The Student Room Group

I’m in my 20’s, yet I act like a 70 year old.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by FinalFoe
What is your favourite television programme? I like Only Fools and Horses.

I was referring to things such as typewriters and comptometers but in answer to your question I like Porridge, Dad's Army and Father Ted. I'm also partial to Laurel and Hardy.
Reply 21
Original post by Rufus the red
I was referring to things such as typewriters and comptometers but in answer to your question I like Porridge, Dad's Army and Father Ted. I'm also partial to Laurel and Hardy.

The first three I like. The last I just always thought were clowns.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
I wholeheartedly agree. :five:

Spoiler

I like computers and coding but nothing beats seeing some well oiled cogs and cams in a lovely mechanism.

Spoiler

The first three I like. The last I just always thought were clowns.

Do you have any favourite episodes as regards the first three?
Laurel and Hardy do veer towards the slapstick but I still like it. Flying Deuces is very good.
What is your favourite television programme? I like Only Fools and Horses.

I s'pose u also like Last of the Summer Wine too then? Seems like ppl I met in UK who liked one, liked the other.

Talking 70s British TV... I liked The Sweeney and Z-Cars and ofc The Professionals lol! Thx to my coursemates for showing me this stuff... if we go American TV from same era then Rockford Files... and for intercultural what 70s show can ever beat Monkey?!! OFY!! We don't have such gr8 TV shows now they all take themselves too seriously :biggrin:

Reply 25
Do you have any favourite episodes as regards the first three?
Laurel and Hardy do veer towards the slapstick but I still like it. Flying Deuces is very good.

Porridge: Anyone with David Jason playing the old murderer Blanco. It showed Jason was ready for leading man status and to finally emerge from Barker’s shadow.

Father Ted: The talent show one, it was a rare occasion where Ted got to win.

Dad’s Army: The episode where they take the museum over and Jones Sr appears.

You?
I'm a carnage girl who adores her cocktails, cognac and spirits. :fangs:
I also keep a few cigars and pipes in my collection- well guarded and beyond the reach of all toy animals known to have smoking habits. :tongue:
Reply 27
Original post by candydiva
I s'pose u also like Last of the Summer Wine too then? Seems like ppl I met in UK who liked one, liked the other.

Talking 70s British TV... I liked The Sweeney and Z-Cars and ofc The Professionals lol! Thx to my coursemates for showing me this stuff... if we go American TV from same era then Rockford Files... and for intercultural what 70s show can ever beat Monkey?!! OFY!! We don't have such gr8 TV shows now they all take themselves too seriously :biggrin:

Yeah, those are good. On the Buses, I think you would like, it is about two bus drivers in the 1970’s who although they are middle aged, still try and date women in their 20’s.

There is a realism to aspects of it as industrial unrest features (comically) throughout.

The On the Buses movie beat one of the Bond films at the box office, despite having a fraction of the budget of the latter.

That is how popular the show was with ordinary working people.
Porridge: Anyone with David Jason playing the old murderer Blanco. It showed Jason was ready for leading man status and to finally emerge from Barker’s shadow.

Father Ted: The talent show one, it was a rare occasion where Ted got to win.

Dad’s Army: The episode where they take the museum over and Jones Sr appears.

You?

Porridge: I like the one where they're making illicit alcohol and storing it in the cisterns of the toilets.
Father Ted: I'd agree with you or say the one where the three priests visit.
Dad's army: I like the one where they compete against Square's men.
Reply 29
Porridge: I like the one where they're making illicit alcohol and storing it in the cisterns of the toilets.
Father Ted: I'd agree with you or say the one where the three priests visit.
Dad's army: I like the one where they compete against Square's men.

Favourite Only Fools and Horses episode? For me, Strained Relations, the funeral of Grandad and the first appearance of Uncle Albert.

David Jason has now gone back to doing Open All Hours which I am mixed on. On the one hand, the original series was very good. However, Jason is so much more than comedy (as seen by A Touch of Frost).

Barker was a solid experienced comedian but Jason was always on a different level.
(edited 3 years ago)
Favourite Only Fools and Horses episode? For me, Strained Relations, the funeral of Grandad and the first appearance of Uncle Albert.

I haven't watched many and none recently so I can't really pass judgement.
Yeah, those are good. On the Buses, I think you would like, it is about two bus drivers in the 1970’s who although they are middle aged, still try and date women in their 20’s.

There is a realism to aspects of it as industrial unrest features (comically) throughout.

The On the Buses movie beat one of the Bond films at the box office, despite having a fraction of the budget of the latter.

Have you seen The Young Ones?
What is your favourite television programme? I like Only Fools and horses

haha im 17 and i love only fools and horses - what a show !!!
Reply 33
I haven't watched many and none recently so I can't really pass judgement.

You would enjoy them. Particularly the early series probably.
Reply 34
Original post by Marindeon
Have you seen The Young Ones?

Yes, I like Bomb especially.
You would enjoy them. Particularly the early series probably.

At the moment I'm working through black adder with my family.
I don’t like swearing, alcohol, tattoos or drugs or smoking, I don’t like contemporary tv and prefer programs and music from the 70’s and 80’s.

I worry about everything and I am constantly saving, so that I leave something to my family when I die.

At work, I don’t like discussing topics like sex and I love talking about past politics. I frequently find myself admonishing co-workers for discussing non-workplace appropriate subjects.

I am a man in my mid 20’s yet I act like a 70 year old woman.

I think nothing tht you've said sounds like a 70 yr old woman. You just sound responsible (esp w saving which young ppl struggle to do these days)? Good for u.

Thx for the idea! This sounds good. I will find it... it's prolly my type of movie yeah. "Industrial unrest" sounds so quaint in 2020 but I read a lil' about this in a pols class lolz! The papers featured an infamous dude called Derek Robinson aka "Red Robbo" does he feature? Amazon workers need this dude now...

As for beating Bond well maybe that was coz it was the 70s so Connery was out...that xplains the boxoffice drop for Bond.... r u talking Moonraker era for xample?
Reply 38
At the moment I'm working through black adder with my family.

Yes, the WW1 season is my favourite of those.
Yes, the WW1 season is my favourite of those.

I'm looking forwards to that one (mainly due to my separate interest in the world wars) but as my family insist on watching it all together we're getting through it pitifully slowly.

Quick Reply

Latest