The Student Room Group

tsr suck sometimes

I just hate people who boast about how many A* they have and then have the audacity to ask if their Oxbridge worthy when it's so obvious they have a good chance. Like I come on here for actual advice not to see smug people being smug
Reply 1
Yes I’m sorry, I’ll keep my 50A*’s to myself :frown:

On a real note, don’t believe everyone, lots of people lie about their grades on here !
Their smugness bothering you isn't up to them.

You probably just feel a little jealous which is normal.
Reply 3
Original post by macy_m
Yes I’m sorry, I’ll keep my 50A*’s to myself :frown:

On a real note, don’t believe everyone, lots of people lie about their grades on here !

lmao yeah good point, still annoying tho. Like why would you lie about your grades? Are they that insecure lmao
Reply 4
Original post by JustOneMoreThing
Their smugness bothering you isn't up to them.

You probably just feel a little jealous which is normal.

Maybe I phrased that wrong. I don't mind if you have actual questions but coming on here saying you have "I have 11A*, will I get in" is an obvious attempt to show off your greats no? Clearly you know you have a chance. And nah whilst I don't have all A* I did pretty well for myself I think
Is nobody going to question the fact this thread is in relationships?
Reply 6
true
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous
lmao yeah good point, still annoying tho. Like why would you lie about your grades? Are they that insecure lmao

I’m not sure tbh, wanting to impress?
There’s lots of people on here with average results, you just don’t see them because not everyone talks about their grades :dontknow:
Well some of them are made by trolls. They are also popular threads, so will get lots of replies and attention. There's a lot of people on TSR who haven't got any A*s, I haven't, I have 5 As, a few Bs and a few Cs at GCSE, and I'm really happy with that. You should just focus on you
Maybe I phrased that wrong. I don't mind if you have actual questions but coming on here saying you have "I have 11A*, will I get in" is an obvious attempt to show off your greats no? Clearly you know you have a chance. And nah whilst I don't have all A* I did pretty well for myself I think

Fair enough, it could be numerous things, people with those high grades have done all they can to get in so naturally, they feel restless with the concept of not being able to do anything more.

And then there are the people who brag, which I think is rare, most seem to be trolls.
People are entitled to be disappointed with their grades whether that is an A or an E. Yes those threads are perhaps not in the best taste to read when you received a lower grade but success is relative.
I was disappointed in my A-levels when i received an A rather than an A* in product design, looking back on it it was silly but the emotions were valid at the time as i felt i had not performed to the standard i could of (i had a clash that day and had to sit product design directly after doing a huge history exam).
The point is people are just as valid to be disappointed with a grade someone else would consider good, everyone has different goals for themselves. If someone has worked incredibly hard to get a C they should be allowed to feel proud just as if someone has worked really hard and felt their A wasnt a true reflection of their effort.
Yes asking if 10 '9' grades at GCSE are good enough for oxbridge is a bit silly and the question could be answered easily with research, but these are often young people and in a lot of schools there is the mentality pushed on students that anything less than a certain grade is a failure. Yes some of these threads are trolls but some are genuinely concerned perhaps slightly naive students.
TSR is also not a representative sample of the population, naturally people who care about their studies are going to be drawn to a website where you can receive study support.
To be completely realistic it is not down to the poster of a thread how that thread makes you feel, you do not have to read such threads and if people have a query they should be allowed to voice it no matter what grade they obtained. Anyone is welcome to ask for advice on TSR.
I just hate people who boast about how many A* they have and then have the audacity to ask if their Oxbridge worthy when it's so obvious they have a good chance. Like I come on here for actual advice not to see smug people being smug

Maybe ignore them, some of them lie, others are insecure, others have the grades.
Nobody requires you to read all of TSR.
Most users on here are school/uni students that have no real life experience and are deluded by the perceived actual usefulness of grades. Nobody is going to employ you just because you have 3 A*s in A Levels, or whatever. I would also speculate that many of the so called high-achievers that you see on here don’t have particularly impressive social skills, and therefore won’t be able to compete with the naturally articulate individuals that they will have to sit with in group interviews a few years down the line, when they are applying for graduate schemes.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest