The Student Room Group

The Current Year 10 Chat Thread (2020-2021)

:tsr:

:party:

Babies born from 2005 to 2006!! Woohooo :ciao:Hey, and welcome to the current year 10 thread! For some, this is when you start your GCSEs and for others, it's your second year! You can use this thread to share what you're feeling, thoughts on starting year 10, how the pandemic may affect your studies, your GCSEs and anything else :u: Feel free to share any useful study material/threads, vent, ask questions, complain, moan or even share success! We're all in this together! So hopefully, we'll all make friends (no enemies) and by the end of it, be ready to take on year 11!

Let's get to know each other :biggrin:

:fleurdelis:

Introduce yourself

What are your hobbies/ interests?

What subjects are you studying? (Don't forget the Exam Board!)

What is/are your favourite and least favourite subject(s)?

What are your predicted grades?

What grades do you want?

What's your favourite way to revise?

What's your dream future occupation?

What are your thoughts about year 9 and leaving it?

How are you feeling about starting year 10?

WE’RE FINISHING SCHOOL IN JUNE 2022!!
GOOD LUCK YEAR 10 AND HAVE FUN BUT DON'T FORGET TO CRACK DOWN
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Quoting in all the people who posted on the year 9 thread last year. (re)-introduce yourselves and get to know each other before the new school year starts :woo:

Spoiler

Hi, I'm not a year 10 and I only made a single post in the year 9 thread, but here comes my spontaneous Year 10 advice free of charge:

Year 10 involves a lot of hormones. You're growing a lot this year. Maybe Lewis from your Maths class fancies you. Maybe you're not friends with Louise any more because she blanked you on Snapchat. Who knows? :iiam:

However, at some point you are going to need to remember and recall the things you have learnt this year. That time will come in the summer of 2022 in an exam hall on a warm afternoon, but from now: things start to count. :afraid:

How can you best make use of your time?
- Attendance. Not feeling too well? Have 2 paracetamol and come into school anyway. Avoid the curry at lunch and you'll be fine. You'll be sorry if your exercise books is missing bits of information when you come to reading them back for revision next year.

- Keep everything. Don't throw away any worksheets, booklets, textbook photocopies, exercise books. Keep it all and keep it tidy. This year is about getting some knowledge - including in physical form.

- Have fun. Despite all the scary words in this post this is still not the big crunch time yet. Stay relaxed, get into yoga, go swimming, spent time with your friends (always wear protection).

- Keep calm. Now is not the time to have a massive row with a teacher for confiscating your phone or your earrings (boys). Now is the time to show your maturity, breathe a little and rise above the situation. You're better than that.

Give it some beans everyone. :happy2:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
I feel kinda weird answering questions I said but...Hi! I enjoy literally everything XD my hobbies include art, reading, watching anime and procrastinating...
I’m doing:
- AQA Mathematics (Higher)
- AQA Triple Science (Higher)
- AQA English Language
- AQA English Literature
- AQA Geography
- OCR Computer Science
- Edexcel French
- Edexcel BTEC Creative Media Production
(Idk if there are higher papers for anything else other than maths and sciences?? Our school doesn’t really tell, do they even exist??? Please tell)

My favourites are Computer Science and maths and least favourite probably French, but that’s because our old teacher left and there was a substitute and he was absolutely horrible.

Predicted grades: they’re 8s and my BTEC was Dist*, ideally I’ll get all 9s(and equivalent)! And I’ll try my hardest to achieve it! (We did our choices in year8 and started learning content in yr9 btw, I didn’t even realise we were learning proper gcse stuff so I did nothing on it >.<)

I don’t have a favourite way to revise, I haven’t revised that many techniques. Does anyone have any ways you can find your best way to??

I have like nO idea exactly for what I want to be when I’m older, I like waaay too many areas; probably something in computer science? But I can’t find something in that sector I love.... I try to make my options kind of wide and what I really like but either I can’t do them all or something else, it always ends up with having to be super focused on one area >.<

I’m feeling excited but also scared for year10, I know loads of peoples favourite year was year10 and it’s so weird leaving year9, is it only me but I feel like I’m still 11 or something, hOw is it a year away from GCSEs and just a few from A levels???

How was everyone’s school experience during quarantine? Some of my subjects were good but a few were a trainwreck >.>

Omg I’m so sorry for the long winded post, I didn’t even realise lmaoo
GOOOODLUCK EVERYONE
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi, I’m Sakura! I just got myself a professional camera so I’m hoping that’ll be a long term thing, a book worm and love anime, manga and art. I actually don’t know what’s going on with my exam boards atm, but I’m taking:

Maths
Further Maths
English Lang
English Lit
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Latin
Greek
German
History
Geography
(all IGCSE where applicable)

I love maths best and am self learning the A-Level syllabus atm over quarantine, but am nervous about German, because my anxiety gets the best of me in orals, but I perform strongly in all of them. All my teachers predicted me 9 when it came down to choosing subjects, so hopefully I can live up to that! I write detailed (and also aesthetic which they probably shouldn’t be) notes to memorise and recap, then do past papers. I’d like to be a lawyer or something in Economics as I gave up on medicine after my eye surgery left me squeamish regarding eyes or blood... Also nervous about Year 10, because contrary to the previous poster, we start GCSE content this year and I’ve never learnt Greek before! I’m doing my best to finish the science syllabuses before term starts, but I’ll probably only get halfway (the work of a professional procrastinator)... I can’t wait to drop the subjects I hate and have much less PE, that was never fun! School during quarantine? Sucked. Couldn’t focus and got sleepy so much, but a bit concerned about safety in school with Covid around.

Good luck to everyone and looking forward to meeting you all!
Ah the smell of a new thread :tongue: :woo: Good luck and have fun in year 10 everyone! :h:
Reply 6
Original post by sakura_23
Hi, I’m Sakura! I just got myself a professional camera so I’m hoping that’ll be a long term thing, a book worm and love anime, manga and art. I actually don’t know what’s going on with my exam boards atm, but I’m taking:

Maths
Further Maths
English Lang
English Lit
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Latin
Greek
German
History
Geography
(all IGCSE where applicable)

I love maths best and am self learning the A-Level syllabus atm over quarantine, but am nervous about German, because my anxiety gets the best of me in orals, but I perform strongly in all of them. All my teachers predicted me 9 when it came down to choosing subjects, so hopefully I can live up to that! I write detailed (and also aesthetic which they probably shouldn’t be) notes to memorise and recap, then do past papers. I’d like to be a lawyer or something in Economics as I gave up on medicine after my eye surgery left me squeamish regarding eyes or blood... Also nervous about Year 10, because contrary to the previous poster, we start GCSE content this year and I’ve never learnt Greek before! I’m doing my best to finish the science syllabuses before term starts, but I’ll probably only get halfway (the work of a professional procrastinator)... I can’t wait to drop the subjects I hate and have much less PE, that was never fun! School during quarantine? Sucked. Couldn’t focus and got sleepy so much, but a bit concerned about safety in school with Covid around.

Good luck to everyone and looking forward to meeting you all!

Hii, omg you’re doing 3 languages!! I can barely manage one :00

I tried learning the content ahead of time but sharpening my do-nothing skills took over

I want to go to school because I learn better there but I also don’t want anything to happen with COVID, people are saying we’re probably not going to stay in after Easter???

Sorry I’m talking so much on these, I get kinda jittery when I’m nervous idk I feel like I’m going to screw up my GCSEs somehow

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ApplePi55
Hii, omg you’re doing 3 languages!! I can barely manage one :00

I tried learning the content ahead of time but sharpening my do-nothing skills took over

I want to go to school because I learn better there but I also don’t want anything to happen with COVID, people are saying we’re probably not going to stay in after Easter???

Sorry I’m talking so much on these, I get kinda jittery when I’m nervous idk I feel like I’m going to screw up my GCSEs somehow

Spoiler

No problem, this is a place to chat! Latin and Greek to me aren’t ‘languages’ in the sense that it’s basically translation and analysis only, so more like English? Dropped Spanish tho, couldn’t make the accent work! I did take Chinese GCSE a couple years back (self taught) which was very difficult, because even though it’s my second language, none of my parents were educated so any Chinese I learnt from them was slang and not grammatically correct, but I got the qualification! Same here, I’ve basically only done maybe 3 topics per subject which is almost nothing and so I still think I’m going to do badly, but I’ll do my best.

Really? In my opinion it’s either we get taken out by Christmas because of wave 2 or it hits again in the spring, but option 1’s probably closer to home... worried about not covering all the content then.

Feel free to PM me if you wanna chat, I have messed up sleep hours so anytime works, would be nice to make a friend!
Hey guys!I'm going to year 10 in two weeks theres alot of things I wanted to know abt going into year 10
Reply 9
Original post by sakura_23
No problem, this is a place to chat! Latin and Greek to me aren’t ‘languages’ in the sense that it’s basically translation and analysis only, so more like English? Dropped Spanish tho, couldn’t make the accent work! I did take Chinese GCSE a couple years back (self taught) which was very difficult, because even though it’s my second language, none of my parents were educated so any Chinese I learnt from them was slang and not grammatically correct, but I got the qualification! Same here, I’ve basically only done maybe 3 topics per subject which is almost nothing and so I still think I’m going to do badly, but I’ll do my best.

Really? In my opinion it’s either we get taken out by Christmas because of wave 2 or it hits again in the spring, but option 1’s probably closer to home... worried about not covering all the content then.

Feel free to PM me if you wanna chat, I have messed up sleep hours so anytime works, would be nice to make a friend!

Thanks, ohhh I guess that makes sense since English sort of came from them? That’s so cool, congrats!

I think most schools are going over what we did during quarantine when we come back? Well ours is...

Yea that is more realistic, maybe we could go back after the second wave?? We’ve already missed so many practicals and physical education, I don’t think 3 months could cover it all and start on the yr10 things...

Sure! :smile: Me too, I should probably start working on my sleep schedule again or else I’ll be too tired to do anything once school starts.
Reply 10
Hey! I'm Binary, and i'm going into year 10. Yay! :cool:

I like being organised :biggrin: , I swim, I am looking forward to 2021-2022 and what it brings. :flute:

I am studying:

EDEXCEL Maths (Higher)
AQA Biology (Higher)
AQA Chemistry (Higher)
AQA Physics (Higher)
WJEC EDUQAS Religious Studies
AQA English Literature
AQA English Language
AQA Engineering
EDEXCEL B Geography
AQA Spanish
OCR Computer Science

(I'm not sure if there is a higher for each subject)

My favourite subject would be Maths and RS, and least favourite is both of the English. :frown:
We haven't received any predicted grades because of the pandemic.
I hope for 9s in every subject :smile: but lowest I would be happy with would be 7.
I like to condense my notes and do practice questions.
I aspire to be an Engineer, but not sure in which aspect.
I will miss year 9, it was fun and chill.
I am quite scared about going into year 10, but hopefully it will be a whizzz and all of us here will get the grades we hope for in year 11.

Spoiler

(edited 3 years ago)
Hi guys!

I'm Sophia :smile:. It feels so weird answering these questions but why not XD.

My hobbies are dance, drama and music.
And I'm going to take
Edexcel Biology
Edexcel Chemistry
Edexcel Physics
AQA Drama
OCR English Language
AQA English Literature
AQA French
Edexcel History
OCR Latin
Edexcel Maths
AQA Level 2 Certificate Further Maths

Favs: Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Drama and History
Least: Physics
I don't have predicted grades yet but I'm hoping for mostly 8/9's ;-;
Mostly I study by making notes and flashcards are great! I'm a visual learner so using a lot of colour and graphs are really helpful
I'm hoping to study Law and become a Barrister :smile:
I'm kinda excited to start Year 10 but still not quite ready to leave Yr 9 because of all the stress to come.

Well that's me! Good luck to everyone going into Year 10!
Hi! I'm Izzy and I'm going into Year 10 in 12 days (eek!)

Hobbies? Procrastinating on tiktok ig haha

Subjects I'm taking:
AQA GCSE English Lit
AQA GCSE English Lang
EDEXCEL IGCSE Maths (Higher)
EDEXCEL IGCSE Biology
EDEXCEL IGCSE Chemistry
EDEXCEL IGCSE Physics
EDEXCEL IGCSE French
AQA GCSE Mandarin
EDEXCEL IGCSE Geography
OCR GCSE Computer Science
AQA LEVEL 2 Further Maths

Favs: Maths, Chemistry and Physics
Least favs: English 😬

No predicted grades yet but hoping for all 9s!

I usually look at textbooks and Bitesize, then summarise by typing up notes, and I like to use Brainscape to make flashcards.

Especially for maths/sciences, I find practice questions really helpful. For languages, Quizlet is amazing!

I'm not exactly sure what I want to study/do, but something STEM-related.

I'm nervous but kinda excited for Year 10. Year 9 has been an amazing year for me in so many different ways and I'll def miss it!

Good luck to everyone going into Year 10 xx
(edited 3 years ago)
HI guys ,my (real)name is Mariam beacause my actual name isnt YNW Melly and I DEFO didn't kill my best friends beacause I am actually a very nice person :colondollar:

I love photogrophy and I want to open an instagram account just for my photography-I'll give y'all the name when its done

I also love art + drama

If I don't like something,I'll say it and thats what got me bananad a million times lmao

I MASTERED eyeliner during the summer holidays and I can now perfect a perfect natural no makeup makeup look with no actual face makeup like guys ,give me credit here,my makeup is getting as good as James damn charles!

I have alot of friends on here and I'm hoping to make more

My school thought they was being quirky so they made us start our GCSE courses in year 9 and choose our subjects in Year 8 (Computer science + psychology ) even though I LOVE art +photography

I also love shopping,like people,I'm a 14 year old girl whaddya expect and I just ordered clothes from ASOS

I also love anime and I regularly,almost religiously (I sound so weird) watch studio Ghibli movies (I love marvel,men in black,rush hour etc)and i am very sad to say they r not on disney+ so i have to buy the dvd's

i love making my room look more aesthetic,and waste my money on peng room decor,or I thrift books

maths is sh it and i prefer english

i read too much and literally any book u ask if i have read i have

i love gardning and listening to asmr and raiinnn like damn rain is peng

I'm taking core subject,double science,maths,english lit and language,r.e,pe(not graded but complsory),psychology,computer science,german (cba too take my own language,arabic) + prolly more things but i forgot

I am a very intellectual person bloody hell i dont even knwo what tf that is,and i listen,to rap,polo g,dababy,roddy ricch,lil tjay,drake(any) NOT KSI THO (hes funny but his music videos are shizz) billie eillish,sia,asmr + alot more things
@queenbeexox there's a year 10 thread for you :h:
Original post by ApplePi55

:tsr:

:party:

Babies born from 2005 to 2006!! Woohooo :ciao:Hey, and welcome to the current year 10 thread! For some, this is when you start your GCSEs and for others, it's your second year! You can use this thread to share what you're feeling, thoughts on starting year 10, how the pandemic may affect your studies, your GCSEs and anything else :u: Feel free to share any useful study material/threads, vent, ask questions, complain, moan or even share success! We're all in this together! So hopefully, we'll all make friends (no enemies) and by the end of it, be ready to take on year 11!

Let's get to know each other :biggrin:

:fleurdelis:

Introduce yourself

What are your hobbies/ interests?

What subjects are you studying? (Don't forget the Exam Board!)

What is/are your favourite and least favourite subject(s)?

What are your predicted grades?

What grades do you want?

What's your favourite way to revise?

What's your dream future occupation?

What are your thoughts about year 9 and leaving it?

How are you feeling about starting year 10?

WE’RE FINISHING SCHOOL IN JUNE 2022!!
GOOD LUCK YEAR 10 AND HAVE FUN BUT DON'T FORGET TO CRACK DOWN

Hey guys so I'm Isha. My hobbies honestly are mixed like I love movies and going out and talking to friends, shopping is a fave ngl and other stuff i guess. I'm studying history, spanish, religious studies and fashion and textiles which honestly i do not want to do all which are AQA. I hope to get good grades but tbh im struggling with revision and its hard personally but still gonna try. Subjects i enjoy the most are spanish and im kinda excited for religious education but only coz we have not done that as a subject and hate would be maths and science as i find them hard. Other stuff is i love reading and weirdly love rain its like therapy but honestly just love ittt. Also i am hella stressed for year 10 and just in general but yeah we move aha how is everyoneeee x
(edited 3 years ago)
hi ~

i’m starting a new skl for like the 5th time this sep, and it also happens to be a top grammar school ToT ~

i like reading,, anime,, medical dramas,, manga,, violin,, skateboarding and generally lacking common sense ~

AQA Biology (Higher) ~ 7
OCR 21st Century Chemistry (Higher) ~ 7
AQA Physics (Higher) ~ 7
AQA Geography ~ 8
Edexcel Mathmatics (Higher) ~ 7
AQA Further Maths ~ A*^
AQA French (Higher) ~ 8
OCR Computer Science ~ 8
AQA English Languge ~ 8
AQA English Literature ~ 8
Eduqas Graphics ~ 8

my predicted grades are useless thought bc i transferred to my school in year 7 and they never received my SATS so i didn’t have my results until the end of year 8 and then i moved again ~

i wanna get all 9’s tho,, and i’ve been getting all 9’s anyhow so ~

my favs are probably science and comp sci,, i have a tingling feeling that i will despise graphics w/ a burning passion lol ~

i have an unhealthy obsession with making my notes look cutesy lol,, and i adore flash cards, mind maps and answering test questions bc i’m a ‘tactile learner’ ~

i wanna be a neuropsychiatrist,, but i wanna do my residency in the US and i’m not sure how to do that yet lol,, backup choice is a biomedical engineer,, if UCAS does me dirty lol ~

i don’t mind leaving year 9,, ik year 10 is the year where it gets exciting lol and i’m excited to be starting a new skl bc i can start again XD ~

also why does everyone on this thread seem like an intellectual, i feel like an imposter ~

good luck everyone ~
(edited 3 years ago)
Hey, I'm Evie, I'm going into Year 10 in 5 days :frown:
My hobbies include reading, although I've been in a major book slump recently :'( ,listening to, and trying to find new music ,and I also love watching old films. The subject I'm studying are:

English Lit

English Lang

Maths (Higher? Further?)

Triple science

RS

Spanish

French

History

Music

I'm not 100% sure what my exam boards are but I think most are AQA, I also don't know what my predicted grades are but I think I'm doing Ok in most subjects... I hope.:closedeyes:
my favourite subject has always been English, but thanks to having a great teacher in year 8 + 9 I also love science. My least favourite subject is probably maths.
I have no real idea what I want to do when I'm older, probably something to do with writing, like journalism or publishing, but I also think going into STEM, specifically psychology or neuroscience, could be really interesting...
I've never been very good at revising in the conventional sense, which I will definitely have to work on, but I actually really like taking tests, I really have no idea why :confused:
I have mixed feelings about starting year 10; on the one hand I'm looking forward to be dropping subjects I never liked (PE and Geography) and learning interesting GCSE content in subjects I enjoy. However, I feel like I have forgotten everything I learnt last year because of the 5/6 month break from in-person learning...we'll see I guess.:dontknow:
Anyway, sorry for the long post, good luck everyone.
Reply 18
Original post by Pushkins_tail
Hey, I'm Evie, I'm going into Year 10 in 5 days :frown:
My hobbies include reading, although I've been in a major book slump recently :'( ,listening to, and trying to find new music ,and I also love watching old films. The subject I'm studying are:

English Lit

English Lang

Maths (Higher? Further?)

Triple science

RS

Spanish

French

History

Music

I'm not 100% sure what my exam boards are but I think most are AQA, I also don't know what my predicted grades are but I think I'm doing Ok in most subjects... I hope.:closedeyes:
my favourite subject has always been English, but thanks to having a great teacher in year 8 + 9 I also love science. My least favourite subject is probably maths.
I have no real idea what I want to do when I'm older, probably something to do with writing, like journalism or publishing, but I also think going into STEM, specifically psychology or neuroscience, could be really interesting...
I've never been very good at revising in the conventional sense, which I will definitely have to work on, but I actually really like taking tests, I really have no idea why :confused:
I have mixed feelings about starting year 10; on the one hand I'm looking forward to be dropping subjects I never liked (PE and Geography) and learning interesting GCSE content in subjects I enjoy. However, I feel like I have forgotten everything I learnt last year because of the 5/6 month break from in-person learning...we'll see I guess.:dontknow:
Anyway, sorry for the long post, good luck everyone.

you aren't going to do PE again? howww? i wish i could. i swear its required by law to do PE until you finish ks4
Original post by b1nary
you aren't going to do PE again? howww? i wish i could. i swear its required by law to do PE until you finish ks4

Yes you're right, it's mandatory to do PE until you're 16

Quick Reply

Latest