The Student Room Group

A-Level results 2020

Right so I can't be the only one who thinks leaving the teachers to pick the centre assessed grades is like the teachers picking their faviourate students.

I'm just saying this as I was predicted a B in maths. In my mocks I got a D (which I was okay with as I had loads of time to work on) and my centre assessed grade was a C. In my actual results I got a D.

I just found out 2 of the boys in my class who were predicted Cs. Scored Ds in their mocks but had a lower score than me. They both had a centre assessed grade of A and they ended up getting a B in their actual A-Level.

I'm honestly disheartened as I am having to repeat year 13 to redo all my A-levels because I actually want to get good scores to get into a good course at Uni. But I also can't help but to see a bit of unjust behaviour to students who aren't very close to teachers.

Don't even get me started on the fact the goverment down graded us and gave higher grades to students at private schools. 😤
This isn’t evidence of favouritism it just demonstrates that your teachers had more evidence available of more improvement since mocks for the candidates who were actively engaging with their teachers and studies.

It’s a useful life lesson on the important of cultivating positive relationships with people in authority over you if you want them to give you additional help and support.
Original post by PQ
This isn’t evidence of favouritism it just demonstrates that your teachers had more evidence available of more improvement since mocks for the candidates who were actively engaging with their teachers and studies.

It’s a useful life lesson on the important of cultivating positive relationships with people in authority over you if you want them to give you additional help and support.

I understand where you come from, and I was showing improvement since I did the mocks. I actively engaged in extra revision sessions, did extra work the teachers were always willing to help me with any extra work I was doing outside of class. The boys grades tended to be lower than mine in any additional assements we had through out the year. I had a good professional relationship with the teachers. I just never got into their personal life and they never got into my personal. From what I saw at school the students who were good friends with teachers in terms of them engaging with eachothers personal lives. They would end up scoring 2 grades higher.
Original post by Scoobydoobiedoo
I understand where you come from, and I was showing improvement since I did the mocks. I actively engaged in extra revision sessions, did extra work the teachers were always willing to help me with any extra work I was doing outside of class. The boys grades tended to be lower than mine in any additional assements we had through out the year. I had a good professional relationship with the teachers. I just never got into their personal life and they never got into my personal. From what I saw at school the students who were good friends with teachers in terms of them engaging with eachothers personal lives. They would end up scoring 2 grades higher.

This is so true.Some students in my year got higher than me even though I got A grades in the mocks and class tests.Just because the teachers loved them because they were always talking about non school stuff.CAG are wrong as well.Let us appeal on our own.The government should understand this.Also they should let students slightly below the next grade appeal as well because mocks were done in january and november in my school which was ages ago.
Original post by Winniebear2001
This is so true.Some students in my year got higher than me even though I got A grades in the mocks and class tests.Just because the teachers loved them because they were always talking about non school stuff.CAG are wrong as well.Let us appeal on our own.The government should understand this.Also they should let students slightly below the next grade appeal as well because mocks were done in january and november in my school which was ages ago.

Exactly we did our mocks really early we never had any time to revise because we were still learning content up to the day before mocks started. I was told by school mocks are worst case scenario being thrown into A-levels only knowing half the content. From January onwards we were still learning content but also revising extremely hard. I was told by teachers that most students jump 2 or 3 grades higher if we revise every day for 6 hours. I was devasted when exams were cancelled as mocks aren't the best example of what we students are able of. I am also fuming to find out students who were buddy buddies with teachers, always talking about their personal life got higher grades. I agree that students should appeal themselves I think we ourselves, because teachers only care about their faviourate students or students who are going off to Cambridge or Oxford. (Ngl at my school a lot of people cheated on their mocks and got higher grades in their mocks then they have all through out the year.)

Quick Reply

Latest