The Student Room Group

Edexcel A level Mechanics help/advice

Hi,

I am currently doing a level maths in college however i don't understand mechanics at all i have tried asking my teacher for but that didn't help at all.

We did yr1 mechanics last year and i didn't understand anthing at that time and now in college we are starting yr 2 mechanics and i am so confused as to what's going on.

I really don't want to fail but it seems like I will on mechanics the way things are gong.

Any advice??
Try going back to the basics? It's going to be hard going on to y2 if you don't have a solid foundation to work on. Revise using old materials, memorise all the mecessary formula, look up practice questions with explained answers or watch video tutorials, and maybe ask a classmate or teacher or someone who feels confident to explain it to you. Teachers should be happy to help? If not, there are tutors or student mentors (if you have them at your school). Once you have that down, it should be easier to build on top
Original post by cassielle
Try going back to the basics? It's going to be hard going on to y2 if you don't have a solid foundation to work on. Revise using old materials, memorise all the mecessary formula, look up practice questions with explained answers or watch video tutorials, and maybe ask a classmate or teacher or someone who feels confident to explain it to you. Teachers should be happy to help? If not, there are tutors or student mentors (if you have them at your school). Once you have that down, it should be easier to build on top

Thanks for the reply.

The thing is we did yr1 Mechanics in lockdown so i think it is a weakness in our class-but I have tried asking my teacher before and she just said to do the questions in the book which I already did but didn't get so that was useless. At the begging of the year we did do a test and i did get 0 in the section too so she is deffinately aware i dont understand. we don't have student mentors or tutors in our school to help.

I think though i am going to watch videos for AS content and try again from the begginig. Do you know of any good Youtube channels/videos/websites to help?
Original post by prettyprincessA
Hi,

I am currently doing a level maths in college however i don't understand mechanics at all i have tried asking my teacher for but that didn't help at all.

We did yr1 mechanics last year and i didn't understand anthing at that time and now in college we are starting yr 2 mechanics and i am so confused as to what's going on.

I really don't want to fail but it seems like I will on mechanics the way things are gong.

Any advice??

I was in quite a similar position to you, I used to hate mechanics! I would recommend starting from the beginning and refreshing your memory to make sure you are confident before moving on.

So to refresh your memory/ learn the content I'd recommend:
- Examsolutions (loads of useful videos for the majority of regular maths and most of FM)
- TL Maths (again the same)
- Dr Frost Maths (powerpoints, questions, the lot!)

The best way imo to improve at maths is practicing, some websites I recommend:
- Mathsgenie (papers for each topic, he also has videos but I've never watched them)
- Physics and Maths tutor for loads of questions, it's mainly old spec organised so it's a bit messy but the questions are the same at the end of the day!

If you have any specific questions you're struggling with, feel free to send me a pm or ask on here!
Original post by jduxie4414
I was in quite a similar position to you, I used to hate mechanics! I would recommend starting from the beginning and refreshing your memory to make sure you are confident before moving on.

So to refresh your memory/ learn the content I'd recommend:
- Examsolutions (loads of useful videos for the majority of regular maths and most of FM)
- TL Maths (again the same)
- Dr Frost Maths (powerpoints, questions, the lot!)

The best way imo to improve at maths is practicing, some websites I recommend:
- Mathsgenie (papers for each topic, he also has videos but I've never watched them)
- Physics and Maths tutor for loads of questions, it's mainly old spec organised so it's a bit messy but the questions are the same at the end of the day!

If you have any specific questions you're struggling with, feel free to send me a pm or ask on here!

Thank you. This is reallly useful.

I have used some of these webisites before and will check the other websites out too!

Quick Reply

Latest