The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Help

Hello,

I am currently writing a personal statement and I have gone over the number of lines that I am allowed. Would it be acceptable to put " // " between each paragraph to show where the paragraphs are our would it be a better idea to actually shorten the amount lines I have by cutting some of the lengths down?

Thanks in advance.
Shorten the amount of lines
Good morning,

As the user above posted rather than using '//' I would take a bit of time trying to shorten your personal statement slightly. Think about whether you can rephrase any sentences to make them shorter, or if there are any sentences you can afford to lose. Every sentence within your personal statement should count, if there are any sentences that you feel do not add any additional value to your statement, these can be removed to make space for you to add in line breaks to improve the structure of your statement.

I hope this helps, however if there's anything else I can help with, please feel free to send us a message! Thanks, Carrie :smile:
Original post by togs11
Hello,

I am currently writing a personal statement and I have gone over the number of lines that I am allowed. Would it be acceptable to put " // " between each paragraph to show where the paragraphs are our would it be a better idea to actually shorten the amount lines I have by cutting some of the lengths down?

Thanks in advance.

Hey @togs11 :^_^: I'd agree with the above, I'd say it's preferable to try cut down your statement rather than going for "//". To add to the above advice, you can ask someone to read over your statement for you to look out for things you are repeating or aren't as relevant. A friend, family member or teacher might spot something that can be rephrased or shortened that you've not noticed yet.

Best of luck with your application!
- Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending