The Student Room Group

personal statement HELP

Hi guys, i am applying for computer science at university. This might sound stupid but i don’t really know the answer to why i want to study it. I mean i have always wanted to do it cuz i like programming. can u guys tell me what is fascinating about computing
Original post by Twumwaa01
Hi guys, i am applying for computer science at university. This might sound stupid but i don’t really know the answer to why i want to study it. I mean i have always wanted to do it cuz i like programming. can u guys tell me what is fascinating about computing

To do stuff like this you’ve got gotta learn to be full of pretentious bullsh*t

Do you “like programming”? Or are you “passionate about computer studies specifically programming and would love to learn as much as you can about it”

Do you think it’s interesting? Or do you think “computer studies has always been of great interest to me and it has been one of my goals in life to learn more about it”

And stuff like that, just list a load of reasons however small they are and change them to something pretentious
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
How would I be pretentious about “I enjoy programming”. “I am particularly fascinated by artificial intelligence” Can we also please dm instead?
Original post by Blueclueless
To do stuff like this you’ve got gotta learn to be full of pretentious bullsh*t

Do you “like programming”? Or are you “passionate about computer studies specifically programming and would love to learn as much as you can about it”

Do you think it’s interesting? Or do you think “computer studies has always been of great interest to me and it has been one of my goals in life to learn more about it”

And stuff like that, just list a load of reasons however small they are and change them to something pretentious
How would I be pretentious about “I enjoy programming”. “I am particularly fascinated by artificial intelligence” Can we also please dm instead?

Sure thing

This does beg the question of why you're applying for CompSci at university. You like programming and that's great. But why commit to a CompSci degree? Why not just pursue programming as a hobby? Or take online courses? What are you actually hoping to get out of a degree?

Generally I don't recommend someone go to university without a fairly clear idea of why they're going. It's a big commitment and not something to enter into on a whim. Start by answering why it is you want to go, and build from there. Because if you can't answer the "why do you want to study it" question, then how do you actually know that you do want to study it?

Incidentally this isn't supposed to be offputting, just an attempt to get you thinking about the reasons for yourself. Lying will only get you so far, and if you actually aren't that interested then odds are you won't do all that well.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending