The Student Room Group

Study medicine in Ireland (Cork) or UK (Buckingham)

Study medicine in UCC-Cork or University of Buckingham is better in terms of
1- Future work
2- Reputation
3- Study Facility
4- Test / Exams
5- Internship
You quick reply will be highly appreciated.
Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by Dinahand
Study medicine in UCC-Cork or University of Buckingham is better in terms of
1- Future work
2- Reputation
3- Study Facility
4- Test / Exams
5- Internship
You quick reply will be highly appreciated.
Thank you

I was in your shoes, trying to decide between Ireland, UK, or even the Caribbean. I picked Buckingham (so I may come across as biased). But here is my honest opinion:

1- future work is the most important thing. Med school makes up maybe 1% of your whole career. And if you are left with no residency, thats going to be a huge problem. So I picked the UK because they allow all students to apply for foundation programs and specialty training, regardless of their nationality. Ireland doesnt. If you are not Irish, you will have to go somewhere else for specialty training (US, Canada, UK etc.) and you will be treated as an IMG.

2- in terms of reputation, Ireland has very good med schools with very good reputation, but again you are left with nowhere to go after your med degree. On the other hand, Buckingham is a young school, but it is accredited by the GMC. And in the UK, reputation of the school does not matter at all because they have to adhere to the standards of the GMC to be able to graduate students and award them their med degrees. At the end of the degree all students in the UK will apply to foundation with no differences at all.

3&4- Any school in the world will have the facility needed to teach medicine. And every school will have their own way of testing and assessing the competency of their future doctors. So I dont think these are important points for comparison.

5- I think I answered this above. But to quickly summarize, you wont get an internship/residency in Ireland if you are not Irish/EU. You will get it in the UK if you studied in the UK, regardless of what uni you went to, and where you came from.

Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Hahahah I am not that good in math, but I meant to say that it is important to plan for the future after med school, instead of solely focusing on the school. I agree that the pay in Ireland is good, but it would be hard for an international student to get to that point, if they can't get an internship. All of which point back to why I think Buckingham and the UK is a better option :smile:
Reply 3
Thank you for your reply,I agree with your points as the training after uni is more important. I just had one question I had regarding the exams as I saw someone say that the passing grade is high and quite a few people have to resit the exams is this true or might the person be over exaggerating. Also, can you please clarify the terms dates as I am confused so do you start every year at January or only the first year start at January then the next years at September and when do you finish each year.Your quick reply is highly appreciated.
Reply 4
Original post by Dinahand
Thank you for your reply,I agree with your points as the training after uni is more important. I just had one question I had regarding the exams as I saw someone say that the passing grade is high and quite a few people have to resit the exams is this true or might the person be over exaggerating. Also, can you please clarify the terms dates as I am confused so do you start every year at January or only the first year start at January then the next years at September and when do you finish each year.Your quick reply is highly appreciated.

I can't comment about exams, I am starting first year in January. But what I can say is that medical education is challenging in UK, Ireland and in any part of the world. I also talked to a current student at buckingham, and they said that re-sitting an exam is not really common but it is important to keep in mind that it is a possibility that can happen to anyone. So dont pick one university over the other just because you heard that exams are hard. It will be hard anywhere. It's Medicine, right?.

In terms of the start dates, you start in January and you have 3 semesters per year. the 1st starts in January, 2nd in maybe April/May, and 3rd in August/September. And obviously you will take your breaks in the middle, with a long break in December, for Christmas. That means, the start of a new year will always be in January. So, January 2021 is first year, January 2022 is second year, etc..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending