The Student Room Group

Oxbridge: Impact of 2020 deferrals on 2021 cohort

I am concerned that because many offerholders are being asked or incentiviced to defer their entry to 2021, the 2021 cohort will be disadvantaged when it comes to intake. This seems unfair since we our learning and contact time at school has been equally impacted by this situation, and we will be held to a higher standard since our actual performance in the A levels exams will determine our candidature for universities.
The award of grades based on teacher predictions, and that all of them are being offered places at their first choice uni, has resulted in the 2020 students benefiting unfairly and potentially at the expense of the 2021 cohort.
What assurance is being provided to the 2021 applicants to Oxbridge as to the number of seats available to them not being any less than prior years, and their resources or learning not being diluted by the 2020 people starting in 2021.
I know it’s hard with all the media sensation around it being really hard for your year for uni applications for deferrals at any uni. First of all, I’d like to reassure you that many in year 13 that are considering reapplying will also be worried about that and this will sway their decision to go this year if they’re happy with their first choice.
In terms of oxfords deferrals, this is nothing new! People apply deferred every year and some offers are made deferred (I know people who had deferred offers so it’s not uncommon). All Oxford colleges are trying their best to admit as many freshers this term as they have the capacity to in order to minimise this next year but there are some limits on accommodation (as freshers are guaranteed accommodation in college) and for the more academic stuff (eg a lab will have a certain capacity). The pressure on accommodation is much worse this year as colleges are having to not use rooms they ordinarily could due to covid and advice on bubble sizes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending