The Student Room Group

MA Social Work Interview - University of Manchester

Hey everyone!

I have an interview coming up for an MA in Social Work at UoM - I’m wondering if anybody has had an interview this year? If so, how was it?

Of course I’m not expecting people to tell me the interview questions, but I’m interested to know how you found it. Was there anything you wish you knew beforehand or spent more time preparing on? Any tips? I have the list of resources that the uni have sent through to me and have studied them a lot.

I’ve been waiting a long time to have an opportunity to do a masters degree, so I really want to do well. It’s always reassuring to hear of other peoples’ experiences.

Many thanks for your time and I hope everyone is keeping safe :smile:
Original post by LuluJ1991
Hey everyone!

I have an interview coming up for an MA in Social Work at UoM - I’m wondering if anybody has had an interview this year? If so, how was it?

Of course I’m not expecting people to tell me the interview questions, but I’m interested to know how you found it. Was there anything you wish you knew beforehand or spent more time preparing on? Any tips? I have the list of resources that the uni have sent through to me and have studied them a lot.

I’ve been waiting a long time to have an opportunity to do a masters degree, so I really want to do well. It’s always reassuring to hear of other peoples’ experiences.

Hi,
Which unis have you applied to for masters...? I am applying as well :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by maliboo99
Hi,
Which unis have you applied to for masters...? I am applying as well :smile:

Hey 😊

I’ve applied to Uni of Manchester, Manchester Met and Leeds Beckett. MMU was my first choice because I didn’t think i’d stand a chance with UoM, but now I’ve been shortlisted for an interview there, I’m definitely hoping I get in.

Where are you applying to?
Hey 😊

I’ve applied to Uni of Manchester, Manchester Met and Leeds Beckett. MMU was my first choice because I didn’t think i’d stand a chance with UoM, but now I’ve been shortlisted for an interview there, I’m definitely hoping I get in.

Where are you applying to?

best of luck L
Reply 4
Original post by Nicole.russ
best of luck L

Thank you so much! Still a few days to go - I’m getting so impatient haha
Reply 5
Hey everyone!

Hi,

How did your interview go? I have my interview in a few weeks and i'm a bit nervous I finished my undergraduate degree in 2016 so it's been a while.

Do you have any tips?

Also did you hear back from Leeds Beckett?
Original post by EmGlo
Hi,

How did your interview go? I have my interview in a few weeks and i'm a bit nervous I finished my undergraduate degree in 2016 so it's been a while.

Do you have any tips?

Which unis did you apply to ??
Reply 7
Original post by Nicole.russ
Which unis did you apply to ??

Sheffield - interview in March
Manchester - interview in March
York - interview in April
Leeds Beckett
Manchester Met

I haven't heard back from Leeds Beckett or Manchester Met but I only handed my application in on 25th so still hoping as Leeds Beckett would be most convenient.
Have you had any interviews yet?
Reply 8
Original post by EmGlo
Hi,

Do you have any tips?

Hey!

Well done on getting an interview. I finished my undergrad in 2015 so I know exactly what you mean! The interview was fine, it was really relaxed and it felt more like a friendly chat.

To be honest, I didn’t answer the questions all that well - you know how it is when you spend ages preparing and then it all goes out of the window when you’re nervous haha. I finished the interview feeling like I failed but I got an offer the next day.

As for tips, just think of the common social work questions you might be asked and think of your personal experiences and examples. Also, make sure you have some questions to ask as well. There were two interviewers in mine - a lecturer and a service user so I made sure to ask them both questions.

I did hear back from Leeds Beckett - I had an interview scheduled for next week but I withdrew my application from them because i got an offer from UoM. I got my application in quite early though so you’ll definitely hear from them soon I’m sure. I actually received an email from LBU with the written test question in advance, whereas for Manchester, you won’t get them until 45 minutes before your interview.

Good luck!
Reply 9
Hey!

Well done on getting an interview. I finished my undergrad in 2015 so I know exactly what you mean! The interview was fine, it was really relaxed and it felt more like a friendly chat.

To be honest, I didn’t answer the questions all that well - you know how it is when you spend ages preparing and then it all goes out of the window when you’re nervous haha. I finished the interview feeling like I failed but I got an offer the next day.

As for tips, just think of the common social work questions you might be asked and think of your personal experiences and examples. Also, make sure you have some questions to ask as well. There were two interviewers in mine - a lecturer and a service user so I made sure to ask them both questions.

I did hear back from Leeds Beckett - I had an interview scheduled for next week but I withdrew my application from them because i got an offer from UoM. I got my application in quite early though so you’ll definitely hear from them soon I’m sure. I actually received an email from LBU with the written test question in advance, whereas for Manchester, you won’t get them until 45 minutes before your interview.

Good luck!

Hi,

Congrats on your offer from UoM! I also got my offer from them this week :h: Sounds like we maybe had the same interviewers as mine were super laidback & friendly too haha.

Still have a couple of interviews lined up at Sheffield Uni & MMU but 99% sure Manchester will be my first choice!

Quick Reply

Latest