The Student Room Group

I don't know if I can cope at uni this year

I'm scared of going to uni this year due to the rise in mental health issues. I myself am struggling a lot right now as well.

It's my first year and I don't know if the support at uni will be enough to help me get through the year.

Scroll to see replies

Hey! Please dont worry!! Things will be alright okay? I suffer with anxiety too.. the mental health support is really good at uni and they are very very supportive! trust me! And if you are anxious about social events and stuff? most things will be online... so you can make friends before hand just like everyone else...

tbh everyone are in the same boat and we dont know what will happen this year! So we are with you!
Mental health access and support from uni is actually really good! There is a lot they can do to help you with such things :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Drop out and do an apprenticeship. If you’re struggling at university why go on? I’ve been in the same situation as you and I wish I did this
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Drop out and do an apprenticeship. If you’re struggling at university why go on? I’ve been in the same situation as you and I wish I did this

University has not started yet, and so I do not think it is wise to advise her to drop out without even knowing what it will be like.
Reply 5
Original post by Thisismyunitsr

I haven't even started uni yet. And for personal reasons, it would be harder to do an apprenticeship.
Reply 6
Original post by bored_user:)
Hey! Please dont worry!! Things will be alright okay? I suffer with anxiety too.. the mental health support is really good at uni and they are very very supportive! trust me! And if you are anxious about social events and stuff? most things will be online... so you can make friends before hand just like everyone else...

tbh everyone are in the same boat and we dont know what will happen this year! So we are with you!

I don't have a diagnosis of any mental health issues and most likely wouldn't qualify for one either. Could I still get support and accommodations?
Original post by Ameba
I don't have a diagnosis of any mental health issues and most likely wouldn't qualify for one either. Could I still get support and accommodations?

Of course! A lot of people know they have psychological health issues, but do not wish to be open about it. I was in exactly the same boat as you, well, perhaps not precisely. I always keep my health issues to myself, as I feel really weak and exposed when telling someone else about it, no matter how counterproductive that may sound. I consider myself to be a proud person, and so the thought of even diagnosing my psychological health issues is a no-go, let alone even seeing a therapist in real life. Support is always available at university, but to get the best out of the situation, you will be required to talk to someone about it. With regards to accomodation, that is specific to the university, but assuming they have spaces left, I am sure they will be able to sort something out for you.

The way I deal with psychological health issues is by keeping busy, be it through exercise, reading, researching or just talking to myself.
Reply 8
Original post by sang-jun
Of course! A lot of people know they have psychological health issues, but do not wish to be open about it. I was in exactly the same boat as you, well, perhaps not precisely. I always keep my health issues to myself, as I feel really weak and exposed when telling someone else about it, no matter how counterproductive that may sound. I consider myself to be a proud person, and so the thought of even diagnosing my psychological health issues is a no-go, let alone even seeing a therapist in real life. Support is always available at university, but to get the best out of the situation, you will be required to talk to someone about it. With regards to accomodation, that is specific to the university, but assuming they have spaces left, I am sure they will be able to sort something out for you.

The way I deal with psychological health issues is by keeping busy, be it through exercise, reading, researching or just talking to myself.

So if I was feeling quite stressed to the point of not being able to cope, would I be able to ask for an extended deadline?
Original post by Ameba
I'm scared of going to uni this year due to the rise in mental health issues. I myself am struggling a lot right now as well.

It's my first year and I don't know if the support at uni will be enough to help me get through the year.

It is scary going to uni, however I would make a few points on that.

1) Not being able to cope is a very common belief, often held surprisingly strongly with people with anxiety/depression. If people with anxiety believe they have great coping skills, this in itself can make quite a large difference over time. Work on changing this belief. It won't make everything disappear overnight, you'll still have anxiety/whatever it is, but when difficulties come along it will make a difference.

2) At uni diagnoses are more likely to be picked up than before/after uni.

3) University is an environment where you can talk to some other students about mental health and you likely won't have experienced anything like this before. This side of mental health support at uni is good. Post-millenials are so open about mental health.

4) University official mental health services are all right. I'm not going to say they are good. As a postgraduate I think a lot of backslapping goes on at universities about how amazing it is, I think this is because post-millenials are not aware and there's an element of taking what you're given or trying to influence other ways on mental health such as university societies. Society has changed faster than university mental health services. However see points 2 and 3.

5) The first year will be gentler than other years. If you need an extension seek help early. A lot of people it runs and runs and they do so too late or at the last minute.

6) For a first year I think this is the best year in history for someone to go to uni if they have anxiety or like things a bit quieter. There will be understanding from staff about the current circumstances, things will be a lot calmer. I hear so many lecturers say exactly the opposite and I think it's unhelpful.
Original post by Ameba

Sorry but if your mental health is poor enough that you're considering that you might not be able to cope with university, you absolutely would be able to get a diagnosis, which could then go on to help you with treatment etc. The majority of students leaving college go on to university, and while nerves (even extreme nerves!) are a normal part of it, genuinely believing that you cannot cope is not. Therefore a diagnosis would help you to get the right kind of support.
Original post by Ameba
I haven't even started uni yet. And for personal reasons, it would be harder to do an apprenticeship.

Original post by sang-jun
University has not started yet, and so I do not think it is wise to advise her to drop out without even knowing what it will be like.

If OP is struggling now how is he/she going to cope ant university which is more stressful. Also how is he/she going to cope with getting a job after university?

THERE ARE SEVENTY GRADUATES FOR EVERY GRADUATE JOB.
Original post by Ameba

Seek help at university.

The language you use about yourself and the outside world on a few threads screams some form of anxiety/depression to me. You need to have a chat to a GP and/or a counsellor at uni about all this stuff, explore it and see what they can come up with. It's quite common for people to survive through school and then go onto uni and get a diagnosis, don't worry. Equally there are people that don't get diagnoses at uni and it lingers/comes back in their later 20s and 30s (met a LOT of people in this category). Often these people are in jobs but really struggling with their personal lives and keeping jobs or not where they want to be and anxiety holds them back massively. Getting a diagnosis and starting early potentially saves years off this process if you're one of the lucky ones and it goes well.

Anxiety is hugely underdiagnosed in the population, there are people out there in jobs, in caring responsibilities and studying who aren't diagnosed. Some have an inkling they have it and keep it to themselves, others have little idea and it's just 'normal' life.
Reply 13
Original post by marinade
Seek help at university.

The language you use about yourself and the outside world on a few threads screams some form of anxiety/depression to me. You need to have a chat to a GP and/or a counsellor at uni about all this stuff, explore it and see what they can come up with. It's quite common for people to survive through school and then go onto uni and get a diagnosis, don't worry. Equally there are people that don't get diagnoses at uni and it lingers/comes back in their later 20s and 30s (met a LOT of people in this category). Often these people are in jobs but really struggling with their personal lives and keeping jobs or not where they want to be and anxiety holds them back massively. Getting a diagnosis and starting early potentially saves years off this process if you're one of the lucky ones and it goes well.

Anxiety is hugely underdiagnosed in the population, there are people out there in jobs, in caring responsibilities and studying who aren't diagnosed. Some have an inkling they have it and keep it to themselves, others have little idea and it's just 'normal' life.

Yes I'm thinking of going to counseling at uni. The reason I'm saying I might not be able to cope is because my family have different religious views to me and I feel like this won't be accepted if I come out to them (which I plan on doing at some point, but defo not before I graduate). So I want to develop a proper support system outside of home to be able to support me if I ever become estranged, but I also want to prove to myself that I can live independently and rely on myself in the future. That's why I'm quite nervous. Judging from the responses here it seems as though I am putting too much pressure on myself.
at every single uni i went to, they pressed the importance of mental health and the wide, wide range of support available.

they are totally aware of how difficult uni can be with studies, making friends, living away from home etc. they've been through this a thousand times before so that they can comfort the thousands of new students that they get every year!

you certainly aren't alone, and university can be an extremely positive experience if you try to open up your mind to the possibility of it :yep:

Spoiler

Original post by Ameba
So if I was feeling quite stressed to the point of not being able to cope, would I be able to ask for an extended deadline?

The only way to find out is to contact them. They should be empathetic.
Original post by Ameba
Yes I'm thinking of going to counseling at uni. The reason I'm saying I might not be able to cope is because my family have different religious views to me and I feel like this won't be accepted if I come out to them (which I plan on doing at some point, but defo not before I graduate). So I want to develop a proper support system outside of home to be able to support me if I ever become estranged, but I also want to prove to myself that I can live independently and rely on myself in the future. That's why I'm quite nervous. Judging from the responses here it seems as though I am putting too much pressure on myself.

Difficult. With family you don't know what's going to happen until it happens, of course a lot of time is spent thinking/planning about it. Good luck.

There is support for estranged uni students nationally at universities, it's something that thousands have to deal with. It's not where it should be at, but it's being worked on.

Another important one to anxiety is growth mindset https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-swZaKN2Ic and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiiEeMN7vbQ which Carol Dweck has done a lot of research on.

You can be nervous, that's understandable. As said already reframing it to exciting or seeing difficulties are more positive things are interesting ideas.
Reply 17
Difficult. With family you don't know what's going to happen until it happens, of course a lot of time is spent thinking/planning about it. Good luck.

There is support for estranged uni students nationally at universities, it's something that thousands have to deal with. It's not where it should be at, but it's being worked on.

Another important one to anxiety is growth mindset https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-swZaKN2Ic and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiiEeMN7vbQ which Carol Dweck has done a lot of research on.

You can be nervous, that's understandable. As said already reframing it to exciting or seeing difficulties are more positive things are interesting ideas.

That's a fair point. Growing up is something most of us have to learn to do anyway and I guess it doesn't have to be perfect.
Original post by Ameba
That's a fair point. Growing up is something most of us have to learn to do anyway and I guess it doesn't have to be perfect.

Growing up could be a harsh way of putting it to some people. Growth is part of the human experience.

I am not that impressed by uni mental health provision, but I agree with an above poster that unis are set up and get the demands of first years.

Another anxiety related quote is anything worth doing is worth doing badly the first time. Yes, it doesn't have to be perfect.

Fear of missing out I feel is such a large issue for first years.

If you are a therapist and teach all of your patients to tell themselves that they have great coping skills some of them will manage better!
It is scary going to uni, however I would make a few points on that.

1) Not being able to cope is a very common belief, often held surprisingly strongly with people with anxiety/depression. If people with anxiety believe they have great coping skills, this in itself can make quite a large difference over time. Work on changing this belief. It won't make everything disappear overnight, you'll still have anxiety/whatever it is, but when difficulties come along it will make a difference.

2) At uni diagnoses are more likely to be picked up than before/after uni.

3) University is an environment where you can talk to some other students about mental health and you likely won't have experienced anything like this before. This side of mental health support at uni is good. Post-millenials are so open about mental health.

4) University official mental health services are all right. I'm not going to say they are good. As a postgraduate I think a lot of backslapping goes on at universities about how amazing it is, I think this is because post-millenials are not aware and there's an element of taking what you're given or trying to influence other ways on mental health such as university societies. Society has changed faster than university mental health services. However see points 2 and 3.

5) The first year will be gentler than other years. If you need an extension seek help early. A lot of people it runs and runs and they do so too late or at the last minute.

6) For a first year I think this is the best year in history for someone to go to uni if they have anxiety or like things a bit quieter. There will be understanding from staff about the current circumstances, things will be a lot calmer. I hear so many lecturers say exactly the opposite and I think it's unhelpful.

I really needed this. Doing a design course and having to go 200+ miles away is SCARY

Quick Reply

Latest