The Student Room Group

I don’t know If I’m attractive anymore

As I’ve grown up, I used to get complimented on my looks all the time. When I started sixth form, everyone knew my name as I was known as the pretty girl. I was complimented by strangers, friends, random guys and people would mention it in conversation. When I started Uni, I was complimented a lot then and guys have stopped me in the street to tell me I’m pretty. Whenever I posted on snapchat and Instagram, I would get loads of compliments.

My boyfriend tells me I’m pretty all the time and I know I am attractive. However, whenever I post I get nothing. I don’t get the same attention from random girls and guys anymore. Even acquaintances don’t compliment me anymore. Does this mean I fell off? Does it mean I have lost my attractiveness or am I not as attractive as I used to be?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Vanity isn't an attractive trait.....
Reply 2
you can't rely on compliments to confirm your attractiveness. i only comment on friends/co-workers appearances if i notice something different about them (they got a haircut, they're dressed in a suit, they bought a new shirt). that doesn't mean they aren't good looking just cuz i didn't tell them so. but if i'm always complimenting for doing the same thing everyday i mean what am i complimenting(?). i'd be worried i came off as disingenuous and/or trying to get them to like me.

i think when people grow up they begin to post less random compliments on social media so i wouldn't take it personally, but idk really cuz i don't do social media. but just think: how many compliments do you need before you know for sure you have nothing to worry about?
Definitely. This does probably mean you've probably aged badly and aren't as attractive as you used to be, hun.

It's obviously hard to hear but there are steps you can take from further deterioration. Start an anti ageing regime as soon as possible. There's no reason why you shouldn't be getting as many compliments, if not more than before and seeing as you're not then it does come down to attractiveness.
Original post by Anonymous
As I’ve grown up, I used to get complimented on my looks all the time. When I started sixth form, everyone knew my name as I was known as the pretty girl. I was complimented by strangers, friends, random guys and people would mention it in conversation. When I started Uni, I was complimented a lot then and guys have stopped me in the street to tell me I’m pretty. Whenever I posted on snapchat and Instagram, I would get loads of compliments.

My boyfriend tells me I’m pretty all the time and I know I am attractive. However, whenever I post I get nothing. I don’t get the same attention from random girls and guys anymore. Even acquaintances don’t compliment me anymore. Does this mean I fell off? Does it mean I have lost my attractiveness or am I not as attractive as I used to be?

Being attractive is not just about looks its about personality too.
Do you need someone to compliment you every second?

I can understand you may be confused because you're not receiving the same amount of compliments anymore but, honestly to develop confidence (from the advice I've seen anyway) you need to see yourself as attractive regardless of how much feedback and compliments you get!
Reply 7
Do you need someone to compliment you every second?

No, I feel like it gets to me after I post something. I feel like I’m glowing up but then I don’t get any compliments. So I don’t know if girls feel intimidated and don’t want to comment or If they feel like I’m not pretty enough for a compliment. I don’t post all the time
Reply 8
Original post by CAB18022
I can understand you may be confused because you're not receiving the same amount of compliments anymore but, honestly to develop confidence (from the advice I've seen anyway) you need to see yourself as attractive regardless of how much feedback and compliments you get!

Thank you. I do feel a lot more confident than I used to be. But when I didn’t acknowledge my own beauty, so many people complimented me around that time and I didn’t realise I was that pretty. I’d never fish for compliments, it just happened and I thought ‘yeah I still got it’ but now I hardly get that so I don’t know if it’s because something about me doesn’t look attractive anymore
Reply 9

your appearance must have changed somewhat over the years. I'm guessing you're still young. You shouldn't have hit the wall yet?
it sounds like you've got the lesson you deserve, I think your ego needed taking down a peg or two.

There's self-love and then there's self-obsessed.
ngl, your attitude is making you seem less attractive, even though I have no idea what you look like.
As you come to the end of your teen years and progress into adulthood your peers will stop focusing so heavily on your looks and instead will be more focused on you as a person.
it sounds like you've got the lesson you deserve, I think your ego needed taking down a peg or two.

There's self-love and then there's self-obsessed.

I don’t think it’s about ego. It was just a question about why so many people would compliment a person and then they don’t
I don’t think it’s about ego. It was just a question about why so many people would compliment a person and then they don’t

because they might not want to come off as trying to suck up to them, or something like that. How many times do you compliment one person?
Original post by KelsieTaylor
because they might not want to come off as trying to suck up to them, or something like that. How many times do you compliment one person?

Fair point. Personally, every time I see someone look really good, I always compliment them, especially if they got dressed up
Fair point. Personally, every time I see someone look really good, I always compliment them, especially if they got dressed up

Me too, but I doubt you always compliment random strangers everyday(saying this because you complained about not getting compliments from random guys and girls).
I don't think you should expect everyone to like you. People are busy, at this time more than ever, they aren't there to like your every move. Just saying.
No, I feel like it gets to me after I post something. I feel like I’m glowing up but then I don’t get any compliments. So I don’t know if girls feel intimidated and don’t want to comment or If they feel like I’m not pretty enough for a compliment. I don’t post all the time

Excuse me? Did I read that correctly? Why would girls ‘feel intimidated by you’?
Original post by KelsieTaylor
Me too, but I doubt you always compliment random strangers everyday(saying this because you complained about not getting compliments from random guys and girls).
I don't think you should expect everyone to like you. People are busy, at this time more than ever, they aren't there to like your every move. Just saying.

The random strangers that complimented me was used as an example of how attractive I must have been for people I don’t even know to stop me in the street. It was a regular occurrence then and not anymore now. Hence why I felt like I’m not as attractive anymore
Original post by 5hyl33n
Excuse me? Did I read that correctly? Why would girls ‘feel intimidated by you’?

There are girls out there that purposely don’t compliment another girl out of jealousy. It happens. Just a thought

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending