The Student Room Group

Huddersfield or Bradford?!

So the time has come to start applying for university for the 2021 intake and I have two options: Huddersfield or Bradford (adult nursing).

If I was to go solely by the websites, reviews etc it would be Huddersfield hands down. The thing is I’m also dictated slightly by my personal circumstances. I am a 32y/o single parent with two young children and low income due to minimal hours because of my access course and time needed for study.

The intake for Huddersfield would be Sept 2021 but the Bradford one differs slightly because they initially employ you in Sept2021 as a full time healthcare assistant and give you experience to then go on and start the course in April 2022 then they guarantee you a band5 nursing job on completion of degree. The pros of Bradford would be experience gained through employment in a hospital setting, easier entry requirements and guaranteed employment after completion of the course. But student reviews and teaching standards seem to be much higher at Huddersfield, plus I would qualify quicker at Huddersfield as the course starts in Sept not the following April.

Please could any current/past students of either of these unis and courses give me an insight? And any other opinions welcome also.

Thanks in advance.
Neither? Both are low ranked in the league tables
I should have explained; I need to stay local due to my children etc. So the only options around here are:
Huddersfield, Bradford, Sheffield (uni of and Hallam), Leeds (uni of and met). I don’t particularly fancy Leeds or Sheffield as I don’t know the areas so that left me with Huddersfield or Bradford. But Huddersfield has got great reviews and seems to be the “go-to” uni for nursing around here. Plus is has a TEF Gold award x @thisismyunitsr
Reply 3
There's that much of a shortage of nurses, you're still guaranteed a band 5 NQN somewhere at the end wherever you go. I stayed local not because of children but because it would otherwise uproot both myself and my husband from a community we're known in and a hospital we're known at in various departments as staff. Nowhere guaranteed me a job at the end but my local hospital was crying out for nurses 5 years ago when I first applied and still is now (I've been qualified 12 months). In fact, if you put a 45 mile radius out from where I live, there's then another 4 general hospitals and they're all desperate for nurses. I've also just looked at the NHS jobs website and there's loads of nursing jobs available in the Huddersfield/Bradford area - this is unlikely to change in the next few years as you do your degree. The Director of Nursing where I work now came to see my cohort in our final year and basically told us that, seeing as we'd done the majority of our placements in that trust, to not do anything stupid, keep working hard, pass the degree, interview ok and we'd pretty much be guaranteed a job.
The other thing I need to point out with nursing, is nowhere really cares where you trained - they genuinely don't give one. (Very much proved my my brother in law not being able to sit still and jumping between nursing jobs/trusts every few years!)
The things that are expected are 1) is your application passable 2) have you interviewed ok 3) WHERE IS YOUR PROFESSIONAL REGISTRATION!?!? Seriously... the only 2 things I was waiting on through all of August last year were my pin to come through and get my degree certificate. Work asked about 5 times in that month (they got the same response every time) why I hadn't sent them it. I wasn't due to start my newly qualified job until October.
Thanks so much Emily, that’s really helpful xx
Original post by chanellejhayes
I should have explained; I need to stay local due to my children etc. So the only options around here are:
Huddersfield, Bradford, Sheffield (uni of and Hallam), Leeds (uni of and met). I don’t particularly fancy Leeds or Sheffield as I don’t know the areas so that left me with Huddersfield or Bradford. But Huddersfield has got great reviews and seems to be the “go-to” uni for nursing around here. Plus is has a TEF Gold award x @thisismyunitsr

TEF is pretty meaningless as it’s just student satisfaction which changes every year anyway. Go for Huddersfield if you’d feel happier there! Good luck and I hope your studies are a huge success!
I would love to be able to look around both but you know.... covid. 😒🤦🏻*♀️. Thanks thisismyunitsr xx
Original post by chanellejhayes
So the time has come to start applying for university for the 2021 intake and I have two options: Huddersfield or Bradford (adult nursing).

If I was to go solely by the websites, reviews etc it would be Huddersfield hands down. The thing is I’m also dictated slightly by my personal circumstances. I am a 32y/o single parent with two young children and low income due to minimal hours because of my access course and time needed for study.

The intake for Huddersfield would be Sept 2021 but the Bradford one differs slightly because they initially employ you in Sept2021 as a full time healthcare assistant and give you experience to then go on and start the course in April 2022 then they guarantee you a band5 nursing job on completion of degree. The pros of Bradford would be experience gained through employment in a hospital setting, easier entry requirements and guaranteed employment after completion of the course. But student reviews and teaching standards seem to be much higher at Huddersfield, plus I would qualify quicker at Huddersfield as the course starts in Sept not the following April.

Please could any current/past students of either of these unis and courses give me an insight? And any other opinions welcome also.

Thanks in advance.

Hi @chanellejhayes

How are you?

Both universities have great nursing courses, and it sounds like you've done your research into them both.

At the University of Huddersfield, all of our Nursing (Adult) BSc students have to undergo two placement blocks every year.
You can find out more information on the placement settings on the course page here.

It's also a good idea to chat to current students to get their opinions on Huddersfield and the course, so please feel free to ask any questions you have on UniBuddy. We have a student who is studying within the health professionals field so they may be able to help with any course/placement related questions. :smile:

I hope this helps, but if you do have any questions, please let me know and I'll do my best to find the answers for you.

Good luck with your decision. :smile:

Harriette

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending