The Student Room Group

IT apprenticeship

I am doing a level 3 infrastructure technician apprenticeshipAnd I have found out that I'm the only apprentice in my area to get this far before and I can understand why. There is a large miscommunication issue and I have no motivation to do this work other than the pay, I already have a level 3 qualification for IT from college and only really wanted to get experience. I'm not enjoying this side of IT (dealing with hardware, plus it's in a school so I feel like I'm sometimes teaching, something I didn't sign up for, or printing for teachers/TAs).Plus I failed one of my exams for the qualification, have hardly felt like having time for the actual apprenticeship (portfolio and revision) side of the apprenticeship.Now that I've been there for 8 months, should I look for something more suited to what I want to do? Seeing as I now have experience and could hopefully find something I'd enjoy doing more in the IT sector.
Reply 1
Original post by lucyjane0202
I am doing a level 3 infrastructure technician apprenticeshipAnd I have found out that I'm the only apprentice in my area to get this far before and I can understand why. There is a large miscommunication issue and I have no motivation to do this work other than the pay, I already have a level 3 qualification for IT from college and only really wanted to get experience. I'm not enjoying this side of IT (dealing with hardware, plus it's in a school so I feel like I'm sometimes teaching, something I didn't sign up for, or printing for teachers/TAs).Plus I failed one of my exams for the qualification, have hardly felt like having time for the actual apprenticeship (portfolio and revision) side of the apprenticeship.Now that I've been there for 8 months, should I look for something more suited to what I want to do? Seeing as I now have experience and could hopefully find something I'd enjoy doing more in the IT sector.

There's really no harm in looking at your other options and searching for things you are better suited to. I think your main focus should be on figuring out eactly what it is you might enjoy doing in IT. Apprenticeships can be quite specific, especially at lower levels but if you sign up for a degree apprenticeship for example, you'll likely be exposed to many different areas within IT as opposed to a really specific subsection in a Level 3 apprenticeship.

If I were you i'd just finish the level 3 thing you're doing now so I can at least get the qualification and just put it behind me. Means to an end type thing. But if its really making you miserable and affecting your mental health I'd drop it asap and speak to an adult/councellor of some sort who can help me figure out my options. tbh id speak to a careers person regardless just to see what I can do next but idk what is available to you. If you have a line manager or a "buddy" etc, ask them for help too
Original post by lucyjane0202

Hey Lucy I'm currently undergoing the same apprenticeship as you .could you please send me a PM and support a fellow apprentice .

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending