The Student Room Group

Combine UCAS points from access course and a-levels?

Hiya - probably a super easy answer to this but I’m having a moment. I did an access course this year to which I’ve disappointedly received 96 UCAS points, however my university requires 112 for a competitive course so I’m 16 off and not seeing a lot of hope.

I’m planning to do science a-levels this year to reapply for 2024 - my question is can I do a biology a-level and combine its points with my 96 UCAS points from this year, or is it a case of doing two a-levels to reach the points by themselves?

I have previous AAB in non science a-levels as well as a non science undergraduate and postgraduate degree.

Hope this is clear enough haha. Thanks in advance :smile:
If you already have A levels at AAB, then you have 136 UCAS points from those so why do you need an Access course?
Reply 2
Original post by bamtutor
If you already have A levels at AAB, then you have 136 UCAS points from those so why do you need an Access course?

A lot of universities don't accept qualifications that are x years old and ask for newer qualifications
Original post by Celiamood
A lot of universities don't accept qualifications that are x years old and ask for newer qualifications

I don't believe that. Qualifications dont have an expiry date. Do you have any links to any University websites where it states this?
If you have a masters degree then you won’t be required to meet the standard tariff entry requirements.
Reply 5
Original post by bamtutor
I don't believe that. Qualifications dont have an expiry date. Do you have any links to any University websites where it states this?

If you check the entry requirements for a lot of courses they will say they want qualifications that are no older than x amount of years, and require a refresher course. Random Google: https://www.herts.ac.uk/study/how-to-apply/entry-requirements/apl-faqs-for-applicants . If older than 5 years, qualifications aren't considered for healthcare courses
Original post by Celiamood
If you check the entry requirements for a lot of courses they will say they want qualifications that are no older than x amount of years, and require a refresher course. Random Google: https://www.herts.ac.uk/study/how-to-apply/entry-requirements/apl-faqs-for-applicants . If older than 5 years, qualifications aren't considered for healthcare courses

I agree that for say Health courses, an up to date knowledge is required. However that link refers to APEL (APEL is learning which has been achieved through experiences outside the formal education and training systems, normally associated with a working environment, which has been assessed and recognised for the award of credit by the University. It is different from formal learning as it is often unstructured and can be more personal and individualised). Qualifications, such as A levels dont have an expiry date. BTECs dont have an expiry date (although if someone has an old QCF BTEC from about 10 years ago, then some of their 'knowledge' could be out of date, but Universities still shouldn't refuse to accept it). However, as @PQ has already stated, the OP has a Degree and a Masters, so should not need to meet the UCAS requirement anyway.
It depends on each university’s idea.
For example, when I applied to Sunderland I was told that they would not accept my A-levels which I did in 2007.

My firm choice, which is Northumbria, on the other hand, told me that they will accept my A-levels along with my access results

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending