The Student Room Group

Bio-medical science access course

Hi , I’m interested in doing an access course in bio-medical science. I have looked at many, but what worries me, is that some colleges require at least 3 days a week attendance and cost about £3000, yet some offer an online course at half the price. I am a mature student with a full time job, do the online option would be much better, but has anyone done this course online and got into uni or is there a risk of working toward a “worthless” qualification that no university will recognise?
I've done an offline access course, and the universities I've spoken to tend to be OK with Access courses, but they are less preferred to A Levels. Not all universities accept Access courses though.

I'm considering an online access course myself.

So long the diploma is backed by one of the external qualification boards e.g. Gateway, Access to HE, Acentis, it should be OK.

You might want to check with the university and degree course you want to apply to. For biomedicine, you would want to check the degree program is accredited by the biomedical society and you have the right number of credits at the right grade for the course.
As above, not all universities accept all access courses, so you should contact any unis you want to apply to with details of the access course you plan to take (i.e. provider, what units would be taken, etc) to make sure it is acceptable for them.

In terms of funding, you may be able to get an Advanced Learner Loan from SFE to fund an Access to HE course. You need to check with the Access course provider to see if their course is eligible for funding from that though. The bonus is if you are funded by an ALL, then subsequently complete a full degree, you get the ALL written off :smile:
Original post by Newton1804
Hi , I’m interested in doing an access course in bio-medical science. I have looked at many, but what worries me, is that some colleges require at least 3 days a week attendance and cost about £3000, yet some offer an online course at half the price. I am a mature student with a full time job, do the online option would be much better, but has anyone done this course online and got into uni or is there a risk of working toward a “worthless” qualification that no university will recognise?

@Newton1804
Hello! I teach on an Access to HE course. You can take out a advanced learner loan if you have all ready done a Level 3 course like A levels before, if not, you will be funded by the funding bodies.

It is worth talking to your local FE provider, as the online version of Access courses have a very high drop out rate and poor success ratings in comparison to on site delivery. Alot of FE colleges are embracing a more blended learning approach from 2021, so it is best talking to the provider.

If you get out an advanced learner loan and you go on to get a degree, your course fee's for that year are written off

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending