The Student Room Group

Public Health ST1 2021

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I know a lot of non-medics on my cohort applied successfully for pay protection (coming from NHS/local government/civil service roles), I think it's fairly routine and provisions are made for this.

As someone coming from a role at PHE, I just had to request pay protection and provide a copy of my contract and payslip as evidence of my current salary. The HR process took forever, but that wasn't due to the complexity of my request....just the joys of HR.

Ahh cool!
I don’t qualify for extra moneys, was just curious 😂
Does anyone know if on-call pay is the same for medics and non-medics?
Reply 382
that WG killed me - 30 th percentile. out of curiosity any of you guys can give me some feedback on resources you used for this part of the exam. I used jobtest pro for all three section.
Does anyone know if on-call pay is the same for medics and non-medics?

I believe so, yes.

Original post by canad
that WG killed me - 30 th percentile. out of curiosity any of you guys can give me some feedback on resources you used for this part of the exam. I used jobtest pro for all three section.

I used JobTestPrep too and found it invaluable for both the RANRA and WG.
Reply 384
Original post by adayasatiger
Guys, I have to share this because I know I DM'd with a couple of you about how much luck plays a part in all of this:

Just got the AC feedback. Apparently I did really well on the WG (97%), averagely on RANRA (74%), but my SJT score (not percentile) is 46. 46 is also the absolute minimum in order to be considered any further. Basically, one wrong question more and I wouldn't have got to interviews AT ALL (and my final rank is Top 20). All of you who didn't get a place this year - it's really just luck, don't take it to heart or like a comment on your competence.

(my ego has somewhat deflated after this :biggrin:)

Thanks for sharing. Mine was kind of opposite in that I did best in the SJT. Not really sure how as I didn’t use any practice tests for it (and I used JTP for the WG and RANRA).

Does anyone know what proportion the assessment centre and interview contributed to the final rank?

My advice for anyone doing the tests would be use JTP for the WG and RANRA. As for the SJT, it's probably more useful to speak to people who work in PH than doing any practice tests.
(edited 3 years ago)
Does anyone know how the test scores are weighted for ranking? I got 61 on W-GCTAUK (84th percentile), 51 for RANRA (44th percentile) and 52 for SJT (52nd percentile).I'm keen to work out where I actually ranked to help decide whether to apply again next year as I have a family so probably couldn't move out of London to train.I definitely think I could have done better on the ranra with a bit more prep, but I'm not really sure on SJT as some of the questions I was trying to think about being deferent so may have asked for help/guidance too much. I don't know what else I could really do to prepare.Thanks in advance for any extra insight you can offer.
Original post by PublichealthLH
Does anyone know how the test scores are weighted for ranking? I got 61 on W-GCTAUK (84th percentile), 51 for RANRA (44th percentile) and 52 for SJT (52nd percentile).I'm keen to work out where I actually ranked to help decide whether to apply again next year as I have a family so probably couldn't move out of London to train.I definitely think I could have done better on the ranra with a bit more prep, but I'm not really sure on SJT as some of the questions I was trying to think about being deferent so may have asked for help/guidance too much. I don't know what else I could really do to prepare.Thanks in advance for any extra insight you can offer.

I think they are weighted 25% for WG, 25% for RANRA and 50% for SJT (but I could be wrong). I’m not sure how they calculated the rank this year but in normal years I think the assessment centre only makes up 30% of your score, so in order to improve your rank it makes more sense to work on improving the selection centre/interview as it contributes so much more to your overall rank.
I think they are weighted 25% for WG, 25% for RANRA and 50% for SJT (but I could be wrong). I’m not sure how they calculated the rank this year but in normal years I think the assessment centre only makes up 30% of your score, so in order to improve your rank it makes more sense to work on improving the selection centre/interview as it contributes so much more to your overall rank.

Fab thanks. I think I would be good at interview but need to get there first. If I do apply again I'll focus more on sjt and ranra.
Fab thanks. I think I would be good at interview but need to get there first. If I do apply again I'll focus more on sjt and ranra.

Sorry, my mistake but I thought your scores were all above the minimum needed to get an interview. Were those scores actually the minimum required to pass the assessment centre with higher scores needed to get to interview?
Sorry, my mistake but I thought your scores were all above the minimum needed to get an interview. Were those scores actually the minimum required to pass the assessment centre with higher scores needed to get to interview?

They were all above minimum scores required to get through to interview, but didn't get through to interview as others did better (and there were quite a few others on shortlist without an interview!). I think I was around 250-300 out of the 600 or so who applied this year but let down by my ranra score. I think if I had an interview I would do ok as have had plenty of practice, but probably wouldn't get London without significant improvement on ranra and sjt. Thanks again.

Yeah there’s a minimum score in each bit to pass and then the interview cut off will depend on how well everyone has done. I remember they sent an email this year saying there were more people passing than usual this year
Has anything come up on the references tab for anyone yet? Mine is still blank but it seems some specialities sent requests out as soon as people accepted
Has anything come up on the references tab for anyone yet? Mine is still blank but it seems some specialities sent requests out as soon as people accepted

The only References-related thing I can see is a button that still lets me amend mine (as in, change people/contact details). Under the References tab I only see 'You have not yet applied to any Applications with associated reference requests. When you do the details will be displayed here.' Is that the same for everyone?
Original post by adayasatiger
The only References-related thing I can see is a button that still lets me amend mine (as in, change people/contact details). Under the References tab I only see 'You have not yet applied to any Applications with associated reference requests. When you do the details will be displayed here.' Is that the same for everyone?

Yeah mine is just the same!
I was just a little concerned as for my partner and my friends specialities, that tab updated straight away after accepting but it’s reassuring that it’s not just me .
I’ve just emailed the recruitment team for clarification on the reference process so will let you know what they say :smile:
As someone else who met the threshold but didn't get invited to interview, it would be really interesting to hear how people who did get through scored. Thanks all.

(Score in brackets being the threshold needed to pass, followed by my T-score, followed by percentile)
I got:
WG (45)- 59 -77%
RANRA (46) - 51 - 44%
SJT (46) - 48 - 33%
WG 64 90%
RANRA 60 77%
SJT 68 98%
I actually did way better in maths last year but didn’t get a place that time, guess it doesn’t count for much though!
Hope that is helpful x

As someone else who met the threshold but didn't get invited to interview, it would be really interesting to hear how people who did get through scored. Thanks all.

(Score in brackets being the threshold needed to pass, followed by my T-score, followed by percentile)
I got:
WG (45)- 59 -77%
RANRA (46) - 51 - 44%
SJT (46) - 48 - 33%
You didn't get invited to interview with those scores? Wow.

Yeah I did! I got an offer :smile:

Yay, congratulations and thank you for sharing.

Sorry. Clearly not paying attention. Congratulations :smile:
WG 64 90%
RANRA 60 77%
SJT 68 98%
I actually did way better in maths last year but didn’t get a place that time, guess it doesn’t count for much though!
Hope that is helpful x

Great scores! You mentioned how your RANRA score was lower than last year, how did the others compare? And can I be cheeky and ask where you ranked (approx)?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending