The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Stupid Question on Halls

This is going to be stupid for many... but NO where can I see whats provided in the Halls at Wessex lane, Southampton Uni.

One assumes bedding etc needed obviously... - but a simple check list would be helpful for a "returning " student, given I have an hour to get in - dont want to have all stuff I dont need...but not leave at home stuff I do!

Found a check list on a general site... but Nothing at Southampton actually suggests "whats useful"... for instance - number of plug points in a room? I have seen all about the wifi/ethernet

...and kitchens - is it "just enough" for everyone - and should I bring my own favourite pans?!

Like I say - utterly stupid questions but I dont want to look and idiot!
Reply 1
Definitely not a stupid question! Those are pretty valid points. I would personally ring up or email, to get an exact answer - they may even have an image of the room to show you. Don't be afraid to ask, there are plenty of other people in your position and plus you're paying a lot for accommodation, so you definitely have a right to know about these things. With a student room, from past experience, there are generally plenty of plug points situated around your bed and desk. Also I would recommend bringing your own kitchenware, obviously not in excess (one or two pans would generally do) but it definitely helps having your own stuff so you don't have to rely on others.
(edited 3 years ago)
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Exton
Definitely not a stupid question! Those are pretty valid points. I would personally ring up or email, to get an exact answer - they may even have an image of the room to show you. Don't be afraid to ask, there are plenty of other people in your position and plus you're paying a lot for accommodation, so you definitely have a right to know about these things. With a student room, from past experience, there are generally plenty of plug points situated around your bed and desk. Also I would recommend bringing your own kitchenware, obviously not in excess (one or two pans would generally do) but it definitely helps having your own stuff so you don't have to rely on others.

thankyou for that...just amazed me that there was nothing to say "what you DO need to bring" and what you dont.. -
Not sure, you might've already seen this but they have a sort of checklist on their website:
https://www.southampton.ac.uk/studentservices/hotline-what-to-bring.page
which includes bedding, kitchen stuff, etc. I definitely get your point about not knowing specifically about the room tho, there's like one generic picture for each room type and no details.
Reply 4
Original post by ghostlycake
Not sure, you might've already seen this but they have a sort of checklist on their website:
https://www.southampton.ac.uk/studentservices/hotline-what-to-bring.page
which includes bedding, kitchen stuff, etc. I definitely get your point about not knowing specifically about the room tho, there's like one generic picture for each room type and no details.

Thannkyou... couldnt find that for toffee!
SO Interesting
The kitchen has NO pots/pans, cutlery/plates etc???

"In your kitchen, we provide:

Oven and hob
Fridge/freezer
Microwave
Table and chairs
Rubbish bin
Ironing Board
Hoover
Mop and bucket

"
Really... I think I need to call them!
Thankyou
Original post by Anonymous
Thannkyou... couldnt find that for toffee!
SO Interesting
The kitchen has NO pots/pans, cutlery/plates etc???

"In your kitchen, we provide:

Oven and hob
Fridge/freezer
Microwave
Table and chairs
Rubbish bin
Ironing Board
Hoover
Mop and bucket

"
Really... I think I need to call them!
Thankyou

Hall is literally a room and a kitchen with the absolute basics
I am here if you have any specific questions
All that is accurate
You're best emailing halls if you really want clarification but they will likely refer you to that checklist above

good things I suggest you bring to halls:
-ethernet cable
-1 extension lead for plugs
-hairdryer
-hangers
-desk lamp/reading lamp (the more portable the better) don't bring something chunky, might not be good if you have a more modern desk

things I recommend you wait until you get to halls to bring
-kettle
-toaster
-any sort of massive pans or cooking equipment

usually when you arrive everyone brings these and you end up with 4 x of each
plus there is an IKEA/ASDA/Sainsburys in southampton to buy cheap versions of these if needed

quote me if you have further questions :smile:
Cheese
Reply 6
Original post by CheeseIsVeg
Hall is literally a room and a kitchen with the absolute basics
I am here if you have any specific questions
All that is accurate
You're best emailing halls if you really want clarification but they will likely refer you to that checklist above

good things I suggest you bring to halls:
-ethernet cable
-1 extension lead for plugs
-hairdryer
-hangers
-desk lamp/reading lamp (the more portable the better) don't bring something chunky, might not be good if you have a more modern desk

things I recommend you wait until you get to halls to bring
-kettle
-toaster
-any sort of massive pans or cooking equipment

usually when you arrive everyone brings these and you end up with 4 x of each
plus there is an IKEA/ASDA/Sainsburys in southampton to buy cheap versions of these if needed

quote me if you have further questions :smile:
Cheese

:-) thanks for that... helped a lot... - I suppose I should expected nothing. - Its Ok... we'll get the stuff in advance. - Amazed by no kettle! but hey!
Original post by Anonymous
:-) thanks for that... helped a lot... - I suppose I should expected nothing. - Its Ok... we'll get the stuff in advance. - Amazed by no kettle! but hey!

np :smile:
it's only really private accommodation that offers those sorts of things
halls is basic but it's so good for making friends
am here if u do think of any further queries!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending