The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Probably because it's seen by most as dull number-crunching. And let's be fair, it is at times.
Reply 2
14/11 of people find it confusing.
Uh.... it doesnt.... where i live. Much prefer doing stats to mechanics...
I love stats and find mechanics okkish. I have to do up to M3 :eek3:
Reply 5
I didn't know it had a bad reputation. :s-smilie:
Reply 6
GavinMcG91
14/11 of people find it confusing.

:rofl:
I was always under the impression that mechanics was harder than stats.
Reply 8
Roobagnall

I also am under the same impression I feel this .
Reply 9
Roobagnall

yes i consider it to be that way,

people dont like stats because they dont find it interesting and they think its a bit pointless
Reply 10
Roobagnall

That's because it is :p:

But lots of people would disagree.. i personally prefer stats anyways.
I like stats but based on the ppl in my maths class, stats is not popular because it costs you valuable marks in the exams if you choke. For instance, if you made an error in a small part of your working out, your whole answer would be wrong. So it is tedious, you have to enter the exact value of the part of the answer to the calculator to get the answer they want e.g. if say you have 2.55987321 as part of the answer and you have to multiply it by 2, you have to multiply by 2 the exact figure and not say, 2.56 or 2.5587321 (missing a digit in this case a 9 between the 5 and the 8). Sorry if you don't understand i'm abit crap at my wording lol
Reply 12
I did statistics as part of my Maths A level and I didn't find anyone in the class who liked it. It was just so boring and I didn't get it.
Reply 13
i always thought that more people preferred stats to mechanics o_O
i cant stand stats. i suck at it, i dont enjoy it, i cant remember any of the things for it, i find it kinda pointless and my teacher for it sucked. oh, and i got less than 50% in my exams in stats which pulled my average riiiiiight down and almost made me fail. O_O
*waves of hate*
Reply 14
I found mechanics and stats equally hard. I'm helpful like that.
Reply 15
Because people don't realise that the study and application of statistics is the ONLY way to get reliable knowledge about the world, and assess how that knowledge supports or refutes theories and hypotheses about how the world works.

Until you realise this simple fact, it's unlikely that you'll see much worth in the study of statistics and probability.
Reply 16
I did Stats at A-Level, pretty easy, if you get some numbers wrong you still get loads for working. Also some simple questions are over 10 marks, or something ridiculous like that for just constructing a confidence interval.
Reply 17
Cexy
Because people don't realise that the study and application of statistics is the ONLY way to get reliable knowledge about the world, and assess how that knowledge supports or refutes theories and hypotheses about how the world works.

Until you realise this simple fact, it's unlikely that you'll see much worth in the study of statistics and probability.

i agree with you it's needed in a lot of fields... any field in which you collect data... from marketing to medical.
I quite enjoyed S1 at A level lol. Though obviously I can't comment on the stuff that extends further than that.
did you know 94% of statistics you read on internet forums are made up?

Latest

Trending

Trending