The Student Room Group

Coping with trich

Anyone have some good tips for coping with trichotillomania? Specifically the urge to pull. My worst vice is running my fingers through my hair subconsciously :frown:
Original post by chewpacabra
Anyone have some good tips for coping with trichotillomania? Specifically the urge to pull. My worst vice is running my fingers through my hair subconsciously :frown:

If I remember correctly, I believe @laurawatt knows a bit about this and may be able to help you

Spoiler

Hi! Have you thought about where/when your urges to pull are strongest? E.g. for me it’s in front of the mirror in my bathroom, so I try to stay away from looking in that mirror if I don’t need to!
Also things like more stress could affect your trich, so distancing yourself from those stressful things when possible may be something to consider :smile:

It’s quite hard to stop the subconscious actions, but I just try to keep things in my hands wherever possible, even if it’s just a piece of blu-tack or a hair bobble!

I also found keeping a log (like a diary almost) of how many hairs I picked in a day or a comment generally helped me to be more aware of my trich and is one of the big reasons why I’m not affected by it as much now :biggrin:

Could be worth going to your GP about it?
Stay strong, hope I’ve helped!
Original post by DrawTheLine
If I remember correctly, I believe @laurawatt knows a bit about this and may be able to help you

Spoiler

Thank you :hugs:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by laurawatt
Hi! Have you thought about where/when your urges to pull are strongest? E.g. for me it’s in front of the mirror in my bathroom, so I try to stay away from looking in that mirror if I don’t need to!
Also things like more stress could affect your trich, so distancing yourself from those stressful things when possible may be something to consider :smile:

It’s quite hard to stop the subconscious actions, but I just try to keep things in my hands wherever possible, even if it’s just a piece of blu-tack or a hair bobble!

I also found keeping a log (like a diary almost) of how many hairs I picked in a day or a comment generally helped me to be more aware of my trich and is one of the big reasons why I’m not affected by it as much now :biggrin:

Could be worth going to your GP about it?
Stay strong, hope I’ve helped!

Thank you :hugs:

Thank you very much for the helpful advice :shakehand:

To be honest i tend to pull mostly when i'm bored or tired, i suppose it's in part my own fault for not keeping my hands occupied :frown:
The log idea definitely sounds helpful, I will try it!!
Thank you very much for the helpful advice :shakehand:

To be honest i tend to pull mostly when i'm bored or tired, i suppose it's in part my own fault for not keeping my hands occupied :frown:
The log idea definitely sounds helpful, I will try it!!

It’s very easy to blame yourself with something like this, but with it mainly being a pretty subconscious thing, you’re not fully in control of it :nah:
My PMs are open to talk if you ever need :jumphug:

Quick Reply

Latest