The Student Room Group

English language Alevel

Hi I feel like I might not get into biology Alevel due to what’s happening with the education system rn, and if I end up not getting into biology Alevel, English language would be suitable for me. Has anyone chosen English Lang as an Alevel and can you please tell me a little about it? Please and thank you!
Moving to the English exams forum where you may get a response.
Original post by anamsaid
Hi I feel like I might not get into biology Alevel due to what’s happening with the education system rn, and if I end up not getting into biology Alevel, English language would be suitable for me. Has anyone chosen English Lang as an Alevel and can you please tell me a little about it? Please and thank you!

@barror1 do you have any information for the OP?
english language is easy

Hey! I finished my English Language A-level in 2018 with an A grade. Is there anything specific you would like to know or do you want some more general information? :smile:
Original post by Lemur14
@barror1 do you have any information for the OP?

On it!
Reply 5
Original post by barror1
On it!

Just some general information please if you don’t mind, and can I ask what grade you got at GCSEs,
thank you!
Just some general information please if you don’t mind, and can I ask what grade you got at GCSEs,
thank you!

I got a B at GCSE, an A at A-level and I currently do a degree in Literature and Linguistics at York :smile:
Between English Language and Literature A-level, language definitely has the bigger jump. It is much more focused on representations of language, grammar and sociolinguistic theory compared to the GCSE. This may make it sound really boring but honestly, that course is the reason that I study linguistics today. I would recommend looking at what your individual exam board offers but you usually get to cover some pretty cool topics such as child language acquisition and global Englishes (how they were founded, developed, etc.).
If you have any other questions let me know! I am more than happy to answer :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by barror1
I got a B at GCSE, an A at A-level and I currently do a degree in Literature and Linguistics at York :smile:
Between English Language and Literature A-level, language definitely has the bigger jump. It is much more focused on representations of language, grammar and sociolinguistic theory compared to the GCSE. This may make it sound really boring but honestly, that course is the reason that I study linguistics today. I would recommend looking at what your individual exam board offers but you usually get to cover some pretty cool topics such as child language acquisition and global Englishes (how they were founded, developed, etc.).
If you have any other questions let me know! I am more than happy to answer :biggrin:

Omg thank you so much honestly!!!!!
Original post by barror1

hi, im choosing between Language and literature alavel and im wondering if one is preferred by unis?
Reply 9
Original post by UnderPressure16
hi, im choosing between Language and literature alavel and im wondering if one is preferred by unis?

english language is preferred at universities
Reply 10

english language is preferred at universities

I don't think either one is, besides the only course that might actually require either of those subjects is English literature

It really depends what you are applying for! English is in a really weird position because while literature is counted as a 'facilitating subject', English language is not. Personally I would recommend that you take both because they are really fun in their own way but if you want an A-level which is more versatile when applying for unis I would definitely go for literature :yes:
Though do check with uni courses you may be interested in before making a decision too!
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending