The Student Room Group

how to ask for deferral post-offer

so i've already applied and received an offer for nursing this september, but my family are refusing to let me go. not really wanting to get into details here but its past the point of convincing and would be really risky to try and go anyway.

is it possible/likely to defer to next year without having to reapply? i'm confident i will have been able to gain independance or have a plan to safely go by then and i'm so desperate to go to university.

if it is, how would i word an email to the university to ask for a deferral? and should i give details of my situation or claim it to be a 'personal circumstance'? i worry they wouldn't be likely to offer one if it seemed too minor of a reason without a full explanation.
Hi,

I am sorry to hear about this tricky situation.

Definitely try to contact the relevant people at the university - this might be faculty/school staff, student support, or even (if you know them) the course lead. If you are not sure who to contact, I'm sure any of the above would be able to point you in the right direction.

It is best to be truthful about your situation, and perhaps say you can provide more information if necessary but, initially, 'personal circumstances' would hopefully start the necessary conversation/process.

Remember, if you are unable to defer for whatever reason, you have already applied and received an offer this year! This shows that you have the capability to do it so definitely don't be put off if you need to do it next year too :smile:

Best of luck,
Abbie
University of Southampton, Postgraduate Ambassador
Reply 2
Most definitely.

I had an offer for msci dual registration nursing for a start in September 2021 but I gave birth to twins July 2021 and they allowed me to defer. I then had to defer again for September 2022 as I gave birth to a 2nd set of twins.

I'm now starting this September. I'm definitely not having twins again.
Original post by beepboopbeepp
so i've already applied and received an offer for nursing this september, but my family are refusing to let me go. not really wanting to get into details here but its past the point of convincing and would be really risky to try and go anyway.

is it possible/likely to defer to next year without having to reapply? i'm confident i will have been able to gain independance or have a plan to safely go by then and i'm so desperate to go to university.

if it is, how would i word an email to the university to ask for a deferral? and should i give details of my situation or claim it to be a 'personal circumstance'? i worry they wouldn't be likely to offer one if it seemed too minor of a reason without a full explanation.

Hello @beepboopbeepp

I hope you're well. It would be worth physically calling the university and asking for advice on how to go about this. It could be that they accept a deferral via phonecall or, they may advise you to send an email so they have a paper trial for reference. Get in contact ASAP so you can have clarification!

All the best
Jade :smile:
Cov Uni Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending