The Student Room Group

How to accentuate ur curls?

So I have curly hair. I don’t know a lot about hair products so any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.
How do I get my hair not to be frizzy but just curly?
Any good products?
Also how should you brush curly hair?
What type of hair brush is good for curly hair?
I use a paddle brush but it’s really hard and I usually have a hard time brushing my hair especially the morning after I take a shower.

Like I sed Idk much about hair so I need help😁.
Reply 1
Original post by glowing_starfish
So I have curly hair. I don’t know a lot about hair products so any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.
Any good products?
I use a paddle brush but it’s really hard and I usually have a hard time brushing my hair especially the morning after I take a shower.

Well tell us more about hair! Are you of African heritage? How curly is your hair? how long is it?
Original post by mgi
Well tell us more about hair! Are you of African heritage? How curly is your hair? how long is it?

Indian actually. My hair has its frizzy days and also calm n just curly days. Even if I straighten my hair it always rebounds to being curly (but like smooth curls that don’t knot). Both my parents are Indian but my mum definitely has way crazier hair. She doesn’t rly put a lot of effort in her hair but if u ask me if she knew the right products I bet it would look so much better. My dad on the other hand is just normal curly. So with so much curl ofc I had to have curly hair buttttt the weird thing is my little brother has straight hair n like zero curls - likeee wattttt??
My hair, just at the start of quarantine was at around the bottom of my shoulder blades but now I’d say it can reach my belly button.
A wide-tooth comb is better for curly hair. Work in sections to detangle the bottom first and then work up toward the top. Do your best to avoid hairdryers/curlers/etc because this can cause frizziness.
Indian actually. My hair has its frizzy days and also calm n just curly days. Even if I straighten my hair it always rebounds to being curly (but like smooth curls that don’t knot). Both my parents are Indian but my mum definitely has way crazier hair. She doesn’t rly put a lot of effort in her hair but if u ask me if she knew the right products I bet it would look so much better. My dad on the other hand is just normal curly. So with so much curl ofc I had to have curly hair buttttt the weird thing is my little brother has straight hair n like zero curls - likeee wattttt??
My hair, just at the start of quarantine was at around the bottom of my shoulder blades but now I’d say it can reach my belly button.

wow ur hair grew quickly

my hair was past my shoulders at the beginning and now its like 3 inches above my belly button
I have curly hair and I actually don’t bother with it. It’s too much hard work and you’ll need some juicy products. Go to any black beauty store and you’ll see all the girl products. I do like this product though:
382C1B7A-4C00-49EB-A904-91A5AA22FFA4.jpeg
I do have 4a type hair though
Reply 6

One thing: don't brush your lovely long curly hair!
https://www.dove.com/in/stories/tips-and-how-to/hair-care-tips-advice/how-to-take-care-of-curly-hair.html
figure out what your hair type is first
https://www.allure.com/gallery/curl-hair-type-guide
then search how to look after that hair type

Tyyyy so much I’ll look into itt
Original post by Realistic2391
figure out what your hair type is first
https://www.allure.com/gallery/curl-hair-type-guide
then search how to look after that hair type

Tyy
Reply 10
Tyyyy so much I’ll look into itt

No problem. Good luck.
Any good products?

Shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie is a good product dont use too tooooo much of it though
I also use not your mothers curl talk creme,
LA Giovanni gel,
The CURLS blueberry bliss line I’ve heard is also quite good.
make sure to style your hair wet. So for reference my hair is type 3 so ringlets and a few 2a pieces somewhere. I come out of the shower and use noughtys hydration mask as a last step after shampooing. This helps to make my hair easy to detangle.

The second I’m out I brush through my hair, I add AsIAm’s hydration lotion, 3 pumps throughout my hair and brush, stray away from the roots a bit. I then add shea moistures curl enhancing smoothie and scrunch, then I keep scrunching, you should hair a “squish squish” sound (thags how wet your hair should be) tip your head down, and scrunch.
then I add not your mothers curl defining cream, a small dollop of that and scrunch
then I also add a tiny tiny bit of john freidas defining creme this isn’t the best product but it’s what I use. Then I keep scrunching.
then I add LA giovanni curl defining gel, (pink bottle) add a decent amount of gel but don’t overload it obviously. Again scrunch and focus most of the product on ends and mid section of the hair. At this point my head is still tipped over.

use a micro fibre towel to scrunch and get rid of excess product and reduce frizz and it also helps ur hair to dry faster.

then u can use a diffuser on low/medium heat to help ur hair to dry. try hover diffusing first concentrate on ur roots and midsection as these can take longer to dry.

hover diffusing involves using a diffuser and keeping it at arms (ish) reach of your head so your not really touching ur hair while u do this. Then I turn off the diffuser after a few minutes, keep scrunching and adding product as u see fit. Again less is more sometimes. It takes a lot of trial and error.

then I carry on hover diffusing, eventually I flip my head back up and section my hair into two very gently begin scrunching like that. Then once ur hair begins to dry 80% i then diffuse. This is when you cup ur hair into the diffuser bowl, push the hair up to ur head with the diffuser, and turn on the diffuser. While the diffuser is on, hold ur hair there, don’t move it around too much as this can create frizz. Once you’ve held it there for a little bit turn off the diffuser and repeat around ur hair. At this point u may need to scrunch out a bit of a gel cast, which u can do at the end or soften it with the smoothie. Once ur hair begins to dry 90% flip your head back down and diffuse, then to the side this ensures ur drying all of ur hair.

no idea if that was helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest