The Student Room Group

St Andrew's or Imperial for physics

I'm still undecisive on whether I should apply to St Andrew's or Imperial for physics. As of uni life, I dont think it would matter to me that much as I'm not really keen on the nightlife side.
They are two incredibly different unis and both quite difficult to get into. Why not apply to both as you may not get 2 offers which would decide for you
Original post by Sophhhowa
They are two incredibly different unis and both quite difficult to get into. Why not apply to both as you may not get 2 offers which would decide for you

I was thinking of applying to both unis but I have about 6 unis and was hoping to pick one from the 2
Reply 3
So what are the factors that are important to you?
I'm about to go into 2nd year of physics at Imperial so if you have questions I can probably answer them, but I can't compare between Imperial and St. Andrew's.
Original post by Sinnoh
So what are the factors that are important to you?
I'm about to go into 2nd year of physics at Imperial so if you have questions I can probably answer them, but I can't compare between Imperial and St. Andrew's.

What are the students life and city life like at Imperial. Also, what are the physics courses like in Imperial.
Imperial is definitely the stronger uni by reputation/prestige. Don't know about anything else.
Reply 6
Original post by GCSE2019help
What are the students life and city life like at Imperial. Also, what are the physics courses like in Imperial.

City life: London's basically the opposite of St. Andrew's. Huge, busy, expensive, but has everything you could possibly need. If you go to the halls in North Acton then they're the best socially, but the commute will be minimum 30 minutes. After first year you'll probably still be facing a commute, but not as long.
Most student societies are pretty active and there is quite a variety so you should be well sorted for social events I think.

The physics course has had a bit of a notorious reputation, especially the 2nd year, but they have restructured the course to hopefully balance out the workload a bit better, but it is still one of the hardest physics courses out there - according to one of the professors. The first year is more maths-heavy than elsewhere (I think). It starts off simple, much of the early stuff is recap if you've done A-level further maths, but the difficulty sneaks up on you.
You get one 2-hour seminar a week with a quarter of the year group split in groups of 4 or 5, and one academic tutorial every two weeks with no more than 5 students at a time just going over difficult bits you're learning. They're very useful but I wish we had them more often.
Original post by Sinnoh
City life: London's basically the opposite of St. Andrew's. Huge, busy, expensive, but has everything you could possibly need. If you go to the halls in North Acton then they're the best socially, but the commute will be minimum 30 minutes. After first year you'll probably still be facing a commute, but not as long.
Most student societies are pretty active and there is quite a variety so you should be well sorted for social events I think.

The physics course has had a bit of a notorious reputation, especially the 2nd year, but they have restructured the course to hopefully balance out the workload a bit better, but it is still one of the hardest physics courses out there - according to one of the professors. The first year is more maths-heavy than elsewhere (I think). It starts off simple, much of the early stuff is recap if you've done A-level further maths, but the difficulty sneaks up on you.
You get one 2-hour seminar a week with a quarter of the year group split in groups of 4 or 5, and one academic tutorial every two weeks with no more than 5 students at a time just going over difficult bits you're learning. They're very useful but I wish we had them more often.

would you say the tutorial in Imperial is similar to Oxford. Does this also mean there is a heavy work load at Imperial.
Reply 8
Original post by GCSE2019help
would you say the tutorial in Imperial is similar to Oxford. Does this also mean there is a heavy work load at Imperial.

Similar to Oxford tutorials - not quite. Your academic tutor won't set you work and the students decide what they want to go over.

For Imperial physics there's a heavy work load if you choose to do the work, which you should. Most problem sheets are optional but it's still very much recommended that you do them.
Original post by Sinnoh
Similar to Oxford tutorials - not quite. Your academic tutor won't set you work and the students decide what they want to go over.

For Imperial physics there's a heavy work load if you choose to do the work, which you should. Most problem sheets are optional but it's still very much recommended that you do them.

Thank you for all the informations!
Reply 10
If you don't like London, or a big city, don't choose imperial.

If you don't like a small town/university, don't choose St Andrews.

If you don't mind being oart if a very large cohort of students, and it being a bit impersonal, choose Imperial.

If you want to be seen as an individual, choose St Andrews.

Don't worry about prestige, there is not much in it and it really doesn't matter anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending