15mohsinfa
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
What universities give dark academia vibes for medicine?
(except for Oxford and Cambridge)
Stephen Mark
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by 15mohsinfa)
What universities give dark academia vibes for medicine?
(except for Oxford and Cambridge)
First of all, I love you for asking, secondly, I’m in Y13 applying for law so I’m looking for that vibe too. The University of Manchester, Leeds and Cardiff look fantastic in addition to Durham however I’m not sure on their ability or proficiency in medicine.
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
What does that even mean?
15mohsinfa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Stephen Mark)
First of all, I love you for asking, secondly, I’m in Y13 applying for law so I’m looking for that vibe too. The University of Manchester, Leeds and Cardiff look fantastic in addition to Durham however I’m not sure on their ability or proficiency in medicine.
lol literally I only care about the vibe and not the rest, I glad I am not the only one that thinks like that!

But good luck with your law studies!
15mohsinfa
Rep:
?
(Original post by ROTL94)
Like a church..? Idk how to explain it, but pretty much old/ancient and like oxford?
Anonymous17!
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ROTL94)
I’m so confused right not. And also shocked, like I would value the actual reputation of the course and the strengths of the course over what vibe the uni gives. Of course it’s good to want to go to a uni you will enjoy attending, but take into account the reputation of the course etc
CaptainDuckie
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I don’t think the phrase “dark academia” has been used in the right context here...
15mohsinfa
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous17!)
I’m so confused right not. And also shocked, like I would value the actual reputation of the course and the strengths of the course over what vibe the uni gives. Of course it’s good to want to go to a uni you will enjoy attending, but take into account the reputation of the course etc
I get what you're saying but I hate living in a box-like and very futuristic, sleek, glass buildings. I don't hate it but I need trees and ancient-looking buildings to living, obviously, the course structure is very important for me but moving a lot and between different countries has made me quite adaptable to change and I don't really mind the course that much rather than the environment. Also, I am heavily influenced by Gilmore girls and Hogwarts XD
15mohsinfa
Rep:
?
(Original post by CaptainDuckie)
I don’t think the phrase “dark academia” has been used in the right context here...
Wdym? How else could I explain it?
Stephen Mark
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
I think everybody needs to calm down and trust that a medicine applicant is more than able and has done their university research in terms of what they’d like course-wise and is simply wanting to connect with others via an old English genre in which they can wear jumpers, turtle-necks and read poetry whilst studying the etymology of words in solace. *insert indifferent emoji*
Stephen Mark
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
lol literally I only care about the vibe and not the rest, I glad I am not the only one that thinks like that!

But good luck with your law studies!
Quite literally indeed, and the best of luck with yours mon chéri.
15mohsinfa
Rep:
?
I think everybody needs to calm down and trust that a medicine applicant is more than able and has done their university research in terms of what they’d like course-wise and is simply wanting to connect with others via an old English genre in which they can wear jumpers, turtle-necks and read poetry whilst studying the etymology of words in solace. *insert indifferent emoji*
Lol this make me crack up a little and made me so heart-warmed and happy that someone understands, and thank you for your sweet comment : )
15mohsinfa
Rep:
?
Quite literally indeed, and the best of luck with yours mon chéri.
Merci beaucoup!
Stephen Mark
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Lol this make me crack up a little and made me so heart-warmed and happy that someone understands, and thank you for your sweet comment : )
Of course, even when trying to reach out to people we end up finding our way back to a minority of dark academics 🙃 We’re two ends of an ever differing spectrum in some sense, nevertheless if you need a chat or book recommendation feel free to message me.
StarLinyx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Durham is so overrated - once you are there you will realise that other than a cathedral and a small castle there are hardly any other major old buildings. Also, the collegiate system they have is nothing more than a glorified halls of residence. Certainly if you end up at a modern college (i.e. the majority of them), then it will be just like being in a halls of residence. The only plus side to this university is that it has a very good reputation with employers, partly because it attracts high calibre students who like to download domestic league tables, and once they are there they complain that Durham has no international recognition.
themagics1992
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Medical degree is a medical degree where you study it doesn't matter as you'll be taught the same.
StarLinyx
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by themagics1992)
Medical degree is a medical degree where you study it doesn't matter as you'll be taught the same.
Always nice to go to a top school like Bristol if possible. Nice learning environment.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Erm, I guess I can only suggest attending a (virtual) open day :dontknow:

That is not true at all medicine is a very varied course.
themagics1992
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by nexttime)
Erm, I guess I can only suggest attending a (virtual) open day :dontknow:

That is not true at all medicine is a very varied course.
point was you'll graduate with the same.
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by StarLinyx)
Always nice to go to a top school like Bristol if possible. Nice learning environment.
For medicine there's no "top" or "bottom" university. Rankings, "prestige" and Russell Group or not does not matter for medicine, at all. (If you count rankings, Dundee and Aberdeen both ranked higher than Oxbridge this year) All medical schools are GMC accredited and when it comes to specialty applications it doesn't matter whether your degree is from Oxford or Buckingham, Cambridge or Anglia Ruskin. You don't have an advantage even if you graduated from Oxbridge.

So pick according to your own stats (i.e. if your GCSEs aren't prefect, avoid Oxford), teaching styles (traditional vs PBL vs integrated), location (South vs North, city vs rural), student satisfaction, FY1-preparedness etc. etc. and not prestige or rankings.

point was you'll graduate with the same.
Indeed, medical degrees are the same wherever you graduate.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
31.45%
No - I have already returned home (20)
12.58%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (34)
21.38%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.81%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25.79%

Watched Threads