The Student Room Group

Anki help! Use shared decks or my own?

I'm sorry if there are a tonne of threads on this, but i just wanted to ask some questions about anki.

Right now I'm predicted A*AA (Year 13) in Chemistry, Biology and History respectively, but I'm really unsure on my ability to recall content.

1) Is it better to make your own anki decks than shared ones? I've been using a shared Biology deck for about a week now and it's pretty good just a bit worried that the information won't be as cemented as a result.

2)If you did make your own decks, what did you use to make them? I have all the textbooks needed, but I find that they are sometimes too in detail to pluck out key info or hard to make up questions to put on the front of the card.

3) Did you make the decks all in one go or staggered? I have a revision plan but I'm not sure if I should make the decks with each week and topic or to make them until i finish them if i do end up making my own.
Reply 1
Hey!

Firstly, well done on gaining such good predicted grades! A great way to start the year.

Now, I would suggest as it's only November now you have time to create your own decks for every single aspect to force you into revision. I used to go and use others and often felt it missed information or focused on cards which for me were "too easy" and I was already familiarised with. Secondly, in my opinion and this can be different for other people's study methods however, I found through the process of actually creating the cards and then reversing the information into questions for anki cards would assist me in just gaining/reinforcing my basic understanding. Statistically, this isn't the most effective way of revision by just making notes but it's the actual as you mentioned the spaced recall and repetition which will assist you in ensuring you can learn everything in the long term!

What I used to make them, I did only sciences and maths so I used:

Spec - which is your best friend
Mark schemes - every bester best friend
and any textbooks etc.

Mainly a mixture of those to create my own answers which I know hit those buzz words the exam board want and will gain me marks.

That's my personal experience, naturally everyone's different. I'd say overall, give it a shot for a week see how you go! Worse can you can go back to using other peoples which isn't a huge deal tbh.

I'm studying medicine right now and I make ankis through my lecture so on average I make around 3 - 4 decks a day. But, that suits my current revision plan and day to day schedule :smile:

Any further questions about anki feel free to ask!
Reply 2
Original post by uktalha
Hey!

Firstly, well done on gaining such good predicted grades! A great way to start the year.

Now, I would suggest as it's only November now you have time to create your own decks for every single aspect to force you into revision. I used to go and use others and often felt it missed information or focused on cards which for me were "too easy" and I was already familiarised with. Secondly, in my opinion and this can be different for other people's study methods however, I found through the process of actually creating the cards and then reversing the information into questions for anki cards would assist me in just gaining/reinforcing my basic understanding. Statistically, this isn't the most effective way of revision by just making notes but it's the actual as you mentioned the spaced recall and repetition which will assist you in ensuring you can learn everything in the long term!

What I used to make them, I did only sciences and maths so I used:

Spec - which is your best friend
Mark schemes - every bester best friend
and any textbooks etc.

Mainly a mixture of those to create my own answers which I know hit those buzz words the exam board want and will gain me marks.

That's my personal experience, naturally everyone's different. I'd say overall, give it a shot for a week see how you go! Worse can you can go back to using other peoples which isn't a huge deal tbh.

I'm studying medicine right now and I make ankis through my lecture so on average I make around 3 - 4 decks a day. But, that suits my current revision plan and day to day schedule :smile:

Any further questions about anki feel free to ask!

Thats so cool you're in med school i'm a med applicant!! I've just realised i've been using the wrong exam board for the shared deck i got my bad :/

But thanks for the advice i will definitely start making my own especially the new year 13 content i've been learning I'm already forgetting it(but after BMAT prep im so swamped). Do you think it would be equally as beneficial if i make my own decks but use other people's to reinforce my making of them? Also unrelated to anki, I'm sure you used past papers/exam questions how did you utilise them, did you do a past paper a week or do topic questions every week like from physics and maths tutor. I know thats a question i should have asked people last year but i was so disorganised last year haha.

Quick Reply

Latest