The Student Room Group

How important are A Levels after uni?

I received my results today after getting A* A C last year and resitting maths as I needed a B for my university to do economics. As an external candidate my school just gave me the exact same grade (C) after a years work even though I was only 3 marks from a B last year. Fortunately my university still accepted me however I’m wondering if this C in maths will hinder my employment chances after uni or not, especially in the field in economics.

Any info would be much appreciated
Your degree grade and work experience is the most important thing and thats something you can work on now from now so goodluck
Original post by alexmcnicol
I received my results today after getting A* A C last year and resitting maths as I needed a B for my university to do economics. As an external candidate my school just gave me the exact same grade (C) after a years work even though I was only 3 marks from a B last year. Fortunately my university still accepted me however I’m wondering if this C in maths will hinder my employment chances after uni or not, especially in the field in economics.

Any info would be much appreciated

Employers might ask for them when you apply for jobs/grad schemes, and they may be taken into account when shortlisting for interviews. Some will have minimum grade requirements as well.

The C shouldn't impact you too much - just try to do as many internships as you can and get experience.
Generally no, although a small number of grad schemes (or for law, training contracts) specify certain A-level grades.

Quick Reply

Latest