The Student Room Group

5 alevels - workload and is it worth it? Uni applications etc

Hey so I'm currently taking 5 alevels in yr 12 which are

OCR further maths
OCR maths
Edexcel English Lit.
Edexcel Geography
Edexcel Japanese

Japanese is the language I speak at home and I'm planning to take it this year. Can I still put it forward as one of my three alevels i take to uni as I'm pretty certain that I'm gonna get an astar. Issue is I heard unis like oxbridge don't like it if u take languages early....

Also should I drop further maths at the end of year 12? I enjoy it but it's a lot of hard work and I'm not doing sciences at uni.

EDIT: So I decided to carry on with 5 and maybe drop further at AS if its effort and too much work. Thanks for all your replies!!
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Don't do 5 imo do 4 max (Japanese then 3 other A-levels)
Original post by chocomangomochi
Hey so I'm currently taking 5 alevels in yr 12 which are

OCR further maths
OCR maths
Edexcel English Lit.
Edexcel Geography
Edexcel Japanese

Japanese is the language I speak at home and I'm planning to take it this year. Can I still put it forward as one of my three alevels i take to uni as I'm pretty certain that I'm gonna get an astar. Issue is I heard unis like oxbridge don't like it if u take languages early....

Also should I drop further maths at the end of year 12? I enjoy it but it's a lot of hard work and I'm not doing sciences at uni.

I would drop FM at the end of year 12 if you’re going to get an AS in it. Otherwise drop it earlier if you don’t need it for a maths/science degree
Take three plus Japanese if you think you can cope - but really do you need to take Japanese, whats the point apart from a vanity project? FIVE subjects is totally ridiculous.

No University requires more than 3 A levels - and AAA will always look better than BBBBB because you took on too much.
Original post by McGinger
Take three plus Japanese if you think you can cope - but really do you need to take Japanese, whats the point apart from a vanity project? FIVE subjects is totally ridiculous.

No University requires more than 3 A levels - and AAA will always look better than BBBBB because you took on too much.

They speak Japanese (I am assuming it's their native tongue I mean it's a free A-level lol) but yeah doing 5 A-levels is bad imo the OP should only do 4 imo (3 if Japanese isn't their home tongue).
Might be fine, depending on how much you have to work at Japanese. Won't give you any advantage. If you're struggling, drop one. FM seems the candidate here if you're spending "too much" time on it, even if Japanese is discounted you still have the other 3.
Not necessarily. Many, many native speakers struggle to do well on the oral and written exams because they're much too colloquial and don't actively know to employ sophisticated grammar or vocabulary.

I actually know a lot of native speakers who barely scraped or missed A grades. Native speakers can often be some of the toughest to teach A level MFL to because the academic side of their language sounds incredibly foreign and unnatural to them.
Don’t do that to yourself, what university are you exactly going to get into with 5 A’s lmao?
Just do 3, you’re going to be exhausted
I think that if you do Japanese in year 12 then you’ll be fine with 4 :smile: But 3 other alevels would be preferable and would make your life easier. Start with the 4 + Japanese and drop one of you feel you are struggling or have a subject that you don’t like. Good luck!
Original post by theJoyfulGeek
5 doesn't help with uni applications - I'm doing 5! It just took me forever to fill in the Cambridge SAQ with all topics studied. And it gave me more choices for the NSAA (although I did the same science for both sections, so...)

For your uni three A levels, they all have to be taken in the same year. So, if you do a language early, that's great! Oxford won't hate it. It shows that you're good. However, it won't be in your offer and you need another three (sorry). Imperial College might accept early maths - I don't know.

Thank u for the info!! Yeahhh I realise it doesn't probably help for uni but I enjoy all of them and hopefully i will continue to... But good luck for ur cambridge application also dyu recommend filling in the cambridge SAQ and wat were ur 5 subjects and hows the workload
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by harrysbar
I would drop FM at the end of year 12 if you’re going to get an AS in it. Otherwise drop it earlier if you don’t need it for a maths/science degree

I'm not going to get an As but ngl I will probs drop fm if it gets too much which it might... but idk yet
Original post by 1st superstar
They speak Japanese (I am assuming it's their native tongue I mean it's a free A-level lol) but yeah doing 5 A-levels is bad imo the OP should only do 4 imo (3 if Japanese isn't their home tongue).

yeah it practically is dyu think I should drop further maths?
Original post by Quick-use
Not necessarily. Many, many native speakers struggle to do well on the oral and written exams because they're much too colloquial and don't actively know to employ sophisticated grammar or vocabulary.

I actually know a lot of native speakers who barely scraped or missed A grades. Native speakers can often be some of the toughest to teach A level MFL to because the academic side of their language sounds incredibly foreign and unnatural to them.

hey so about this particular point ^^ So in Japanese there's no oral exam (cuz its ridiculously hard for a none native speaker to take japanese alevel in the first place)but I agree its slightly strange learning the language from I guess a non native standpoint. I do think with the case of ur native friends it was probably cuz they didn't follow exam technique etc not cuz they struggled with it. There's a particular amount of grammar/vocab u have to add and a lot of native speakers just write, write and even if it makes sense it might not get them marks
Never mind what they say about languages. I did Italian A-Level in Y12 and Oxford included it in my offer.
I dropped further at the end of yr12 and best choice I’ve made in a while.
Original post by ldnoxf20
Never mind what they say about languages. I did Italian A-Level in Y12 and Oxford included it in my offer.

Hey! What did u do at oxford and what did the offer look like if you don't mind me asking
Hey! What did u do at oxford and what did the offer look like if you don't mind me asking

Law.

It was AA instead of AAA
yeah it practically is dyu think I should drop further maths?

Drop the A-level that you will enjoy the least imo.
u are gonna burn urself out mate
Original post by Quick-use

This is me right now I speak French fluently as I lived there and I struggle with the a level I assumed I would be on A* like I wa sat gcse but I’m on A/B

Quick Reply

Latest