The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Official Oxford 2021 Postgraduate Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hello everyone!

I’m applying for mphil development studies at Oxford next year. I’ve a doubt on what to submit and what should I write for writing samples. I’m more interested in the poverty and income inequality. So I thought of writing on “how financial inclusion help in reducing poverty and income inequality in India?” Is it a vague theme? Should I choose a more unique/original theme? Or can I go ahead with this? And for second writing sample, I thought of polishing my research paper I wrote last semester titled “how has the fiscal system during the British rule transitioned now in India (with a focus on historical trends, fiscal discipline frameworks, fiscal responses in the colonial era and subsequent return to a fiscal consolidation path).

Please share your feedback )
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Has a thread been created for applicants for this year (2022)?
Original post by Wildean99

I couldn't find a thread for this year so I've started one myself for anyone reapplying this year or willing to share their wisdom from their experiences of last year - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7099267
Original post by QHF
Unless things have changed since my day, you probably won’t have full library access until week -1 or week 0. I don’t know how directed the reading list is, but if it doesn’t contain much/any annotation, it might be the case that many of the more expensive textbooks are included with the idea that you’ll access them during the course. But if the reading list explicitly says ‘you must read X, Y, and Z’, and X–Z are costly and hard to get hold of, I imagine you could email and gently ask the course conveners for advice. If they don’t know that they’re setting logistically challenging pre-reading lists, they might want to know.

Once you have your Oxford email etc and ID, you should be able to download articles . Try looking on Google Scholar, some may just be available.
Anyone got an offer from Oxford for MSt in Modern Languages with a strong 2.1 grade?
Reply 5385
Original post by applicantaggapa
Mphil modern south asian studies, acceptance is here! My friend and I both got in.

I've seen your post about USN elsewhere. I got this usn number today together with my applicant ID shown on the application portal, while the status is still 'application submitted'. Is it a good sign or am I overthinking it? Thanks.
Reply 5386
Original post by Maddie2802
Has anyone applied to study precision cancer medicine? The distance learning masters?

Hey - I've applied for the 2022 entry. Did you get in last year?
Original post by perfectionista
Hey,
I was wondering if anyone has had any interview invites for MSc by Research in Oncology ?

I’m honestly so anxious since it’s been a while

Have you heard anything yet? I applied by the December deadline and nothing yet.
Original post by nemo0609
Hey, I'm actually still waiting too! Very very scared! :frown:

Have you heard anything yet?
Original post by Wildean99

Yeah, there is a new one created by TSR. @Wildean99
Original post by teenatin
Hello everyone!

I’m applying for mphil development studies at Oxford next year. I’ve a doubt on what to submit and what should I write for writing samples. I’m more interested in the poverty and income inequality. So I thought of writing on “how financial inclusion help in reducing poverty and income inequality in India?” Is it a vague theme? Should I choose a more unique/original theme? Or can I go ahead with this? And for second writing sample, I thought of polishing my research paper I wrote last semester titled “how has the fiscal system during the British rule transitioned now in India (with a focus on historical trends, fiscal discipline frameworks, fiscal responses in the colonial era and subsequent return to a fiscal consolidation path).

Please share your feedback )

Hi! I'm from India too. Did you search for Dev. Studies specific channels in TSR?
Original post by Guganesan
Yeah, there is a new one created by TSR. @Wildean99

Hi thank you - I managed to come across it since writing that post.
Just wondering whether anyone here was accepted onto (or knows anyone accepted onto) a humanities DPhil on a part-time basis? Thanks.
Original post by argiheyk123
Me too :-) Look forward to being classmates!

Hi, ive applied to the Dphil Sociology program this round 2022-2023! I was wondering when you heard back, and how long it took for allocation of funding? My account is too new to PM unfortunately
Original post by Oxsociology
@Birke
Hi all,
I got Dphil sociology offer. Funding and college will follow later. Goodluck to all

Hiya, i’m waiting for my decision for the 2022 round for dphil sociology. Could i PM you?
I just emailed the department and they told me modern british history wouldn't be released until next week.
Original post by Carnage1
Just waitlisted for the PhD in Law. My button is still there.

Did you get it finally? I'm currently waitlisted and I'm wondering if I have chance to get in.
Original post by username5203706
Hi folks, I am currently finishing off a DPhil in the Humanities at Oxford with a few contacts in graduate admissions across the various faculties of the Humanities Division.

I am going to write a very long post (an unofficial guide) in the coming days explaining the funding and scholarship process in the Humanities Division. I am going to try and cover as many aspects as I can as I know that it is a very opaque, convoluted and confusing process - in part this will be about expectation management concerning the extent of competition and the dwindling number of scholarships available for the Humanities at Oxford.

In the meantime, whilst I am writing the guide, would be great if you want to post any questions or things you would specifically like me to cover or that you are particular unsure about.

What happened to the guide :frown:
Hello,

I received a rejection for a DPhil in March, but yesterday I received emails from two Colleges saying I'd been shortlisted for a DPhil Scholarship interview.

Has anyone got any advice as to what is going on here? They've got their wires crossed?

Also, in light of this, if I was at the calibre that I could be shortlisted for scholarships, then how can I get feedback as to why I was rejected from the academic Dept?

Thank you for your help!
Original post by AWholeNew World
Hello,

I received a rejection for a DPhil in March, but yesterday I received emails from two Colleges saying I'd been shortlisted for a DPhil Scholarship interview.

Has anyone got any advice as to what is going on here? They've got their wires crossed?

Also, in light of this, if I was at the calibre that I could be shortlisted for scholarships, then how can I get feedback as to why I was rejected from the academic Dept?

Thank you for your help!

I don't have any experience of this myself but I'd say, if you haven't already, it's definitely worth getting in touch with the department to find out what's going on. It might also be useful to respond to the colleges, but definitely the department.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending