The Student Room Group

Can I bring notes to a university interview?

I have an interview at the University of Manchester for Physics with Astrophysics on March 6th. In my personal statement I mentioned a course that I had done and some stuff I had learnt from it. I finished this course 2 months ago and so I’m not completely fresh on it (I lost access to the content when it ended). I do, however, have a notebook full of notes on the course (information, derivations, calculations etc.). Am I allowed to bring this with me to help me talk about the stuff, or to at least showcase my knowledge and passion for physics?
You could email and ask for permission but I would be very surprised if they said yes. I think it would be a much better idea to refamiliarise yourself with the content by looking through your notebook beforehand in your own time. They'd understand your forgetting the occasional thing as they know you're under a lot of pressure and it's not an exam but, especially for technical interviews, having notes to hand could be construed as cheating.

Most importantly, I would assume not unless you are given explicit and clear permission otherwise.
Original post by Alect704
I have an interview at the University of Manchester for Physics with Astrophysics on March 6th. In my personal statement I mentioned a course that I had done and some stuff I had learnt from it. I finished this course 2 months ago and so I’m not completely fresh on it (I lost access to the content when it ended). I do, however, have a notebook full of notes on the course (information, derivations, calculations etc.). Am I allowed to bring this with me to help me talk about the stuff, or to at least showcase my knowledge and passion for physics?
Hi,
Although it would be helpful to know as much as you can without having to look at notes, simply because the university probably just wants to get the best idea of what you know, bullet points probably won't hurt. If you write yourself small bullet points on specifics that you may forget so you only have to look at the paper for a small amount of time, then I can't see this being much of an issue.
Best of luck,
Meg 🙂
MA Popular Music Student.
hey, what type of questions would they ask in this interview?
I disagree with the posters above.

In my experience working in and with admissions processes for over 20 years interview staff aren’t trying to catch you out. If you want to bring notes then bring them and explain to the interviewer that you lost access to the online materials but brought your personal notes along if they ask about the mooc.

Likewise having notes with a list of questions you have about the course and university is absolutely a great idea for interviews. It’s easy to forget your questions when you’re on the spot so having notes will be helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending