The Student Room Group

Statistical Officer GSS Recruitment Process

Hi all!

I recently had an interview for a role
as StO and was successful. I’ve sent off my documents however I’m just wondering whether that means that I have secured a place or whether there’s still a chance I won’t be successful?
The excitement of the interview being a success has worn off haha and now getting a bit worried!

Thank you ☺️

Scroll to see replies

What's a Statistical Officer?

(Can't help unfortunately :redface:)
Original post by AbbyFrancome
Hi all!

I recently had an interview for a role
as StO and was successful. I’ve sent off my documents however I’m just wondering whether that means that I have secured a place or whether there’s still a chance I won’t be successful?
The excitement of the interview being a success has worn off haha and now getting a bit worried!

Thank you ☺️

Literally in the exact same position...I might ask the recruitment people what's going on so I can get clarification. From my understanding, we've done the final stage and they're vetting us before allocating a department. There's a diagram from the GSS (possibly out of date) explaining the stages. On this diagram if you're successful at interview you could be allocated a department as a StO or if you're a borderline candidate you could become a temporary StO (assuming you pass vetting). Whether or not "success at interview" means we're not borderline candidates and whether or not this process is out of date, I'm unsure.
Reply 3
In the same position too, passed interview in July but been on a reserve list since. Sent all documents off and been put on a reserve list, fingers crossed something comes through for us all
Original post by Ohj9320
In the same position too, passed interview in July but been on a reserve list since. Sent all documents off and been put on a reserve list, fingers crossed something comes through for us all

Oh wow, they're leaving it quite long then. So has your vetting been completed and you've been put into an official reserve list?
Reply 5
Original post by thomas1972
Oh wow, they're leaving it quite long then. So has your vetting been completed and you've been put into an official reserve list?

Yeah, been on it for around a month now.
Literally in the exact same position...I might ask the recruitment people what's going on so I can get clarification. From my understanding, we've done the final stage and they're vetting us before allocating a department. There's a diagram from the GSS (possibly out of date) explaining the stages. On this diagram if you're successful at interview you could be allocated a department as a StO or if you're a borderline candidate you could become a temporary StO (assuming you pass vetting). Whether or not "success at interview" means we're not borderline candidates and whether or not this process is out of date, I'm unsure.

Yeah i saw that diagram aswell.. i did actually email the recruitment team today and they responded saying they are working on allocation which can take within 4-6 weeks. No clarification on whether the role will be for StO or temporary StO. Looks like it could be a bit of a wait to find out. best of luck, hopefully we find out more soon!
Original post by Ohj9320

wow july? any indication how much longer you will have to wait to hear back on any more info?
Reply 8
wow july? any indication how much longer you will have to wait to hear back on any more info?

Not sure tbh, just been told I’m on a reserve list for up to 12 months
Original post by Ohj9320
Not sure tbh, just been told I’m on a reserve list for up to 12 months

ugh that sucks. how long after you were successful at the interview were you told you’ve been put on the reserve list if you don’t mind me asking?
Reply 10
ugh that sucks. how long after you were successful at the interview were you told you’ve been put on the reserve list if you don’t mind me asking?

About 2 weeks
Yeah i saw that diagram aswell.. i did actually email the recruitment team today and they responded saying they are working on allocation which can take within 4-6 weeks. No clarification on whether the role will be for StO or temporary StO. Looks like it could be a bit of a wait to find out. best of luck, hopefully we find out more soon!

I got the same 4-6 week response too, they never explicitly answered my question about what this means in terms of a job offer. Has anyone else emailed them? It would be nice to know if this means I am guaranteed a job or should I keep looking!!
Original post by Ohj9320
About 2 weeks

If you don’t mind, what were your interview scores for the competency & data analysis Qs?
If you haven't heard back from them then that might be good news cos I got put onto the reserve list about a week ago so they might be busy putting you in department who knows. Whether you've been confirmed a job or not this would be good for future reference on tsr (not just for StO): if you get "success at interview" that's not a guarantee of a job in the cs and you should defo carry on looking for jobs. You could be put on the reserve list which expires in 12 months and gathering from my little research and speaking to a couple of civil servants it's not a great place to be especially if you're like me and got skin of the teeth scores (all 4s) as you get put low on the list. Expiration of reserve places is common apparently. The cs should've made this explicit, but their communication is infamously appalling. On a positive note (and I'm obvs not 100% on this) but I think you can rest easy that if you have a "success at interview" you're not gonna get an outright rejection after that point.

Thanks for your response. When they put you on the reserve list did they first email you to say your interview was a success and to send documents in?
Original post by Missvo59
Thanks for your response. When they put you on the reserve list did they first email you to say your interview was a success and to send documents in?

Yes. First "succes at interview" and hand in docs...two to three weeks later email about reserve list
Yes. First "succes at interview" and hand in docs...two to three weeks later email about reserve list

Sorry, another question. Did they mention anything to you about allocation to a dept and to wait 4-6 weeks? Im just wondering if they say that to everyone
Did anyone get any further updates?
Any updates? This is taking so long 😩
Original post by Missvo59
Any updates? This is taking so long 😩

yeah got an offer at the beginning of november for my second choice location but turned it down as just started employment elsewhere😭 awful timing, have you heard anything?
yeah got an offer at the beginning of november for my second choice location but turned it down as just started employment elsewhere😭 awful timing, have you heard anything?

Ive been allocated a department but I’m just waiting for my checks to happen and its taking so long. I work part time so I dont mind waiting but this would be such a disaster if i wasnt employed.

Were your background/employment checks completed when you rejected their offer??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending