The Student Room Group

Realistic masters options?

So I graduated this June, with a 'good' 2:1 in History (average 66%) from Cambridge. Slightly disappointed with this final mark as previously I had been working at a 'high' 2:1 level, and I am thinking about applying for a Masters in Management or a Masters in Public Policy.

I'm not delusional enough to think I have a shot at the top unis for management as someone with little work experience in the area and average grades, but I'm wondering what realistic options there are for me? I have much more experience/relevant academics for the Public Policy courses, but Management would be more in line for my future career goals...

I know I meet the minimum requirements for most Masters courses, but I feel like this year will be extra competitive (seems like everyone except me has managed to achieve a First or a high 2:1) and will have more applicants generally because of the state of the economy. So essentially I'm wondering which unis I would actually stand a chance with if I apply?

Also, how hard is it to be admitted to a non-UK European university as a UK student? Are the standards higher or lower for admission than they are for RG unis? It would be my dream to study abroad, but I don't want to get my hopes up for nothing.
Reply 1
Have you looked at City University in London? They are highly regarded in Business and Management etc
Reply 2
Original post by Moana92
Have you looked at City University in London? They are highly regarded in Business and Management etc

I would rather avoid London unis, to be honest.
It's generally pretty straightforward to gain admission to EU universities as a UK university graduate, although there will be exceptions for more competitive programs like at the top Grandes Ecoles. Your main worry should be costs.
Reply 4
Original post by Helloworld_95
It's generally pretty straightforward to gain admission to EU universities as a UK university graduate, although there will be exceptions for more competitive programs like at the top Grandes Ecoles. Your main worry should be costs.

Cost is not an issue for me as long as it’s less than American level fees
Original post by wiwp
So I graduated this June, with a 'good' 2:1 in History (average 66%) from Cambridge. Slightly disappointed with this final mark as previously I had been working at a 'high' 2:1 level, and I am thinking about applying for a Masters in Management or a Masters in Public Policy.

I'm not delusional enough to think I have a shot at the top unis for management as someone with little work experience in the area and average grades, but I'm wondering what realistic options there are for me? I have much more experience/relevant academics for the Public Policy courses, but Management would be more in line for my future career goals...

I know I meet the minimum requirements for most Masters courses, but I feel like this year will be extra competitive (seems like everyone except me has managed to achieve a First or a high 2:1) and will have more applicants generally because of the state of the economy. So essentially I'm wondering which unis I would actually stand a chance with if I apply?

Also, how hard is it to be admitted to a non-UK European university as a UK student? Are the standards higher or lower for admission than they are for RG unis? It would be my dream to study abroad, but I don't want to get my hopes up for nothing.

I definitely wouldn't be disappointed with a 2:1 from Cambridge - it's an excellent grade and more than enough to get you onto most Masters courses.

You're right that places on top courses can be competitive but, generally, there is less competition at Masters level than there is for funded PhD places or popular BA/BSc courses.

We do run an MSc in Management at Keele, which includes placement and entrepreneurship pathways, so you might like to take a look at the course details: https://www.keele.ac.uk/study/postgraduatestudy/postgraduatecourses/management/. We're not an RG uni but Keele is ranked 3rd in the UK for business by the Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES 2019), and was ranked joint No.2 in England for Student Satisfaction with Course in the 2020 Guardian University League Table. We're also one of only two universities in the country with a dedicated postgraduate students union - the Keele Postgraduate Association (https://www.kpa.org.uk/).

As a postgraduate student there myself (albeit in the School of Humanities), I can attest that the business school (https://www.keele.ac.uk/kbs/) is well regarded and has excellent facilities - the building is only a couple of years old and the faculty have developed some excellent links with local, national, and international businesses. Keele's also a very friendly place to study - I did my MA there and stayed to do my PhD as I liked it so much - and the living costs in the local area are substantially lower than in other parts of the UK.

If you decide you'd like to know more, you can can chat to Dr. Helen Millward who is the Programme Director for the MSc in Management via Unibuddy on https://api.unibuddy.co/og/keele-university/buddies/staff/5ee262a27a4dd400127a915a.

I'm afraid that I don't know much about studying outside of the EU (other than that US study can be very costly owing to the high university fees in the states). However there are some advice pages at https://www.postgrad.com/advice/study_abroad/ and https://www.findamasters.com/study-abroad/ that you might find helpful. You might also find this blog post helpful: https://www.timeshighereducation.com/student/blogs/considering-doing-masters-why-not-do-it-abroad.

Hope that helps and good luck with your applications!

Amy :smile:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by wiwp

Realistically, you've got a pretty good grade there so don't beat yourself up! You'd honestly have a chance at getting in pretty much anywhere, as the vast majority of universities dictate that a 2:1 or above is needed for PG study.

As for EU unis, I think the process is a bit heavier due to the paper work etc, but nothing major standards wise. I cannot vouch for anywhere further afield such as the US, Canada etc, but within the EU, a 2:1 is as much of a respectable grade as in the UK. That said, the courses at European universities tend to be much heavier and harsher from an academic perspective, with more pressure too. Don't let this put you off though, studying abroad is an invaluable experience which will provide you with memories to last a lifetime!

Hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending