The Student Room Group

What to include in cover letter for scientific placement?

hello, I'm applying for a placement during my 2nd year of biomed.The placement is research related related to cancer. I just want to know what I should include in the cover letter, how long it should be and stuff like that.

thank you.
Original post by modus0perandi
hello, I'm applying for a placement during my 2nd year of biomed.The placement is research related related to cancer. I just want to know what I should include in the cover letter, how long it should be and stuff like that.

thank you.

Hi @modus0perandi

I am a biochemistry student, currently on a biotechnology placement! I would recommend using your cover letter to highlight why you want that specific role at that specific company, so prove you've done some research on them and that you're passionate about the sector they work in. I'd also maybe re-emphasise any key skills you have that they highlighted in the job description and where you've developed them, as you could probably give a little more context than in your CV.

As an undergraduate I'd personally recommend no longer than a page (but I'm not a careers expert), and none of my cover letters were the full page. Definitely use paragraphs to divide up the content.

It's maybe a little old fashioned but I always followed a very classic format, I'd put their address and my address at the top, my contact details, and the date. If I knew who I was sending the letter to, I put "Dear Dr/Mr/Mrs... Name" and signed it off "Yours sincerely, signature + typed name", and if I didn't I'd put "Dear Sir or Madam" and sign it "Yours faithfully, signature + typed name". I also always put the job name as the title before I wrote the actual content of the letter.

Good luck with your applications!
Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
thank you. the placement is actually research in my university. it's related to cancer which is something ive been through myself. so i'm particularly interested in it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending