The Student Room Group

how to get a 6 or above in gcse sciences

hi will memorising the whole revision guide and doing past paper questions repeatedly get you a higher mark in the exams?
yes but that's probably not going to help now they've been cancelled. Also its not the best way to go about it in a normal year. Might want to try and understand everything so you're ok for A levels.

Normally, I'd say practice questions all the way and look at the mark schemes
thank you for all your help :smile:
Original post by glamourprincess
hi will memorising the whole revision guide and doing past paper questions repeatedly get you a higher mark in the exams?

I got an 8-7 in my combined science mock and what I do is:

1) Watch freesciencelessons and make notes.
Make sure you actually understand the topic (this is key, you should do this even before trying to memorise something) because it makes it so much easier to remember. Watch the video multiple times to make sure the information sticks or if you don't understand it.

- Also using different coloured pens or writing words in capital letters helps you to memorise things.

2) Once you understand, do exam practice questions and mark them.
- Make sure you understand where you went wrong so you can know for next time. Write corrections down and if you want you can retry the question. Paying attention to the wording in the mark scheme is important too.

3) Make flashcards
-Keep going over the flashcards, even if you can remember it bc thats how information is stored into the long term memory.

Also I wouldn't recommend trying to memorise the whole revision guide. It's better to make clear notes for a revision guide/ make flashcards rather than trying to remember information
Memorizing - no, learning - yes.

Some people will say that all GCSEs test is memorization (which is true to a certain extent) to get a higher grade you'll want to understand the material.

Practice questions are so helpful! Do a lot of them, but I would suggest leaving some of the more recent papers till nearer your exams/mocks.

Quick Reply

Latest