The Student Room Group

Too scared to go in for a-level results day

Hey, I firmed offers from UCL and Kings as a backup. I'm so embarrassed to back to school and face my teachers because I know I probably flunked my results. Went from predicted A*AB in my Year 12 Mocks to DDD in Yr 13 and worst of all I revised the night before my exams and did an all nighter, I hate myself for it. I'm scared to go in so I don't know what do or if I should go through clearing and how. I'm only allowed to attend unis in London and I refuse to go to anywhere that isnt RG uni because university is too expensive especially for my course which isn't that desired (English Lit) so this makes clearing even harder. I'm pretty sure I got like CDD so my unis won't even reconsider me so I'm too ashamed to ring them up. Since this is still hypothetical until tomorrow, what should I do if I get CDD? I want to retake my A-Levels at college and do my A-Levels next year and reapply... or should I go through clearing? Any advice? I don't wanna face my teachers so I need your help.
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by euwni
Hey, I firmed offers from UCL and Kings as a backup. I'm so embarrassed to back to school and face my teachers because I know I probably flunked my results. Went from predicted A*AB in my Year 12 Mocks to DDD in Yr 13 and worst of all I revised the night before my exams and did an all nighter, I hate myself for it. I'm scared to go in so I don't know what do or if I should go through clearing and how. I'm only allowed to attend unis in London and I refuse to go to anywhere that isnt RG uni because university is too expensive especially for my course which isn't that desired (English Lit) so this makes clearing even harder. I'm pretty sure I got like CDD so my unis won't even reconsider me so I'm too ashamed to ring them up. Since this is still hypothetical until tomorrow, what should I do if I get CDD? I want to retake my A-Levels at college and do my A-Levels next year and reapply... or should I go through clearing? Any advice? I don't wanna face my teachers so I need your help.

If it makes you feel better, I’m kind of in the same position too 😭
Reply 2
Original post by Awetodon
If it makes you feel better, I’m kind of in the same position too 😭

Thanks it does 😭 do you have a plan?
Reply 3
Original post by euwni
Thanks it does 😭 do you have a plan?

For picking up results I’m going to go and leave straight away LOL. But I guess you could email someone at your
school if you really don’t want to come or there should be someone who could send you them through post. And for the grades thing, yh if I miss the grades (which is likely bc I left revision too late) I’ll probably just take a gap year and beg my school or local schools around me to retake 🥲 and idk about clearing probably not though because I wouldn’t really want to pay for a uni I didn’t want to attend in the first place
Reply 4
Original post by Awetodon
For picking up results I’m going to go and leave straight away LOL. But I guess you could email someone at your
school if you really don’t want to come or there should be someone who could send you them through post. And for the grades thing, yh if I miss the grades (which is likely bc I left revision too late) I’ll probably just take a gap year and beg my school or local schools around me to retake 🥲 and idk about clearing probably not though because I wouldn’t really want to pay for a uni I didn’t want to attend in the first place

Same I already applied for colleges to redo a-levels.. I'm gonna do an extra one too so I get improve my reapplication... goodluck 😭😭
Reply 5
Original post by euwni
Same I already applied for colleges to redo a-levels.. I'm gonna do an extra one too so I get improve my reapplication... goodluck 😭😭

Good Luck to you too!! For tomorrow and whatever you decide to do!
Original post by euwni

Remember you only have to go in and collect your results, you don't have to open them in front of everyone. The sooner you know your results the sooner you can think about your options. You still have options regardless so try and not panic. Once you have your results, give your desired uni a call and go from there, knowledge is power and once you have all your results, you can then start to make a plan. We appreciate its a scary time and hope everything goes well today! :smile:
Well you just need to go to school and get your results, no matter how scary. There’s no point making detailed plans before you know what your grades are.
Original post by euwni

No point wasting energy on regret or embarrassment.

Best of luck- but whatever happens you are where you are… if things do go badly the best thing you can do is be proactive about your next opportunities. Do you want to pursue clearing/resit. Be objective and try and focus what will put you where you want to be not where teachers or students who (you may never see again) will think. And also most people are empathetic to these situations (and those which aren’t, aren’t worth worrying about).
Original post by euwni

Hello,

Good luck and don’t be scared! Go in, collect your results and leave if you have to but it’s still important for you to claim your results!

Face your fear and don’t let it hold you back :smile:

Dom
Student Ambassador
Original post by euwni

As others have said, you don't have to open anything in front of anyone you don't want to!!

Regardless of your grades, be proud of how you did, it isn't easy getting through A-levels!

We, as well as all of TSR, are here if you need anything today as well! :smile:
Good morning @euwni! If you haven't already, please do go along to your school and collect your results. You cannot effectively plan the next stage without them. Once you have them in hand, if you haven't done as well as you hoped please do share that with us and we can help you figure out where you go from here. It sounds like it could be a bit more complicated than just "what do I do next year" and I'd love to have a conversation with you about your ambitions and motivation.

No matter what happens today there is a path to get you where you want to be, whether this happens this year or next year. Best of luck and please let us know how you got on. :smile:
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by euwni

As others have said, and to echo the support here on TSR, try not to focus on anyone else's opinion, your wellbeing comes first, and regardless you made it through A-Levels! Definitely #BeResultsProud as much as you can because A-Levels are not the be-all and end-all.

I started my A-Levels again from scratch and the second time around still didn't manage as well as I'd hoped (I got CDE I think) BUT now, 5 years on, I hold a Master's degree and I loved every second of my University journey! Anything is possible. You have to put yourself first, believe that you can do it, even if the journey isn't as straightforward as you'd first hoped!

Best wishes to everyone getting results today!:jive:

- Rose:rose:, De Montfort University Rep.
Original post by euwni

Good morning @euwni :smile:

I hope you're feeling a little less nervous this morning, please do let us know how you got on! We're all wishing you the very best of luck 🤞 #BeResultsProud

Just remember grades do not define your worth, and it's totally natural to be feeling really nervous, but even the most successful people in the world have faced challenges in their academic journeys.

Surround yourself with your friends and family today if you can, lean on them for emotional support and advice. Your well-being is just as important as any academic pursuits.

Good luck!

Becky
Original post by euwni

Hi there,

I'm so sorry to hear that you're feeling so stressed and anxious about your A-level results. I know it's a really tough time, and it's easy to feel like the world is ending. But I want to assure you that it's not. There are still options available to you, and you're not alone in this.

First of all, I want to say that it's totally normal to feel embarrassed about your results. Everyone experiences setbacks, and it's nothing to be ashamed of. What's important is that you learn from this experience and move on. We all make errors, it's human - but they only become mistakes if we don't choose to learn from them.

I know you're only allowed to attend universities in London, but I would encourage you to keep an open mind about clearing. There are some great universities in London that offer English Literature courses, and you might be surprised at what you can find. UCAS will be your best friend in this.

Here are a few things you can do if you don't get the grades you need:

Use Clearing. Clearing is a system that allows you to apply for university courses that still have vacancies after the UCAS application deadline. There are a lot of great courses available through Clearing, and you might be able to find something that's a good fit for you.
Retake your A-levels. If you're not happy with your results, you can always retake your A-levels next year. This is a great option if you're really passionate about English Literature and want to study it at university.
Take a gap year. A gap year can be a great way to take some time out, figure out what you want to do, and gain some valuable life experience. You could use this time to travel, volunteer, or work.

No matter what you decide to do, please don't be afraid to reach out for help. Talk to your teachers, your parents, or a careers advisor. There are people who can and want to support you through this.

I know it's hard to see right now, but things will get better. You're not alone in this, and you will figure this out.

I hope this helps.

Best,

David :smile:
University of Kent

P.S I also wanted to add that it's important to follow your dreams. If you truly love English Literature, then study it and don't worry about RG! RG is a bit overrated anyways. Don't worry about what you're going to do with it after you graduate. Many people who study one subject don't end up working in that field. For example, not all economics students become economists, and not all engineering students become engineers. The important thing is to study something that you're passionate about and that will help you develop your critical thinking skills. English Literature is a very valuable subject, and it will give you the skills you need to succeed in whatever you do.
Original post by russellgyasi
Hey man me too, if you guys are planning on taking gap years and resitting how about we make a group chat so we don’t feel as lonely throughout the process, i think it would be better if we were surrounded by people facing a similar situation as us 👍🏾

Love this :suith:
Original post by euwni
Yes! How should I contact you?

Hi, it's against TSR rules to share off-site group chats
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by KA_P
Hi, it's against TSR rules to share off-site group chats

how should we contact each other then?
Original post by russellgyasi
how should we contact each other then?

On here if possible, click start new discussion to create your own thread and you can use @ to bring users you know to your thread :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest