The Student Room Group

Addresses on cover letters, yes or no?

On cover letters I've put my address and company address, is that the right thing to do even if its email?
Original post by route255
On cover letters I've put my address and company address, is that the right thing to do even if its email?

Modern convention is that you drop putting in the recipients address if you are sending the letter as an email attachment.

The recipients address began to be written on the left hand side, above the salutation when windowed envelopes were created. In that position the letter can be folded to show the address through the window. It serves no other purpose, so if you aren't using a windowed envelope it's redundant.

You keep your own address top right though.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Modern convention is that you drop putting in the recipients address if you are sending the letter as an email attachment.

The recipients address began to be written on the left hand side, above the salutation when windowed envelopes were created. In that position the letter can be folded to show the address through the window. It serves no other purpose, so if you aren't using a windowed envelope it's redundant.

You keep your own address top right though.

Thanks. I got told to use the email as the cover letter and the attachment is your CV.
Original post by route255
Thanks. I got told to use the email as the cover letter and the attachment is your CV.

That's wrong. The covering letter is just that, a letter, it needs to be sent as an attachment. In anything more than the smallest organisation, the person who opens the email is not the person that makes the assessment, there's no point sending your covering letter to the admin assistant, makes it much harder for them to drag and drop it into the applicant folder or whatever their process is.

The email is just a short note saying please find attached my CV and covering letter in application for(job title). The CV and covering letter are usually 2 attachments with the title J Smith (Company) CV.docx and J Smith (Company) covering letter.docx. That way you can also keep track of what CV you sent to each job, in case you get called for interview.
Reply 4
That's wrong. The covering letter is just that, a letter, it needs to be sent as an attachment. In anything more than the smallest organisation, the person who opens the email is not the person that makes the assessment, there's no point sending your covering letter to the admin assistant, makes it much harder for them to drag and drop it into the applicant folder or whatever their process is.

The email is just a short note saying please find attached my CV and covering letter in application for(job title). The CV and covering letter are usually 2 attachments with the title J Smith (Company) CV.docx and J Smith (Company) covering letter.docx. That way you can also keep track of what CV you sent to each job, in case you get called for interview.

Thats the way ive been doing it! But ive had conflicting information, that you use the email with attached CV. And has me wondering.

I agree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending