The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oxford Mum
Thanks to everyone who voted for me in the tsr awards

how do i vote!
Original post by azby1098
how do i vote!

The TSR community awards are like the "oscars" of TSR. Every year, TSRians vote for their favourites.

First they are invited to nominate their favourites in several categories.

Although I was not nominated for best help in universities, I was nominated for:

Member of the Year
Most Supportive Member
Favourite Oldie
and Agony Aunt (my favourite sideline on TSR)

Last year I won (if I recall) Most Supportive Member and (inexplicably) Flirt of the Year. I came runner up in the best help in universities category.

To vote, click on this link

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1594

All the categories are there. Just click on the link and then choose from the poll at the top of the link

I think there are 4 days left to vote.
The TSR community awards are like the "oscars" of TSR. Every year, TSRians vote for their favourites.

Although I was not nominated for best help in universities, I was nominated for:

Member of the Year
Most Supportive Member
Favourite Oldie

Last year I won (if I recall) Most Supportive Member and (inexplicably) Flirt of the Year. I came runner up in the best help in universities category.

All the categories are there. Just click on the link and then choose from the poll at the top of the link

voted for you in all 4 categories this morning!!
Original post by azby1098
voted for you in all 4 categories this morning!!

:heart:
Reply 424
Original post by elilast
Hi all, just wanted to let you know about the Oxford outreach events calendar which you can find here: https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/increasing-access/events-calendar

There are a bunch of events coming up including taster days for students in Scotland and NI, Chemistry taster days and a virtual humanities study day for BAME students. Most of them are free for state school students so would recommend checking them out!

Can't speak for vegans, but I've actually been pretty surprised at how nice the veggie food at St Hilda's is! We had vegan and vegetarian options for all meals last term (not all colleges do!). Some meals are definitely better than others but overall it's definitely on the better side compared to other canteen food I've had.

Thank you for sharing. I signed up for the chemistry taster day - when will I know if I got in?
Original post by GCM42
Thank you for sharing. I signed up for the chemistry taster day - when will I know if I got in?

Hope you get in. My elder son went on a modern languages taster day once and said it was great!
Reply 426
Hope you get in. My elder son went on a modern languages taster day once and said it was great!

Thank you :smile: I hope so too. I voted for you in the TSR awards - hopefully you win

Since I go to a private school, will this affect my chances of getting in?
Original post by GCM42

Sorry I'm not running the event, so I'm not sure! I'd say email the people running the event if you're not sure ([email protected]).

Also, just to note, when I went onto the web page it does specify that this is for state school students: "Booking is open for a Taster Day Balliol will be hosting for Year 12 students from state schools who are interested in studying Chemistry."

I'd recommend checking out the Chemistry faculty website & keeping an eye out for the full open day in July if you don't manage to get onto this one though!
Original post by RichE
The most up-to-date published application data by college and subject is at:

https://public.tableau.com/views/UniversityofOxford-CollegeSuccessRates2019/CollegeSuccessRates?:embed=y&:display_count=yes&:showTabs=y&:showVizHome=no

But that data is for entry in 2019, so there have been two (or 1.5) admissions cycles since then.

I think it's important not to dwell on these data, as they don't tell you much about the academic quality of the field, and forget all the processes Oxford has to distribute candidates around the colleges. Also they can change markedly and quickly - e.g. Brasenose's numbers have come down a lot in the last two years.

The colleges receiving the most applications in the last cycle were Worcester, St John's, Magdalen, Keble, and Christ Church who each received more than 1,000. Worcester received the most (about 1,317) closely followed by St John's (1,289). Brasenose was mid-table with 656. As has frequently been pointed out though, since students can be moved between colleges, the overall chances of getting a place tend to be equalised. We would say though that there is more chance of an offer coming from Brasenose if you to apply to us (as opposed to an offer from another college) now than there was a few years ago, when we imported a smaller number of students.

Brasenose Admissions
Original post by GCM42
Thank you :smile: I hope so too. I voted for you in the TSR awards - hopefully you win

Since I go to a private school, will this affect my chances of getting in?

If it says state school, then I would imagine it is just for state school pupils.

A pity really, as my elder son went to private school and he enjoyed a modern languages taster day.

You could always email the organisers, as Elilast suggests.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
The colleges receiving the most applications in the last cycle were Worcester, St John's, Magdalen, Keble, and Christ Church who each received more than 1,000. Worcester received the most (about 1,317) closely followed by St John's (1,289). Brasenose was mid-table with 656. As has frequently been pointed out though, since students can be moved between colleges, the overall chances of getting a place tend to be equalised. We would say though that there is more chance of an offer coming from Brasenose if you to apply to us (as opposed to an offer from another college) now than there was a few years ago, when we imported a smaller number of students.

Brasenose Admissions

This is very helpful information. I didn't know Keble was on the most popular list, but I guess things change year on year.
Reply 431
Yes, it would be a shame if that is the case. I've sent an email as Elilast suggested.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/visiting-and-outreach/outreach-events/year-12-chemistry-taster-day-0

The link doesn't specify the school type of applicants, so hopefully it is available for all students - especially since it's online

Member of the Year
Most Supportive Member
Favourite Oldie

Hi Oxford Mum! I just voted for you in all four categories! Good luck! Thank you so much for all of your help!! You deserve the award!
Original post by leona00w
Hi Oxford Mum! I just voted for you in all four categories! Good luck! Thank you so much for all of your help!! You deserve the award!

Thank you very much! Voting closes today.
Original post by GCM42
Yes, it would be a shame if that is the case. I've sent an email as Elilast suggested.

https://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/visiting-and-outreach/outreach-events/year-12-chemistry-taster-day-0

The link doesn't specify the school type of applicants, so hopefully it is available for all students - especially since it's online

As I have said, elder son went on a taster day, and he was at private school. I am secretly hoping you will get in.
Here is the final chapter of Oxford Demystified. Written by my elder son, it is called "If you get in".

Happy reading.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=84921100&highlight=Oxford%20Demystified
I will be repeating Oxford Demystified on a rolling basis throughout the year, as more people join this thread. Hope you've enjoyed it.
Hi all! Me again - just to let you know applications are now open for Wadham's 5 day summer school in Biology and Human Sciences, Classics, and modern foreign languages. Applications close at the end of May, looks like a great opportunity for current Year 12 students :smile: https://www.wadham.ox.ac.uk/news/2021/march/summer-school-applications-now-open
Original post by elilast
Hi all! Me again - just to let you know applications are now open for Wadham's 5 day summer school in Biology and Human Sciences, Classics, and modern foreign languages. Applications close at the end of May, looks like a great opportunity for current Year 12 students :smile: https://www.wadham.ox.ac.uk/news/2021/march/summer-school-applications-now-open

Thanks, as ever @elilast
@BrasenoseAdm How shall Oxford regard Y13 candidates who complete the autumn series of A-level examinations in 2021?
Is taking examinations in all subjects likely to be considered less favourably than taking them in a single subject? Or will they be perceived more positively due to covering the entire syllabus for their assessments and having more conventional results?

Is the overall attitude equivalent to 2020's, where resits were considered equal to the first sitting of A2 examinations, or does this no longer apply?
(edited 3 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending