The Student Room Group

Fluid Mechanics help (Bernoulli)

Question part b and c
Reply 1
I am not quite sure myself to be honest, so take what I say as an idea and not necessarily completely correct.

You will need to use trigonometry to get the vertical height between the two different levels of the water. In ideal conditions the water should not be in (bulk) motion nor the air in the thin tubes as long as the bulk flow rate of air in the large cylinder is steady. So I guess they mean Pascal's principle is applied to the air in the thin tubes - i.e. from the moving flow of air in the pipe, (static) pressure is transmitted instantly to the water via the thin tube. I think you would then work out the pressure difference based on the hydrostatic equation.

For the velocity, I am guessing they may want you to rearrange Bernoulli's in terms of the velocity, possibly using information you've obtained earlier from the hydrostatic equation.

For the volumetric flow rate, assuming it is steady, it should be the same at all points. I think they want you to use all the information above and find a reduced formula in terms of the pressure.
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest