The Student Room Group

Boswell-Bèta physics exam

I want to study medicine in the Netherlands, but I don't take Physics and need to fulfill the requirements by taking the Boswell-Beta or CCVX exam. I'm kind of triggered, since I'm in the IB and it's not even possible to take all three sciences and it's sad that the universities don't take that into consideration. Nevertheless, my questions are:
1. What's the difference between Boswell-Beta and CCVX?
2. Is it possible to learn the Physics material in 1.5 months if I haven't taken Physics in about 2 years?
3. How much do I need to score to pass the exam?

Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

hey!
I don't know answers to any of your questions unfortunately, but just wanted to let you know that I'm in a similar situation so we can discuss it!
I'm probably taking the Boswell Beta one since I don't think the CCVX are offered in summer and I really want to do one in summer so after the final exams
looking at the topics (I haven't found any specific specification) it looks like there is a lot of it (depends how much in depth it is), but should be manageabl probably, especially that from what I know we just have to pass it, no matter what the exact score is.
btw, are you applying to Groningen or Maastricht? and are you from the UK or somewhere else?
Reply 2
Original post by VanillaCream
hey!
I don't know answers to any of your questions unfortunately, but just wanted to let you know that I'm in a similar situation so we can discuss it!
I'm probably taking the Boswell Beta one since I don't think the CCVX are offered in summer and I really want to do one in summer so after the final exams
looking at the topics (I haven't found any specific specification) it looks like there is a lot of it (depends how much in depth it is), but should be manageabl probably, especially that from what I know we just have to pass it, no matter what the exact score is.
btw, are you applying to Groningen or Maastricht? and are you from the UK or somewhere else?

Hey! Yeah there seems to be a lot of topics, but I would be aiming just to pass too. So I hope it's manageable. I'm also thinking of taking it in the summer. Are you planning to study on your own or take some courses? I'm applying to Groningen and I'm from Eastern Europe:smile:
Original post by justineooo
Hey! Yeah there seems to be a lot of topics, but I would be aiming just to pass too. So I hope it's manageable. I'm also thinking of taking it in the summer. Are you planning to study on your own or take some courses? I'm applying to Groningen and I'm from Eastern Europe:smile:

cool! I'm also (probably) applying to Groningen and I'm from Eastern Europe, too :smile: I don't think I will take the official courses because they seem to be very expensive, but I think I might just find a tutor who would go through the specification with me
btw, what do you think of the idea of learning Dutch in 3 years and then studying in Dutch? sounds terrifying to me haha
Reply 4
cool! I'm also (probably) applying to Groningen and I'm from Eastern Europe, too :smile: I don't think I will take the official courses because they seem to be very expensive, but I think I might just find a tutor who would go through the specification with me
btw, what do you think of the idea of learning Dutch in 3 years and then studying in Dutch? sounds terrifying to me haha

Yeah, I'm planning to interrogate my Physics HL friends :biggrin: About the language - I was worried about that too, but I've talked to a few international students who study/have studied in the Netherlands and they have ensured that it is very possible, especially if you put in the extra effort and, for example, take part in the communities in the university, etc. There are also available language courses provided by uni. So, I'm kind of less stressed about it now, but we'll see hah.
Hey! So I'm in the same boat as you—unfortunately... I'm going to write my exam on the 22nd of July. Have you already written it? Do you have any tips, notes, or practice questions? I can share what I have as well :smile:
Original post by happyhugs32
Hey! So I'm in the same boat as you—unfortunately... I'm going to write my exam on the 22nd of July. Have you already written it? Do you have any tips, notes, or practice questions? I can share what I have as well :smile:

Hi! I decided not to take the place at uni and instead take a gap year, so I'm not taking the exam (at least not this year). But good luck to you! :smile:
Hi! I decided not to take the place at uni and instead take a gap year, so I'm not taking the exam (at least not this year). But good luck to you! :smile:

Thank you!! I hope you have a great gap year.
I am super scared to write the exam... I have not heard a single good thing about it hahaha
@happyhugs32 can you maybe share your mathematics notes please and also chemistry ?
Hi, i'm also taking the exam of botswell beta in Physics and chemistry and I have failed both once (only had 20 days to go through both topics and I haven't done ANY science in 4 years so makes sense). I am currently studying solo on both topic to pass it in April. So far I am making progress but sadly they removed the list of topics we need to study for physics and replaced it with a vague "all the VWO program" anyone got a screenshot?

also 5.5 is passing grade
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi!! I'm in the same boat as you, I'll take the physics exam in April and don't know a thing about physics.. so that's gonna be fun haha. But if you want we can exchange contacts and help each other out :smile: my instagram is lauura.sophie
(edited 2 years ago)
Hi! I am planning to take the Boswell exams in chemistry and physics and was wondering if anyone would be interested in studying together?
Reply 12
Hi, im taking physics in July and im freaking out. Did you do anything specific to prepare that you can reccomend?
you can work on the mock exam they give out on the website. and also having a standard book like "advanced physics for you" is pretty good.
Good luck to you all
Hey! I am also taking chemistry in july the 4th. If you want I can give you my insta account and we can help each other while preparing for chemistry.
omg same !
Hello how did you do cause I am in the same boat as you...
hEY!! Can you share some of your practice questions please? I am taking the exam this July and I am freaking out haha. my instagram is @gracaa.serra thanks!
Original post by gracaserra
hEY!! Can you share some of your practice questions please? I am taking the exam this July and I am freaking out haha. my instagram is @gracaa.serra thanks!

Hi I'm also going to take chem and physics in July ! If you don't mind could we be study buddies ? ( to keep me accountable haha and share any issues/resources to help us pass these exams :smile:)
Reply 19
Original post by Liss_aurora*
Hi I'm also going to take chem and physics in July ! If you don't mind could we be study buddies ? ( to keep me accountable haha and share any issues/resources to help us pass these exams :smile:)

I only saw this now! Of course, hit me up on insta. My best friend is also in the same boat so we can make a groupchat with lost people :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending