The Student Room Group

How is it possible to remember so many case studies for psychology????

It has literally only been 2 months of me doing psychology but my brain capacity can only handle so much. Literally every lesson there are at least 3 studies and so many names and dates.It is so hard!
I need help any advice????
Reply 1
(What exam board are you doing? I’m doing AQA, so I don’t know how picky other exam boards are about names and dates, but from what I know they’re generally pretty similar)

It’s daunting at first but once you get to revising you’ll find it easier to remember the relevant ones. I never thought I’d remember them all but now I’m in year 13 I find it pretty easy to remember the ones we studied last year. As long as you remember a few key theorists/studies per topic (for example, Asch, Zimbardo and Milgram for social influence), you don’t need to worry about the other names. If you’re using a study for evaluation, you can just say ‘research has shown’ instead of listing a specific researcher, the name doesn’t matter too much. And don’t worry about dates, you don’t really need to know the specific year, but just having a general idea of the decade in which the research was carried out can be helpful for evaluating. Good luck!
Original post by AlixshaxAli
It has literally only been 2 months of me doing psychology but my brain capacity can only handle so much. Literally every lesson there are at least 3 studies and so many names and dates.It is so hard!

You get use to it as you go along I know psychology is very content heavy and work piles so make sure to stay on top of it also make revision materials as you go along do NOT cram this all before exams it will not work trust me..but you shouldn’t need to memorise the dates at all (we didn’t) or all the names just the key names would be fine and if you forget a name just address them as “a psychologist found that..” maybe writing out evaluation paragraphs of the studies may help you remember it better or make mindmaps?
Reply 3

Original post by millsr
(What exam board are you doing? I’m doing AQA, so I don’t know how picky other exam boards are about names and dates, but from what I know they’re generally pretty similar)

It’s daunting at first but once you get to revising you’ll find it easier to remember the relevant ones. I never thought I’d remember them all but now I’m in year 13 I find it pretty easy to remember the ones we studied last year. As long as you remember a few key theorists/studies per topic (for example, Asch, Zimbardo and Milgram for social influence), you don’t need to worry about the other names. If you’re using a study for evaluation, you can just say ‘research has shown’ instead of listing a specific researcher, the name doesn’t matter too much. And don’t worry about dates, you don’t really need to know the specific year, but just having a general idea of the decade in which the research was carried out can be helpful for evaluating. Good luck!

Thank youuuuu!!!!
Hi there,

Psychology does involve a lot of case studies throughout the whole course, whether it be A-Level or further education. This can be quite daunting to begin with, but staying on top of everything that you have learnt is the best way to get through all the case studies and remember significant parts. A lot of the case studies that you will be taught may not necessarily be of the utmost importance, for example, you may only need a certain section such as the results to be remembered. For all the case studies you are told about, making notes in the way that works best for you will help you remember the parts that are important. I am currently studying a degree in Criminology and Psychology and had a module on the Key Studies in Psychology where I had to learn 20 different case studies, remembering all of the information from hypotheses to the results. Writing down each individual section of the case study and reading, re-reading and re-writing the information multiple times really helped me to remember what was important. Sometimes you have to figure from what you're being taught, whether it is necessary information that will give you the marks necessary to get good grades.

Toni,
Student Ambassador

practise is key. I don't know if you've started memory, but it shows that continuous practise increases recall

Moved to study help :smile:

@AlixshaxAli
If you are currently studying the 'classics' as I call them such as Asch, Milgram, Zimbardo etc., if you are struggling to remember key aspects of their work I think it is a good idea to do some multi-media revision which really helps me (as I have dyslexic tendencies). There are some excellent videos on YouTube which cover the key theorists - there is a great podcast on the Stanford Prison Experiment https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b008crhv

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending