The Student Room Group

classical civilisation and History A-levels

Is it a good idea to take both history and classical civilisation as an a level. I think I am mostly stressed about what happens after sixthform or college. I enjoy both but im worried I would be missing out on another subject that i could be doing instead that would make me look more cross curricular if you feel me.
Im in year 12, I do both latin and greek, and one of my friends does latin, greek, history. he loves it, if it makes you feel any better, doing both classics and history. bluntly classics + classical civilisation are very niche subjects so they look good. they make you look a bit different from the person that just did a generic subject. but, I can also say I was told by my classics teacher to do latin and greek but not to do classical civilisation because it is not as good for an a level. but if you enjoy it do it. I have heard both sides of the story but friends that took the subject loved it, and history is always considered interesting. don't worry about seeming more cross curricular - unis want to know you have a general interest in something, like ancient history, not that you can simply get good grades in a range of subjects.
Reply 2
Original post by Cat.killeen
Im in year 12, I do both latin and greek, and one of my friends does latin, greek, history. he loves it, if it makes you feel any better, doing both classics and history. bluntly classics + classical civilisation are very niche subjects so they look good. they make you look a bit different from the person that just did a generic subject. but, I can also say I was told by my classics teacher to do latin and greek but not to do classical civilisation because it is not as good for an a level. but if you enjoy it do it. I have heard both sides of the story but friends that took the subject loved it, and history is always considered interesting. don't worry about seeming more cross curricular - unis want to know you have a general interest in something, like ancient history, not that you can simply get good grades in a range of subjects.

I didnt really think of it like that. I always thought that its all about getting the grades and having hobbies, but that drops a weight off of my shoulders. Thank you for your input. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest