The Student Room Group

IB maths question

(4^x)+(2^[x+2]) = 3

I tried making it log4^x + log2^(x+2) = log3 etc etc etc but I’m so confused - it’s just giving the wrong answer. Is this the right step? It is on a logarithms paper... please help
Edit : it’s 4^x + 2^(x+2) = 3 sorry typo!
Reply 2
Original post by OliverClarke
Edit : it’s 4^x + 2^(x+2) = 3 sorry typo!

The question is a disguised quadratic. If you make a substitution, you can solve the quadratic then use logs to find the answer.

Spoiler

If still stuck view spoiler, then if that doesn't help just say.
Original post by tande33
The question is a disguised quadratic. If you make a substitution, you can solve the quadratic then use logs to find the answer.

Spoiler

If still stuck view spoiler, then if that doesn't help just say.

Thank you! That’s brilliant !

Just as a side question - would it be possible to make it into log4^x etc and solve from there? I don’t see why it wouldn’t be but I keep getting the wrong answer
Reply 4
Thank you! That’s brilliant !

Just as a side question - would it be possible to make it into log4^x etc and solve from there? I don’t see why it wouldn’t be but I keep getting the wrong answer

no you can't (unfortunately!) as in the first step, you have to take the log of (4^x + 2^x+2) and you can't rearrange this to help you! Does that make sense? Think of it if you have x+y=1 , it doesn't mean that x^2+y^2=1 !
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by tande33
no you can't (unfortunately!) as in the first step, you have to take the log of (4^x + 2^x+2) and you can't rearrange this to help you! Does that make sense? Think of it if you have x+y=1 , it doesn't mean that x^2+y^2=1 !

Got you! So you can only take the log when there is no addition?
Reply 6
Got you! So you can only take the log when there is no addition?

There is nothing to stop you from taking the log of say x+3, but it won't help much as you won't be able to simplify it. So as a general rule isolate the unknown before taking logs.

Quick Reply

Latest