mental illness - which is illegal.
You're clearly discriminating against those with mental illness - which is illegal.

Wrong. Nothing I said implies that. You should be careful about making unfounded allegations.
It’s a difficult situation because there are individuals who really need special measures because of their mental health, but there are others who will claim to have mental health issues and milk the rewards of whatever measures they offer
Reply 17
i've had provisions put in place all through uni because i have long-term anxiety. they gave me extra time in exams, a use of a laptop for exams (because i have shaky hands from anxiety), longer book loans because i'm a slow reader, they don't ask me questions in seminars because i might panic from the attention. but i wouldn't go so far as i can't write the final exam at all. if i can't write the final exam at all, i shouldn't be at university.

as far as uni applications, yes i think it should be considered in terms of past performance. but not in the sense that unis should ignore the fact an applicant may not be fit to study the degree. the fact is, it's more responsible to reject an applicant if they are unfit than to take their money and watch them fail.
Original post by blueberrybowl
It’s a difficult situation because there are individuals who really need special measures because of their mental health, but there are others who will claim to have mental health issues and milk the rewards of whatever measures they offer

yeah, of course. i surmise it would be those who fit criteria similar to pip claimants
Original post by Joleee
i've had provisions put in place all through uni because i have long-term anxiety. they gave me extra time in exams, a use of a laptop for exams (because i have shaky hands from anxiety), longer book loans because i'm a slow reader, they don't ask me questions in seminars because i might panic from the attention. but i wouldn't go so far as i can't write the final exam at all. if i can't write the final exam at all, i shouldn't be at university.

as far as uni applications, yes i think it should be considered in terms of past performance. but not in the sense that unis should ignore the fact an applicant may not be fit to study the degree. the fact is, it's more responsible to reject an applicant if they are unfit than to take their money and watch them fail.

uni - a different argument because its a choice, although, I dont beleive its fair for students with mental illness to be unable to attend uni due to inability to cope with exams, its beyonf their control and of course the unis too but it needs to be better accommodated. however, in regards to gcses and alevels, I do believe students with sever mental illness (strict criteria, and psychiatrist's etc say) - encouraged by exams, should be given the opportunity for an alternative.

Quick Reply

Latest