The Student Room Group

Shall I drop a levels?

Hi, I picked my 3 a levels in the summer. Started at a college in September this year. I’m finding them so hard. I don’t like just working for them either. I only chose a levels as I felt there wasn’t any other options rather than them. My college is also 20 miles away and I have to get the train. But I just feel like I’m wasting my time. I am struggling and what’s the point of sitting exams I know I’ll fail in 2022. I think I’d enjoy and apprenticeship tbf. However my auntie has paid for a years worth of train journeys to college. So I feel like I have no choice and I’m trapped doing something I really don’t enjoy. Does anyone have any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by Ollie200211
Hi, I picked my 3 a levels in the summer. Started at a college in September this year. I’m finding them so hard. I don’t like just working for them either. I only chose a levels as I felt there wasn’t any other options rather than them. My college is also 20 miles away and I have to get the train. But I just feel like I’m wasting my time. I am struggling and what’s the point of sitting exams I know I’ll fail in 2022. I think I’d enjoy and apprenticeship tbf. However my auntie has paid for a years worth of train journeys to college. So I feel like I have no choice and I’m trapped doing something I really don’t enjoy. Does anyone have any advice?

I also don’t want to go to UNI either so idk why I chose them but now I feel trapped. I have a job and I prefer going there than to college
Hello Ollie,
I understand your dilemma. What's your major in college?
Original post by Ollie200211

I was in a similar situation a long time ago, and had wished I didn't do A Levels to begin with, too. :smile: I decided to stay and see out the year, do the AS exams and the following year, changed to a Level 3 course instead at a different college. It was the best decision of my life, I chose A Levels because it 'looked better', but I ended up getting into the same unis I was going to apply to anyway with that Level 3 qualification in the end.

The reason it was such a good decision is because I was finally doing exactly what I wanted to do, rather than what people were telling me to do, I always wanted to study art at that particular college, but I was too obsessed with the idea of art being not a viable career/having the 'reputation' of A Levels, which quickly no longer matters once you have a degree/you're working in your field. Life tip, go for whatever looks attractive to you career wise, and what you feel will get you there, but will also make you happy. If an apprenticeship is something that seems attractive, the idea makes you happy, you feel like it'll land you to the career you want, then definitely go for it.

Most of my friends who did apprenticeships around 2014-2016, ended up now still working in those same fields their apprenticeships were in, so apprenticeships do offer stability in that it usually paves the way for a career in your sector. You're just somewhat locked into that career/similar jobs. Apprenticeships start through out the year around Jan/Feb/March too I believe, so if you did leave now you could go straight into an apprenticeship, if you really do want to not see the year out.

In regards to your aunt paying for the years travel if you did want to leave, even if you left for the entire year and started your apprenticeship in September, you said you're working, you could always slowly pay her back over time. I'm sure your aunt just wants you to be happy, and you should definitely only choose to do something for yourself and not in debt to anyone!
What are you studying?
Reply 5
Original post by Tutor Sidney
Hello Ollie,
I understand your dilemma. What's your major in college?

In the UK we don't have majors. The OP is probably doing 3 A levels of equal importance which could be in any mix of subjects
Reply 6
Original post by dramacoolfan
I was in a similar situation a long time ago, and had wished I didn't do A Levels to begin with, too. :smile: I decided to stay and see out the year, do the AS exams and the following year, changed to a Level 3 course instead at a different college. It was the best decision of my life, I chose A Levels because it 'looked better', but I ended up getting into the same unis I was going to apply to anyway with that Level 3 qualification in the end.

The reason it was such a good decision is because I was finally doing exactly what I wanted to do, rather than what people were telling me to do, I always wanted to study art at that particular college, but I was too obsessed with the idea of art being not a viable career/having the 'reputation' of A Levels, which quickly no longer matters once you have a degree/you're working in your field. Life tip, go for whatever looks attractive to you career wise, and what you feel will get you there, but will also make you happy. If an apprenticeship is something that seems attractive, the idea makes you happy, you feel like it'll land you to the career you want, then definitely go for it.

Most of my friends who did apprenticeships around 2014-2016, ended up now still working in those same fields their apprenticeships were in, so apprenticeships do offer stability in that it usually paves the way for a career in your sector. You're just somewhat locked into that career/similar jobs. Apprenticeships start through out the year around Jan/Feb/March too I believe, so if you did leave now you could go straight into an apprenticeship, if you really do want to not see the year out.

In regards to your aunt paying for the years travel if you did want to leave, even if you left for the entire year and started your apprenticeship in September, you said you're working, you could always slowly pay her back over time. I'm sure your aunt just wants you to be happy, and you should definitely only choose to do something for yourself and not in debt to anyone!

Thank you this is really helpful. I’m glad it worked for you. I might consider all of this!
Reply 7
Original post by hootdoot04
What are you studying?

Business, geography and politics :frown:
never knew that. Anyway I was requesting to be your tutor helping you with your assignments once you start

Quick Reply

Latest