The Student Room Group

UCL BSc Physics or university of Manchester BSc physics ?

Hello everyone! I am an international student and I apply for BSc Physics. I have already received offers from both UCL and UoM . Now I am struggling for which school I should choose . My interests are mainly for particle physics and cosmology . So I want to know which school has better teaching and researching quality in these two field ? My future plan is to continue to study physics and try to get master and Phd degree . UCL ranks 9th in the QS ranking but the department of physics and astronomy of UoM seems better in undergraduate physics teaching . So considering my future academic plan , which school should I choose ? If anyone has any experience on this , you can feel free to share your ideas with me . Thank you so much for your assistance !
Reply 1
Original post by maple-lyf
Hello everyone! I am an international student and I apply for BSc Physics. I have already received offers from both UCL and UoM . Now I am struggling for which school I should choose . My interests are mainly for particle physics and cosmology . So I want to know which school has better teaching and researching quality in these two field ? My future plan is to continue to study physics and try to get master and Phd degree . UCL ranks 9th in the QS ranking but the department of physics and astronomy of UoM seems better in undergraduate physics teaching . So considering my future academic plan , which school should I choose ? If anyone has any experience on this , you can feel free to share your ideas with me . Thank you so much for your assistance !

Hey there! From what I ve gathered, there isn't a huge gap between the two universities in terms of physics. However, if you're considering to get into finance or IT later on, UCL might have a slight edge. Plus, the UCL brand could be beneficial if you're looking to pursue a master's elsewhere. If money's not an issue and you're cool with doing some self-study, UCL might be the way to go.And (ik this isnt what you asked for but yeah--) I have applied for UCL phy Bsc myself and am waiting to hear back from them. Personally, I havent seen a lot of physics offer holders(intl in particular) in TSR. Would you mind sharing when you applied and when you got the good news?. Also, if it's fine with you, could you share where you're based? Just trying to be positive about my chances! Cheers!!
Reply 2
Original post by pat8314
Hey there! From what I ve gathered, there isn't a huge gap between the two universities in terms of physics. However, if you're considering to get into finance or IT later on, UCL might have a slight edge. Plus, the UCL brand could be beneficial if you're looking to pursue a master's elsewhere. If money's not an issue and you're cool with doing some self-study, UCL might be the way to go.And (ik this isnt what you asked for but yeah--) I have applied for UCL phy Bsc myself and am waiting to hear back from them. Personally, I havent seen a lot of physics offer holders(intl in particular) in TSR. Would you mind sharing when you applied and when you got the good news?. Also, if it's fine with you, could you share where you're based? Just trying to be positive about my chances! Cheers!!

And yeah if u r 100% sure that you will be getting a phd in phy then uom might be better(since they offer scholarships as well)
(edited 4 weeks ago)
Reply 3
Original post by pat8314

Thank you for your reply! The information you shared above is really helpful and important to me. I submitted my UCAS application on October 14th and received the offer from UCL for BSc Physics on March 7th. I am from China. Perhaps UCL is currently on their Easter holiday , so just be patient and good news will come to you I wish you success with your application!
Reply 4
Thank you for your reply! The information you shared above is really helpful and important to me. I submitted my UCAS application on October 14th and received the offer from UCL for BSc Physics on March 7th. I am from China. Perhaps UCL is currently on their Easter holiday , so just be patient and good news will come to you I wish you success with your application!

You are welcome!! I applied arnd the same date as well(oxbridge). I have been seeing people get offers(till the easter break) and thats what i have kept my hopes on. Btw congrats on ur offer and r u planning to firm it(ik its early but yeah u might have an opinion)??
Reply 5
Original post by pat8314
You are welcome!! I applied arnd the same date as well(oxbridge). I have been seeing people get offers(till the easter break) and thats what i have kept my hopes on. Btw congrats on ur offer and r u planning to firm it(ik its early but yeah u might have an opinion)??

I plan to firm UoM and UCL. (We can firm two choices on UCAS, right?) My offer from UoM has already become unconditional, but for UCL, I am still waiting for my IELTS scores. Now, I have a preference for UoM because I am pretty sure I will continue to do a physics master's and PhD (because I am so obsessed with physics). I am still waiting for UCL's offer for natural sciences to come. We can firm our choices after we receive all the offers or rejections. And what is your plan? Is UCL physics your first choice ?
Reply 6
I plan to firm UoM and UCL. (We can firm two choices on UCAS, right?) My offer from UoM has already become unconditional, but for UCL, I am still waiting for my IELTS scores. Now, I have a preference for UoM because I am pretty sure I will continue to do a physics master's and PhD (because I am so obsessed with physics). I am still waiting for UCL's offer for natural sciences to come. We can firm our choices after we receive all the offers or rejections. And what is your plan? Is UCL physics your first choice ?

i am not sure yet i have an offer from man n edinburgh for now n waiting for UCL to reply. I think i could save upto 30k pounds if i go to UOM rather than UCL and thats quite a big amount tbh but yeah i haven't decided yet(assuming i get an offer from UCL obv). Btw u can firm only 1 choice in UCAS. You can choose another college but only as an insurance choice(2nd choice) ie u can only go to ur 2nd choice uni if u dont get into ur 1st choice.

If your offer from Manchester is unconditional and you firm it, you lose all other offers and you go to Manchester.
Original post by pat8314

Hi, this may be a bit unrelated but I applied for astrophysics at UCL and I still haven’t heard back😭 are you looking to firm UCL if you got an offer? I’m debating between UCL and King’s
Reply 9
Original post by man2drippy
Hi, this may be a bit unrelated but I applied for astrophysics at UCL and I still haven’t heard back😭 are you looking to firm UCL if you got an offer? I’m debating between UCL and King’s

Hey!! I am waiting for a reply from UCL as well think we r on the same boat🙂..tbh i havent decided on which to choose as my firm choice am still quite confused. Btw r u an intl student?
Original post by pat8314
Hey!! I am waiting for a reply from UCL as well think we r on the same boat🙂..tbh i havent decided on which to choose as my firm choice am still quite confused. Btw r u an intl student?

No, im from the UK, Hby? If you don’t mind me asking, but where else are you thinking for physics?
Reply 11
Original post by man2drippy
No, im from the UK, Hby? If you don’t mind me asking, but where else are you thinking for physics?

ohh gtk!! am from india 🙂 uhmm in the uk am looking at ucl, manchester n edinburgh
Original post by pat8314
ohh gtk!! am from india 🙂 uhmm in the uk am looking at ucl, manchester n edinburgh

Have you heard from edinburgh?
Reply 13
Original post by WordsFiddle
Have you heard from edinburgh?

yeah I hv received an offer!! wbu
I've heard from all but edinburgh for theoretical physics :/
Reply 15
Original post by WordsFiddle
I've heard from all but edinburgh for theoretical physics :/

ohhh dont worry keep the hopes on am sure u will receive a positive response from them :smile:
Original post by pat8314

ooh, where in India are you? And have you decided which uni you’re going to go to yet?
Original post by contributing-nor
ooh, where in India are you? And have you decided which uni you’re going to go to yet?

oh hey am from mumbai.. no i havent decided yet; ucl hasnt replied so far...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending