The Student Room Group

Don’t know what to

I am 19 years old and I have no idea what to do with my life. Because of this, I am depressed, lacking motivation and have no direction in life.

I just feel so crap at now, it's hard to focus properly right now. I have no one to turn to for advice, no one understands and just thinks I am lazy etc.

I live with my parents, but I don't want to be obviously, I would much rather be out in the real world on my own living an independent life. I feel like a ****ing loser to be 19, living at home with parents and unemployed, it's a **** situation to be in but people don't understand when you are demotivated how hard it is on a person.

Sometimes I just feel like crying. I am a grown 19 year old adult and I want to cry. I have a small social life, It’s only very few friends because I have grown apart and distanced myself from people, I go to college but it’s not 7 days a week.

Do I want this life? Of course I don't, but I don't know how to change. Each day, week, month seems to pass so fast and next thing I am a year older with still no direction.

I am frustrated and annoyed at myself too for not changing, but it's hard when you have nothing worthwhile or good in your life. Very little family, hardly any friends, no girlfriend or even female acquaintances, no job, no career or life goals etc.

What do I do? All I can do is ask questions on here to a bunch of strangers who don't really know, nor care too much, but I have no one else to turn to, so...
Original post by Anonymous
I am 19 years old and I have no idea what to do with my life. Because of this, I am depressed, lacking motivation and have no direction in life.

I just feel so crap at now, it's hard to focus properly right now. I have no one to turn to for advice, no one understands and just thinks I am lazy etc.

I live with my parents, but I don't want to be obviously, I would much rather be out in the real world on my own living an independent life. I feel like a ****ing loser to be 19, living at home with parents and unemployed, it's a **** situation to be in but people don't understand when you are demotivated how hard it is on a person.

Sometimes I just feel like crying. I am a grown 19 year old adult and I want to cry. I have a small social life, It’s only very few friends because I have grown apart and distanced myself from people, I go to college but it’s not 7 days a week.

Do I want this life? Of course I don't, but I don't know how to change. Each day, week, month seems to pass so fast and next thing I am a year older with still no direction.

I am frustrated and annoyed at myself too for not changing, but it's hard when you have nothing worthwhile or good in your life. Very little family, hardly any friends, no girlfriend or even female acquaintances, no job, no career or life goals etc.

What do I do? All I can do is ask questions on here to a bunch of strangers who don't really know, nor care too much, but I have no one else to turn to, so...

This is how I improved my life. I am your age too:
- Drink 5l of water a day.
- Eat clean.
- Exercise everyday (gym 6 times a week and a sport everyday).
- 8 hours of sleep every night.
- No masturbation (I have reduced this from 3 times a day to just once a day, hopefully it would go down to 0).
- 8 hours of work (university lectures, seminars and further reading).
- 6 hours of personal time (2 hours of language study, 1 hour of gym, 30 minutes of a sport, 30 minutes of an instrument (ukelele), 1 hour of travel (museum, gallery, green space, research institution etc.), 1 hour of reading)). The 1 hour of travel is sometimes replaced with video calling my friend or just talking to her through text.
- On the weekends, I plan on working 8 hours a day should I need to, but since I can manage my finances well, I do not think I will have to go down that route. Instead, I am going to work on my company and writing a book.
I know exactly where you're coming from as I'm also in the same position right now. Trying to juggle academia and mental illness sucks.Change won't happen overnight. If you make an effort to improve your life in subtle ways change will slowly become apparent.You may be a stranger to us but that shouldn't mean we don't care. Don't give up!
Original post by Anonymous

If it makes you feel better I am 24, unemployed graduate and still living at home. You're still young and you'll figure it out soon

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending