The Student Room Group

A level chemistry help :(

Hi!
I’m currently in year 12 (into my third month now) but I’m finding it really stressful...
My exam board is AQA and eventhough we did that for gcses as well I feel like I’m at a disadvantage to everyone 😭 I feel so dumb compared to my classmates and my grades are a sight for sore eyes!
Anyone else who did or is doing aqa chemistry can you lend some tips on how to revise and how to make notes?
Much appreciated 🥺🙏🏻
I did AQA A Level Chemistry and ended up with an A as my CAG (didn't do a levels coz of covid) last year so I'll just say what I did.

Essentially in my opinion, the best 2 ways to revise for chemistry are to answer exam questions and to watch YouTube videos. (actually that's wat I did for all my subjects)

I'd seriously recommend that you check out Eliot Rintoul on YouTube as his content is what got me through A Level Chemistry. For exams I'd watch his videos on the topics and then do exam questions on the topics as well. (Check out PMT for exam questions, it has a whole bunch of them).

If you have any other questions feel free to message me, or just continue speaking here. whatever you're comfortable with.
Reply 2
Original post by Chowderzzz
I did AQA A Level Chemistry and ended up with an A as my CAG (didn't do a levels coz of covid) last year so I'll just say what I did.

Essentially in my opinion, the best 2 ways to revise for chemistry are to answer exam questions and to watch YouTube videos. (actually that's wat I did for all my subjects)

I'd seriously recommend that you check out Eliot Rintoul on YouTube as his content is what got me through A Level Chemistry. For exams I'd watch his videos on the topics and then do exam questions on the topics as well. (Check out PMT for exam questions, it has a whole bunch of them).

If you have any other questions feel free to message me, or just continue speaking here. whatever you're comfortable with.

Thank you so much 😭 💛
no worries happy to help 😊
Original post by mochi101
Hi!
I’m currently in year 12 (into my third month now) but I’m finding it really stressful...
My exam board is AQA and eventhough we did that for gcses as well I feel like I’m at a disadvantage to everyone 😭 I feel so dumb compared to my classmates and my grades are a sight for sore eyes!
Anyone else who did or is doing aqa chemistry can you lend some tips on how to revise and how to make notes?
Much appreciated 🥺🙏🏻

heyy, i’m in yr13 and i don’t aqa in my sixth form but i felt the same exact way at the beginning of the year and through most year 12. It honestly does get better with time, dedication and practise. What i did specifically is quiz myself regularly using quizlet, there should be some flash cards for your exam board for you on there. I also did the summery questions and end of chapter repeatedly and checked my progress. flash cards might help also as well purchasing a revision guide. i got the cgp revision guide and it was a life saver! Chemistry is a difficult subject and does take time for you to get your head around it but it will get better. Hope this helps x
Reply 5
@thatgirlada thank you for the suggestions! 🥰
Original post by mochi101
Hi!
Much appreciated 🥺🙏🏻

Hi! I was literally in the exact same position as you but I'm slowly getting better, I started Year 12 A-Level Chemistry and didn't understand simple topics but now I'm quickly learning it and catching up to my classmates if you're struggling to understand the Basic Fundamentals of chemistry I'd really advise you to use something like Snap revise. Whenever I watch youtube videos I feel like they're more targeted at people who already know the topic and I don't really learn from it unless I already know the topic and go over it in a video, what I personally do is watch Snaprevise videos on their website and write notes in my book (yes, it is a paid resource, to be honest, £10 a month but I still feel like it's personally a good investment.) and then when I understand it goes more in-depth with YouTubers such as Elliot Riontul and improve my notes. This helped boost my understanding of Organic Chemistry and in about 2 weeks I went from not knowing what an atom is to catching up with the majority, and it's a much better feeling when you understand what's going on.

Hope it helped :smile:
So I just started organic chem (year 12) and ive been getting A* in physical chemistry. But for some reason after every lesson i do in organic chemsitry i get more confused. Does anyone have any tips?
Reply 8
Original post by Mohamed Idris
Hi! I was literally in the exact same position as you but I'm slowly getting better, I started Year 12 A-Level Chemistry and didn't understand simple topics but now I'm quickly learning it and catching up to my classmates if you're struggling to understand the Basic Fundamentals of chemistry I'd really advise you to use something like Snap revise. Whenever I watch youtube videos I feel like they're more targeted at people who already know the topic and I don't really learn from it unless I already know the topic and go over it in a video, what I personally do is watch Snaprevise videos on their website and write notes in my book (yes, it is a paid resource, to be honest, £10 a month but I still feel like it's personally a good investment.) and then when I understand it goes more in-depth with YouTubers such as Elliot Riontul and improve my notes. This helped boost my understanding of Organic Chemistry and in about 2 weeks I went from not knowing what an atom is to catching up with the majority, and it's a much better feeling when you understand what's going on.

Hope it helped :smile:

Tysm for the suggestions!
Reply 9
Original post by luizasmith230
So I just started organic chem (year 12) and ive been getting A* in physical chemistry. But for some reason after every lesson i do in organic chemsitry i get more confused. Does anyone have any tips?

As most of the replies above, I also suggest doing loads of exam practise

Quick Reply

Latest