The Student Room Group

Maths/Physics Degree Help!

Hello! I'm pretty sure I want to study a maths/physics (haven't quite decided which one yet) at uni, and was wondering what looks good for an application form? I'm in year 12, and not sure where I will apply to yet, but I have considered Cambridge.
Currently all I can think of to put on the form is the "Hans Woyda" maths club, highest score on the Intermediate Physics Olympiad in my school, and results from JMC and IMC. Did the SMC today and pretty sure I messed it up lol, so that won't be going on there (probably). I have a music diploma if that counts, but I know I need more maths/physics related stuff!
Thanks in advance!
(Note: Sorry, this is a repost because I put my previous post in the wrong category lmao).
(edited 3 years ago)
Universities, particularly the top ones, don't really care about things like jmc, imc, physics olympiad, etc. They are a type of problem solving that is very different to what you will have to do for uni. I'm a maths student at Oxford, and my ps was mainly about some maths related work experience I did and a summer school I went to. You want to get across a passion for your subject.
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply! That makes sense, though due to Covid, I can't really get any work experience this year, at least not at the moment. Not sure If summer schools will be taking place (perhaps on zoom? :frown:).
I'm kind of happy at these things don't really count, but at the same time, how do you convey your enthusiasm for a subject without sounding like you're boasting and/or seeming overly keen?
Idk but trying to show I love a subject whilst having nothing to show for it doesn't feel like it'll work out for me.
I'm quite a way off actually writing this personal statement thing, but it scares me tbh lol.
Reply 3
semi stupid question - a maths/physics club help? I've considered doing it for a while, just scared to actually start ahaha.
couple of other ideas that popped into my head:
- writing articles for my school's STEM newspaper lol
- idk if hans woyda helps but continuing to do that
- asking my teachers (if I ever get the courage)
Original post by Asymptotic
Thanks for the reply! That makes sense, though due to Covid, I can't really get any work experience this year, at least not at the moment. Not sure If summer schools will be taking place (perhaps on zoom? :frown:).
I'm kind of happy at these things don't really count, but at the same time, how do you convey your enthusiasm for a subject without sounding like you're boasting and/or seeming overly keen?
Idk but trying to show I love a subject whilst having nothing to show for it doesn't feel like it'll work out for me.
I'm quite a way off actually writing this personal statement thing, but it scares me tbh lol.

What kind of things would you say that you think could be interpreted as boasting? You shouldn't really be worried about boasting or seeming overly keen. There are people studying maths/physics at Cambridge where the subject is their whole life. And you shouldnt be scared of a ps. The ps isn't the biggest deal in the world, especially for Cambridge.
Original post by Asymptotic
semi stupid question - a maths/physics club help? I've considered doing it for a while, just scared to actually start ahaha.
couple of other ideas that popped into my head:
- writing articles for my school's STEM newspaper lol
- idk if hans woyda helps but continuing to do that
- asking my teachers (if I ever get the courage)

Doing things like this is good, but you have to realise the amount they increase your chance of getting in is very small.
Reply 6
Original post by Mrepic Foulger
Doing things like this is good, but you have to realise the amount they increase your chance of getting in is very small.

Gosh I totally forgot to respond, had a lot of tests. Thank you so much! Yeah I realise now that kind of stuff isn't really sought after haha. Currently just joining loads of online events and reading books, honestly not sure what else I can do atm...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending